Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
preempt + smp = unresolved symbols in modules?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: preempt + smp = unresolved symbols in modules? Reply with quote

This post is mostly just to report the issue I'm having. I've done everything I can think of, and it is still broke. :p

I have both smp and preempt enabled. I removed the /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7 directory and let it be rebuilt. I've make mrproper and even reset my config by hand. But... with smp and preempt enabled in the kernel, after doing make dep, make clean, make bzImage, make modules, and make modules_install....

Code:
#depmod -ae
/modulename.o
depmod:        preempt_schedule_Rsmp707f93dd
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/... .../modulename.o

for every module.

Yeah I know it's experimental, but I thought I'd share my issues anyhow. And if anyone happens to have any suggestions that'd be cool, hehe, but I am getting the feeling that the error is just something that needs to be patched in the kernel.
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm... what kind of system do you have? (CPU and Motherboard/Chipset) Because I have a dual AMD 1900+ MP system on a Tyan Tiger MPX board (760MPX) and it's all working fine (finally).
Linux user #267375 - http://counter.li.org
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual 450 pm an Epox board (KP6-BS). The problem isn't really a runtime thing. I can run the kernel with preempt and smp on, etc, and it works fine. It seems more like a kernel compile issue.

I *think* I can load old modules compiled without preempt with a kernel compiled with preempt. I say I *think* because I think I was doing that at one point without realizing that I forgot to clear out the modules and make modules/install, etc after turning on preempt.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using gentoo-2.4.19-r7 with SMP (and the preemptive kernel patch) on a dual P3 1.0 GHz box with no issues. Sounds like something got confused in your kernel source tree.
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'm not sure what more I can do... I did make mrproper, redid the config by hand... how weird. maybe I should re-emerge the source and try again?
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well... I renamed my old source dir, re-emerged the gentoo-sources, renamed my old modules dir, and recompiled the whole thing...

...with no success. :p Screw it, no preempt for me. Same error on depmod.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: same problem ... Reply with quote

hi ..

i actually got the very same problem on both of my SMP machines. boards in both ASUS P2B-DS (rev02 and rev04 i think but im not sure), processors in the one machine are p2/350 and in the other p3/600, both running the final bios 1014... yet havent found any hints to solve this ...
bartszyszka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having this same problem specifically with pcmciacs. I tried unmerging the gentoo-sources, deleted the old kernel, unmerged pcmcia-cs, and then emerging everything again and configuring the kernel from the beginning, but still no luck. :(
rawler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: I'm also having problems with SMP + Preemptive kernel Reply with quote

I'm having similar problems.

What I find weird is the output given to me by ksyms

Code:

#ksyms -a | grep preemp
c0118808 preempt_schedule_R__ver_preempt_schedule

shouldn't there be something like _Rsmp_xxxxxxxx there instead of _R__ver_preempt_schedule?
rawler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Ok, my problem was solved by saving the .config, completetly unmerging gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r9, merging gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r10, make mrproper and copy over the old .config and recompile.

It now works like a charm.

N.B. just make mrproper and recompile didn't help me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: