Recomple kernel with new options w/o ruining everything
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javacrypto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Recomple kernel with new options w/o ruining everything Reply with quote

Hi

When I was installing Gentoo, I had some hardware problems, and while I was trying to troubleshoot them, I set the kernel CPU option to 486 instead of AMD K6-2. Well, I fixed the hardware problem, but now I am running a 486 kernel on a K6-2, which is probably slowing it down.

I want to recompile the kernel for the AMD, but I don't want to lose what I already have, because it runs, and I don't want to break it. The reason I am cautious is that last time I tried this, the "make clean" step deleted all my drivers and the sound stopped working, and then the compile failed and I never got it working again. That was a year or so ago, and right after that happened, I dumped Gentoo for some other distro. But now I'm back, and I want to do it right.

It looks like I should copy:

/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-rc5

to:

/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-rc5-AMDK6

Then I should change the /usr/src/linux symlink to point to the new directory. After that, I should be able to run genkernel --config and do some experimenting.

So, would that work?

Thanks.

Chris
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well first off ... get over it... kernel compilation is something you should get real familiar with.

Code:
#cd /usr/src/linux #cp .config ../ #make mrproper #cp ../.config ../linux #make menuconfig

change your processor and then
Code:
#make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

after the kernel has compiled
Code:
#mount /boot #mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.old #cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

emerge anything like alsa or nvidia-kernel now that needs to build against the kernel adn install to /lib/modules/2.x.x-whateveryourun
UncleTom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to copy /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-rc5, just do a
Code:

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

I haven't used genkernel, so I can't help you with that, sorry.

rommel suggested to copy your current .config file for safety and I agree with that. Personally, I keep a copy of the .config file together with the bzImage in /boot. I also give these files a name and a number, so I usually have something like bzImage-gentoo-2.4.20#1 together with a config-gentoo-2.4.20#1, then come ...#2, ...#3 and so on.

In your case, #1 would be your 486 kernel and #2 the new AMD kernel.

That way, I can always go back to a previous kernel if I do something really stupid and the kernel won't boot. grub makes this especially easy.
javacrypto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I poked around long enough and found what I was looking for.

Apparently, the Makefile has a line called EXTRAVERSION. Right now, this line says:

Code:
gentoo-r5

I could change this to something like:

Code:
gentoo-r5-AMD

and compile as normally, and it should make a whole new tree in /lib/modules, so my current drivers don't get lost when the new kernal compiles.

I'll try this out.

Chris
javacrypto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a close look at the genkernel script and found that it places its compiled files into the folder where the /usr/src/linux link is located, and it would also put the modules in /lib/modules/KERNEL-VERSION.

To stop genkernel from messing with the current installation, I renamed the directory from:

/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5

to:

/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5-AMD

Then I fixed the /usr/src/linux link to point to the newly-renamed location. I also changed the line in the Makefile to read:

EXTRAVERSION="gentoo-r5-AMD"

Then I used genkernel as normal. Everything worked fine. The old modules were left alone in case something went horribly wrong. New modules were created. I changed the grub menu to point to the new kernel and rebooted, and it worked with no problems.

As a bonus, the NVidia drivers started working!

Thanks for the help.

Chris
javacrypto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a close look at the genkernel script and found that it places its compiled files into the folder where the /usr/src/linux link is located, and it would also put the modules in /lib/modules/KERNEL-VERSION.

To stop genkernel from messing with the current installation, I renamed the directory from:

to:

Then I fixed the /usr/src/linux link to point to the newly-renamed location. I also changed the line in the Makefile to read:

Then I used genkernel as normal. Everything worked fine. The old modules were left alone in case something went horribly wrong. New modules were created. I changed the grub menu to point to the new kernel and rebooted, and it worked with no problems.

Thanks for the help.

Chris
javacrypto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to:

Thanks for the help.

Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: