Install using LiveCD Kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian351c
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Install using LiveCD Kernel Reply with quote

I have installed Gentoo Linux on a few systems with varying levels of success, and the thing I would like most to do is to use the LiveCD kernel on my system. For me, this would potentially eliminate many headaches with my latest install, as the LiveCD boots perfectly but I am experiencing several issues configuring my own kernel with my NForce2 based motherboard. Besides, the LiveCD bootup is much cooler... ;-)

The install docs for Gentoo 1.4 state:
Quote:
Note: If you want to use the same configuration as the LiveCD kernel or base your configuration on it, you should execute cd /usr/src/linux && cat /proc/config > .config && make oldconfig. If you aren't using xfs-sources, this will ask some questions about differences between your kernelchoice and xfs-sources.

This would seem to be the answer for me except for one thing: the "gentoo" kernel on the 1.4 LiveCD is a 2.4.21-gss kernel and the latest xfs-sources are 2.4.20. This leads to several complications when I try to follow the install instructions (e.g. "make oldconfig" asks a whole bunch of questions, the modules won't compile correctly [missing deps for starfire.o], and I end up with a kernel that is different from the LiveCD kernel).

I have done quite a bit of searching and have found several threads that discuss this issue, but none that provide a solution. Would it be possible for a developer to tell us what sources were used for the 1.4 LiveCD kernel and perhaps post the config file somewhere? This would at least provide a sarting point for compiling my own "LiveCD like" kernel.

Thanks!

References:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=70365
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=65368
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two references nearly solve your problem. You've even posted half the answer. :-D

You were nearly there. This thread says the non-smp kernel is gs-sources (gss). Try using the .config from the livecd with that.

To get the config, do this in the chroot when your on the livecd:
Enter your kernel source directory, which you have to symlink to your gs-sources directory if your trying to be like the livecd.
Change the symlink:
Code:
cd /usr/src/
rm linux
ln -s gs-sources-whatever linux

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux

Get the livecd .config from the proc filesystem and save it as .config, which is what kernel configs are saved as:
Code:
cat /proc/config >.config

As the sources might have changed a little, do this to get asked for any changes.
Code:
make oldconfig

I hope that explained what is actually happening when your doing
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux && cat /proc/config > .config && make oldconfig

Puggy
ian351c
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, Jesore. After years of building FreeBSD kernels, the Linux kernel build process is just a tad different... ;-)

I tried the "LiveCD" kernel build instructions with gs-sources-2.4.22_pre2, since I could not find 2.4.21-gss sources (lots of _rcX, but no release sources). The kernel built fine and installed fine, as did the various NVidia packages my system requires. The kernel is still somewhat different than the one on the LiveCD though: there is no "Starting Hardware Detection" phase as there is on the LiveCD for instance.

I am also runing into a couple new problems: hotplug is now broken (it hangs my system), and eth0 seems to disappear off the face of my kernel whenever I try to access it (to start dhcpcd for instance). I am going to go back and rebuild and reinstall my gss kernel to see if that clears anything up, as I have been mucking around with three different kernels in the last couple days.

Again, it would be nice if we could get ahold of some first hand information on the LiveCD kernel build process...

Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: