View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DagonSphere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: [BUG/SOLVED] Slim to respawn on Ctrl-Alt-Backspace Reply with quote

I just installed Gentoo from the x86 install disk (2008.0) and a stage 3 tarball, and got everything configured using the handbook. No sweat. From there, I installed Xorg and got that working correctly. I can use startx and get to the generic TWM -- mouse and keyboard work just fine.

The next step is to install a login manager. I'd like to use Slim instead of GDM or KDM. I emerged and configured it without a problem, using this guide http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/SLiM

Slim logs me in to TWM, and everything works fine. When I press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, it kills X as expected, and Slim does not respawn.

As a sidenote, I was able to get Slim to respawn in another distro (ArchLinux) by adding the following line to /etc/inittab.

Code:
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null

I tried to apply this concept to Gentoo. I removed xdm from the default runlevel, and modified /etc/inittab like the following:

Code:
x:3:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null

That didn't work. After doing some digging, I tried to modify it another way.

Code:
x:3:respawn:/etc/init.d/xdm >& /dev/null

That didn't work either. It seems that I cannot get Slim to start by using inittab. The only way I can get it to start in Gentoo is by adding it to the default run level using rc-update, which doesn't respawn when killed.

Code:
rc-update add xdm default

I tried digging through the /etc/init.d/xdm file to see if I could add a -d to the line that execs slim (to run in daemon mode). I tried modified the *) section of the case statement of the setup_dm function. Didn't have any luck, and I gave up.

Is there a better way to do this, other than hacking the init scripts to pieces. :roll:

EDIT: Interesting to note that, after a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, that ps does not report slim or xdm as running. Yet, when I issue an /etc/init.d/xdm start, it say's it has already been started. Hmmm. Wonder if it's just a leftover lockfile somewhere. Just thought I'd add this in case it meant someething to someone.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DagonSphere on Fri May 01, 2009 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a hack, but you could replace slim with a shell script that calls slim with the "-d" parameter, and then configure the script as your default DISPLAYMANGER in /etc/conf.d/xdm.
DagonSphere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabba - Thanks, yeah that would work, too. Until an update, I would imagine. I'm a little tweaked that I can't get the inittab way working. It just doesn't make sense. I have to be missing something simple.
tarpman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slim has an option in the config file to enable daemon mode without the command line argument, but it doesn't seem to work. bug 261713 is relevant.
DagonSphere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Guess I have to start checking bugzilla first :oops:

I just always assume I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks all!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: