Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Any joystick profiler for Linux with "modes" support?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eduardhc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Any joystick profiler for Linux with "modes" suppo Reply with quote

Hi,
I have an old Saitek X-45 that I'd like to start using with some flight simulator games I used to play some time ago under Windows, now that Wine seems to greatly improve compatibility everyday.

These kind of "complex" joysticks usually comes with a software that lets you directly reprogram the buttons to send keypresses to the game, taking advantage of the different modes it supports (mine has 2 mode switches with 3 positions every), so you can i.e. define 3 different modes, with different keybindings in each, that you change at play time by just changing the switch in the joystick.

Also they usually allows the user to define a button to act as a "shift" button, so you gain an additional set of modes while using the other buttons with that one pressed.

For Windows there was even an unofficial set of drivers (Dhauzimmer's) for that joystick that added even more features that original Saitek drivers.

I've seen that there a couple of projects like QJoyPad and joy2key out there, but none seems to provide such an advanced functionality. If there isn't really any similar software for Linux, then maybe I'll myself to create one (probably using any of these as a base) mysql.

Best regards,
Eduard
pelelademadera
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

may help xev and xmodmap.

open xev, press joystick keys and check the code of the key
then asign them with xmodmap like this, creating a text file like ~/joykeys

Quote:
keycode 223 = XF86Sleep
keycode 178 = XF86WWW
keycode 229 = XF86Search
keycode 236 = XF86Mail
keycode 230 = XF86Favorites
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay
keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext

this is for mm keyboard. but you can put something like a b or other letter corresponding to joystick keycode, then, run xmodmap with the file created as parameter whith the assignments

Code:
xmodmap ~/joykeys

sory for my poor english
Los habitantes de las islas Malvinas lo llaman gentoo, nombre en el que se basa la distribución GNU/Linux Gentoo, cuyo objetivo es la optimización para conseguir más rendimiento y velocidad en la ejecución.
------
eduardhc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, although I don't think this could cover the whole mode switch functionality and so. Maybe with some heavy scripting, but anyway too complex.
I've started digging into QJoyPad code, and I think I'll take some ideas from there.

Regards
Eduard
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: