Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The Radeon HD 48xxx+ with Compiz state tracking thread.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hurricane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: The Radeon HD 48xxx+ with Compiz state tracking thread. Reply with quote

This thread is here, to track if and when that driver will finally support compositing, 3D, hardware-accelerated video, and the recent (>=2.6.29) kernel interface.
But mostly about getting the card to run with CompizFusion all day long, without crashing, or at all.

It’s not for older cards, that already work. It’s not for the Xorg (open source) driver. It’s just for the HD 48xx and newer series, with the fglrx driver.
But in case Xorg gets to a state that is better than fglrx in hardware acceleration, this thread will end with a comment, explaining this, and then be abandoned.

From my current knowledge of version 8.600 (the leaked version), I list here, what I know:
• The new kernel interface is not implemented
• Composite rendering does still not work. With Xinerama, it is completely blocked by the driver.
• The hardware video codec is very poor, and creates an extreme contrast of very pixellated images, and very little space between huge glowing black and white areas.
• The driver still crashes. A lot.
• Sometimes, you can get compositing to work. But then it’s a bug, race-condition dependent, and *will* lock up. Try to press the power button to shut your system down, as soon as you notice it! (<3 seconds) This can save your data and allow normal shutdown. Do not try to switch to the consoles!
• Without compositing, the driver seem to run fine. But it crashed anywhere between some hours and some minutes, every day I tested it.
• »amdxmm.so« crashes the driver on X start. Renaming it can help. But the missing file obviously just creates another problem.
• The VirtualBox kernel modules, when loaded at the same time as the driver, cause random crashes.
• The current driver right now is 8.612 (Catalyst 9.5). I could not test it yet, because I don’t want to go back to an older kernel.
• All in all, I can not recommend buying an ATi card, except if you really never want to do anything beyond the most basic uses. Which makes buying such a card pointless.

Please help updating any of this data
, when you are here, and it changed. Because I will not check back here more often than once every 1-2 months.

Keywords: fglrx, ATi, AMD, Radeon, HD 4850, HD 4870, ati-drivers, catalyst, proprietary, newest, most recent, leaked, update, HOWTO, help, stable, compiz fusion, CompizFusion.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean with
Quote:
The current driver right now is 8.612 (Catalyst 9.5). I could not test it yet, because I don’t want to go back to an older kernel.
?

what is your current kernel ? 2.6.29 ?

there's a dirty patch on bgo: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=266819 which will let it run but it's far from 100% working:

with compositing enabled or 3D acceleration there are dozens / thousands of error messages of the following kind:

Quote:
[24703.692315] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_open] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7fae08994000,handle:0xff9f0000
[24704.282868] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_open] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7fae07b16000,handle:0xd12ac000

Quote:
[25373.455332] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_close] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7f99414db000,handle:0xde418000
[25373.474575] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_open] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7f99414dc000,handle:0xde53a000
[25373.475126] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_close] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7f99414dc000,handle:0xde53a000
[25373.505037] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_open] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7f99414db000,handle:0xde65b000
[25373.505606] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_close] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7f99414db000,handle:0xde65b000
[25373.878231] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_close] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7f99415fe000,handle:0xda86c000
[25373.878261] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_open] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7f99415fe000,handle:0xda86c000

for me currently the 3 most biggest culprits preventing me from working really productively with this driver is:

1) hardlock / hang during VT-switch, during attempted shutdown; not 99% stable (like nvidia's driver)

2) sub-optimal support of compositing (including videos, 3D acceleration, support for the invert plugin in kde 4.3, slow maximize animation when using compiz AND 100% sure hardlock with VT-switching)

3) lack of support of recent kernels (this currently includes 2.6.30), nvidia's usually always supporting newer kernels with rc1 or rc2 being out

others:

4) it's not supporting advanced features like: preemptible rcu, fully preemptible kernel; newer allocaters like slqb

5) it seems to screw up reiser4 hence resulting in data loss or corruption

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
hurricane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a general note:

This is no support thread for personal problems, bugs, or big discussions.
List the actual state, and new information, short and precise.

If you want help on a problem, that you could not solve, open a separate thread, and put the solution, in the most compact format, back in here.

Thank you.

Last edited by hurricane on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
hurricane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
what do you mean with
Quote:
The current driver right now is 8.612 (Catalyst 9.5). I could not test it yet, because I don’t want to go back to an older kernel.
?

Yes. »=sys-kernel/zen-sources-2.6.29-r1« to be exact. But gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r5 is marked stable too.
The driver still uses an API that was marked deprecated for such a long time, that they now removed it from the kernel.
I currently use my onboard nVidia chip for Linux. Slow, but at least I can trust it. And I can’t live without the custom Compiz keyboard/mouse shortcuts anymore.

kernelOfTruth wrote:
there's a dirty patch on bgo: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=266819 which will let it run but it's far from 100% working:
with compositing enabled or 3D acceleration there are dozens / thousands of error messages […]

I guess this is why 8.600 did not allow me to enable it. I prefer a stable system. ^^
The errors look, like the new interface adapter patch is a really dirty patch, that I do not want to touch with a 10 lightyears pole. ^^

kernelOfTruth wrote:
1) hardlock / hang during VT-switch, during attempted shutdown; not 99% stable (like nvidia's driver)

I found something that mostly solves this. It’s a demon called »atieventsd«, that you have to add to the default runlevel.

kernelOfTruth wrote:
2) sub-optimal support of compositing (including videos, 3D acceleration, support for the invert plugin in kde 4.3, slow maximize animation when using compiz AND 100% sure hardlock with VT-switching)

How did you get compositing to work at all? Did you have to disable something else for it? Did you do it trough that indirect server trick? What exact driver version and card did you use?
If you can get compiz to work for 8 hours straight, without a crash, then please post your details and xorg.conf. They would be greatly appreciated.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurricane wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
what do you mean with
Quote:
?

Yes. »=sys-kernel/zen-sources-2.6.29-r1« to be exact. But gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r5 is marked stable too.
The driver still uses an API that was marked deprecated for such a long time, that they now removed it from the kernel.
I currently use my onboard nVidia chip for Linux. Slow, but at least I can trust it. And I can’t live without the custom Compiz keyboard/mouse shortcuts anymore.

I wish I had an temporary onboard nvidia-chipset solution like you :P
I practically can't live without compiz and its shortcuts, advantages (negative effect), awn anymore but the wait (hopefully) shall be over soon - according to catalystmaker the new fglrx will be released next week

hurricane wrote:

kernelOfTruth wrote:
with compositing enabled or 3D acceleration there are dozens / thousands of error messages […]

I guess this is why 8.600 did not allow me to enable it. I prefer a stable system. ^^
The errors look, like the new interface adapter patch is a really dirty patch, that I do not want to touch with a 10 lightyears pole. ^^

at least it works with 2.6.29 now ;)

hurricane wrote:

kernelOfTruth wrote:

I found something that mostly solves this. It’s a demon called »atieventsd«, that you have to add to the default runlevel.

sweet ! :D
thanks ! I'll give that a try and see whether that improves stability, I believe those VT-problems are partly also caused by uvesafb which I use but I'm not sure

hurricane wrote:

kernelOfTruth wrote:

How did you get compositing to work at all? Did you have to disable something else for it? Did you do it trough that indirect server trick? What exact driver version and card did you use?
If you can get compiz to work for 8 hours straight, without a crash, then please post your details and xorg.conf. They would be greatly appreciated.

no - not at all, I'm only using kind of a exotic configuration-scheme in xorg.conf after some trial and error until I got compositing to work (ah - so yes: I had to disable some stuff),
driver version currently is x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.602-r1 (self-made / -modified),

it seems to run with AIGLX and the following compiz-settings:
Code:
compiz --replace ccp --sm-disable
(also works great on nvidia)

the card is Asus EAH 4850 (the non-TOP version)

sure, I'd be gladly willing to try IF you show me a way how I can prevent those error messages from cluttering my log-files (especially /var/log/kernel.log), :P
hopefully catalyst 9.6 solves this problem with 2.6.29 so I can let it run for 8-14 hours :)

kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my xorg.conf, maybe you can get compositing to work with a similar config:

[snip]

discard the old config it leds pretty fast to hardlocks ... further down is a newer config which seems to work better (12+ hours and no hardlocks so far :D )

Last edited by kernelOfTruth on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, today I tested it a little more intensive + compositing and it all of a sudden turned the screen black and hardlocked (also no reboot via magic sysrq key) 8O

now I know what you mean :(

you could also try to use kde4.2 or kde4-9999 packages with compositing - they proved to be much more stable and tended to lock up way less than gnome + compiz

ssmaxss
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Status of my Radeon HD3650:
OSS drivers:

'+':
1) 2D works fast, EXA acceleration available. fglrx doesn't
2) Video plays fast, tear-free, Xv acceleration available. don't sure that there is tear-free video playback with compoziting and fglrx.
3) Compositing effects work with KDE 4.2.4's XRender based compoziting.
4) Works with latest X.org and kernel. fglrx doesn't
5) Everything is rock-solid, no crashes at all.

'-'
1) 3D support lacking right now, but looking at the state of <=r5xx cards and frequency of commits to r6xx-rewrite branch, I am sure there is no point in using fglrx for me. fglrx provides 3D accelration.

• All in all, I can not recommend buying any card other than ATi , except if you really need gaming right now and you are not satisfied with <=r5xx cards. Intel cards are slow, nvidia doesn't have normal linux drivers (==opensource) at all, which makes buying such a cards pointless.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this out: (more than 12 hours with compositing and zen-sources-2.6.30-zen1 with custom CFLAGS):
Quote:

Section "ServerLayout"

# The Identifier line must be present
# Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
# the relative position of other screens. The four names after
# primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
# of the primary screen. In this example, screen 2 is located to the
# right of screen 1.
# Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
# optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
# used. Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
# "SendCoreEvents".
Identifier "Simple Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
Option "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)
#
FontPath "built-ins"
# FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
# FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
# FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
# FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
# FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
# FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
# FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
# FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
# FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
# The module search path. The default path is shown here.
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/aquafont/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/aquapfont/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/arkpandora/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/arphicfonts/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/baekmuk-fonts/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/encodings/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/fireflysung/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/freefonts/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/hkscs-ming/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/intlfonts/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ja-ipafonts/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/jisx0213/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/kochi-substitute/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/liberation-fonts-ttf/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/mathematica-fonts/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/mikachan-font/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/terminus/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/texcm-ttf/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-gentium/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/unifont/"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/urwvn-fonts/"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
EndSection

Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.
# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
# This loads the font modules
# Load "type1"
# This loads the GLX module
Load "glx"
Load "GLcore"
# This loads the DRI module
Load "dri"
Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension
SubSection "extmod"
Option "omit xfree86-dga" # don't initialise the DGA extension
EndSubSection
Load "freetype"
# Load "xtt"
Load "xtrap"
Load "record"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
# Option "Xinerama" "off"
Option "AIGLX" "On"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Ctrl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence
# This allows clients to receive this key event.

Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
# Option "LeftAlt" "Meta"
# Option "RightAlt" "ModeShift"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# These are the default XKB settings for Xorg
# Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
# Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
# Option "XkbLayout" "us"
# Option "XkbVariant" ""
# Option "XkbOptions" ""
# Option "XkbDisable"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "kbd"
Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
# Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "deadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver
# Option "Resolution" "256"
# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
# almost every case these lines should be omitted.
# Option "BaudRate" "9600"
# Option "SampleRate" "150"
# Mouse wheel mapping. Default is to map vertical wheel to buttons 4 & 5,
# horizontal wheel to buttons 6 & 7. Change if your mouse has more than
# 3 buttons and you need to map the wheel to different button ids to avoid
# conflicts.
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)
# Option "Emulate3Buttons"
# Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice
# Option "ChordMiddle"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" # Explorer PS/2
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
# Mouse-speed setting for PS/2 mouse.
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button mice
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
# HorizSync 30-64 # multisync
# HorizSync 31.5, 35.2 # multiple fixed sync frequencies
# HorizSync 15-25, 30-50 # multiple ranges of sync frequencies
# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
Identifier "samsung SyncMaster 205BW"
HorizSync 31.5 - 82.2
VertRefresh 50.0 - 188.1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Modeline "1680x1050" 119.12 1680 1728 1760 1840 1050 1052 1058 1080
EndSection

Section "Device"

# The chipset line is optional in most cases. It can be used to override
# the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.
# Chipset "generic"
# The Driver line must be present. When using run-time loadable driver
# modules, this line instructs the server to load the specified driver
# module. Even when not using loadable driver modules, this line
# indicates which driver should interpret the information in this section.
# The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly multiple devices
# this section is intended for. When this line isn't present, a device
# section can only match up with the primary video device. For PCI
# devices a line like the following could be used. This line should not
# normally be included unless there is more than one video device
# intalled.
# BusID "PCI:0:10:0"
# VideoRam 256
# Clocks 25.2 28.3
Identifier "Standard VGA"
# Driver "vga"
VendorName "Unknown"
BoardName "Unknown"
EndSection

Section "Device"

#VideoRam 524288
# Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
Identifier "ASUS Radeon4850"
# Driver "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Device"

## ATI stuff
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true" ## off when Textured2D enabled
Option "UseFastTLS" "1"
# ### Experimental
Option "BackingStore" "on"

Option "RenderAccel" "True" # new
## ### forced turned off so TextureVideo is used
Option "VideoOverlay" "Off"
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "Off"
## Option "EnablePrivateBackZ" "on"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
## Driver "ati"
Option "TexturedVideo" "On"
# ### Set to 1 - better , set to 2 for compability, and 0 for basic
Option "Textured2D" "on"
Option "IgnoreABI" "on"
# Option "TexturedXRender" "on" # <-- hardlock
Option "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
BusID "PCI:6:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
Option "RenderAccel" "True" # goes into "device"
Identifier "Screen 1"
Device "ASUS Radeon4850"
Monitor "samsung SyncMaster 205BW"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
Modes "1680x1050"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
Modes "1680x1050"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1680x1050"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "RENDER" "Enable"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
Option "DAMAGE" "Enable"

## ati stuff
## Should be loaded automatically, but for good measure
Option "XVideo" "On"

EndSection

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: