Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Any luck with Xfree DRI support with r128 fb on iBook500mhz?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrishamant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Any luck with Xfree DRI support with r128 fb on iBook500mhz? Reply with quote

i'm having a hell of a time configuring my ibook with hardware acceleration in Xfree.. I've learned alot already.. but I can't get hardware acceleration to work.. when I emerge xfree-drm it seems to compile something as a module.. does this need to be loaded or something when I boot? if so how do I do this..

I've tried all kinds of different kernel configs and xfree configs...

I was told that when using Xeasyconf to keep driver selection on 'Auto' but everytime I do this X starts with these terrible slanted lines and can't see anything.. It seems to only work using Framebuffer..

Any help is appreciated..
TheFailMaster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem as you, and as far as I can tell it's a either a gentoo-specific issue or a problem with XFree 4.3: My PowerBook G3 Pismo was successfully running hardware accelerated X under YellowDog (which worked with only minimal tweaking) for the best part of a year before I moved over to gentoo (having been extremely impressed with the x86 version), but now (using the previously working XF86Config or otherwise) I just get a Cannot Read V_BIOS (5) message.

My searching over the past day or two has turned up numerous posts about this on the forums, but the solutions seem to be along the lines of setting Option UseFBDev. I know rage 128s can work properly on ppc (I've played tuxracer and glquake at good framerates! :) )

I'm going to try manually compiling (ie, not emerging) XFree 4.3 later and see I can isolate the problem. If not I might try reverting to an older version to see if that helps. My current working theory is that one of the gentoo patches to X isn't PPC friendly.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Glyn
muteaid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Check the XF86config-4 Reply with quote

hi, I got it working on my ibook 500mhz. the trick is having the proper resolution and bit depth in the config file.

Make sure your bit-depth is 16-bit, and also edit each resoultion "mode" in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to 1024x768.

looks at someone's working XF86Config from their iBook, and copy it verbatim to your config file's monitor resolution "mode" section.

Seems the iBook 700mhz and up are having an easy time setting up dri.

btw, with dri enabled, there is little difference to genreal speed, but now i can play gltron.
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspite of all instructions saying to accept the "auto" I've done so and before "startx" I would go into XF86Config-4 and change the driver from "ati" to "radeon". This is after emerging xfree-drm. But BEFORE you emerge xfree-drm you should go into /etc/make.conf and add the name of the driver you want to use into the USE flags. I add "radeon".

For hardware 3D acceleration you need dri also. Search the PPC forum for dri and you should find more help.
chrishamant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: this almost worked... Reply with quote

adding the "1024x768" almost worked.. xfree was able to come up.. but terribly slow.. that was this error on the console I started X from:
(EE) R123(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine

spewed continuously..

X ran sllloooowwwwllyy...

ironicly.. glxgears average about +50fps more than just a framebuffer..
but the UI is totally unuseable.. takes like a minute just to click focus windows.. but it was hardware 'accelerated' ...

here's a copy of my xconfig file
http://klaatu.kisinter.net/xconfig

and the glxinfo output
http://klaatu.kisinter.net/glxinfo

I was able to get DRI to work flawlessly on a newer iBook with a Radeon card inside..
chrishamant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: HAHAHA Reply with quote

got it..

recompiled agppart as module (was builtin)
and added

Option "AGPMode" "2"
into X config

worked like a champ :D :D :o :lol:

this is why I like linux.. when I can get something working I get all excited.. I feel as if I've accomplished something.. Mac OS just makes everything too easy :wink:

Last edited by chrishamant on Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheFailMaster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha. Result!

To get X working with acceleration on my Powerbook G3 I had to set

Code:
Option "ForcePCIMode" "true"

because none of the AGPModes seemed to work without the Idle timed out, resetting engine error. I'm still a bit baffled by this though -- my old yellowdog XF86Config device section looked like this:

Code:
Section "Device"
     Identifier "Card0"
     Option "HWcursor"
     Option "UseFBDev" "true"
     Driver "r128"
     "BusID" "PCI:0:16:0"
EndSection

-- no mention of ForcePCIMode. lspci tells me that it is an AGP 2x graphics board and the xfree log tells me it finds an 'ATI Rage 128 Mobility M3 LF (AGP)' I'd be interested if anyone has any ideas as to why this might be the case.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: