View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: kde freeze [fixed] Reply with quote

I posted on this way back when kde4.2 came out. kde4.2.1 hasn't fixed it, and actually made it worse, so i'm not particularly hopeful for 4.2.2

KDE will just freeze for me. It never fails to do so. After it does, I have to hard reset my computer, because I can't get any input. No keyboard, no mouse, nothing. Usually it will do it during the splash screen, but sometimes I can be up and in the system for as long as 10 minutes before it freezes up. It seems almost completely random, except that it's sure to happen eventually.

KDE 4.1 didn't do this. Even KDE 4.0 didn't do this. But I can't downgrade to either of them.

Additionally, I seem to be able to open openbox, and launch whatever KDE processes I like from the command line without any troubles at all. So my current work around is openbox, run krunner, run plasma. Originally this had me thinking it had to be a kwin issue. But if I try and launch KDE with Openbox as my WM, it still freezes.

In 4.2.0, I could launch openbox, and then from inside that, launch startkde, and get into a fully working, non-freezing KDE environment. With KDE 4.2.1, that workaround also results in freezing.

I'm at the end of my rope, after trying to figure this out for the last two months. If anyone has any ideas of how I can even figure out which system is causing the problem, I'd be grateful.

Last edited by Timmer on Sat May 02, 2009 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be graphics driver, I use nvidia and had the same kind of problems with a certain driver. I don't remember what they were, but you can try reverting to an earlier version of your driver.

Everyone has to start somewhere, it depends on where you end up that counts! (>")>
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm experiencing something similar, however it only occurs on 2.6.28 kernels or later, no issues with 2.6.27.

I don't use kde itself, but ktorrent and a couple of other kde apps, and they'll just lock my machine up completely shortly after starting them up...
Non-kde apps don't give me any issues, although I haven't really tested "plain" qt apps yet.

I think the freeze occurs when the kde apps in question first access the internet, and it may very well be just a kernel config issue.
I doubt it's a graphics driver issue though, as most of the time I run ktorrent in Xvnc rather than a real X server, and even this never fails to lock up my box under 2.6.28 or 2.6.29...
Timmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my issue is different, because I can start up and use kde programs just fine. konqueror, kmail, ktorrent, plasma widgets that access the internet are all fine. It's just starting KDE itself that freezes my computer.
Timmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fixed itself the other day, after an upgrade to qt-4.5.1, so I'm guessing that qt4 just wasn't playing nice with my hardware or something. I must say, it's really nice to be able to use kde again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: