Unable to determine VM for building from dependencies
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chix4mat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Unable to determine VM for building from dependencies Reply with quote

Hi all:

I've been struggling with this issue for a few days and haven't gotten anywhere. I've also searched these forums and Google and have been unable to find a fix, although I tried a hundred different things. I'm not sure if it's Python that doesn't work, or Java, or a combination of the two, but while I can compile python just fine, most any important Java-related dependancy fails with the error, "Unable to determine VM for building from dependencies". I've tried recompiling certain packages with -e, used python-updater, re-installed all Java-related apps and still have the issue.

When I compile anything that requires Java (using -e), the package that seems to always be brought up is db:
Code:
techgage rwilliams # emerge db
Calculating dependencies... done!

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-libs/db-4.5.20_p2-r1
 * db-4.5.20.tar.gz RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                            [ ok ]
 * patch.4.5.20.1 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                              [ ok ]
 * patch.4.5.20.2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                              [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                           [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                          [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                                         [ ok ]
/usr/portage/eclass/java-utils-2.eclass: line 307: /usr/bin/depend-java-query: No such file or directory
 * Unable to determine VM for building from dependencies:
NV_DEPEND: tcl? ( >=dev-lang/tcl-8.4 )
        java? ( >=virtual/jdk-1.4 )
        >=sys-devel/binutils-2.16.1  test? ( >=dev-lang/tcl-8.4 ) java? ( >=dev-java/java-config-2.1.6 >=sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.7 ) =sys-devel/automake-1.10*
        >=sys-devel/autoconf-2.61 sys-devel/libtool
VNEED:
 * ERROR: sys-libs/db-4.5.20_p2-r1 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called pkg_setup
 *               ebuild.sh, line 1273:  Called java-pkg-opt-2_pkg_setup
 *   java-pkg-opt-2.eclass, line   45:  Called java-pkg_init
 *     java-utils-2.eclass, line 2134:  Called java-pkg_switch-vm
 *     java-utils-2.eclass, line 2557:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *                              die "Failed to determine VM for building."
 *  The die message:
 *   Failed to determine VM for building.
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/db-4.5.20_p2-r1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/db-4.5.20_p2-r1/temp/die.env'.
!!! When you file a bug report, please include the following information:
GENTOO_VM=  CLASSPATH="" JAVA_HOME=""
JAVACFLAGS="" COMPILER=""

Another issue is that Java simply doesn't seem to be working, and I'm not sure how to fix it:
Code:
techgage rwilliams # java-check-environment
 * === Java Environment Checker ===
 * The purpose of this script is to check the sanity of your Java Environment.
 * We have significantly changed and improved the way Java is handled in many
 * respects.
 * Please refer to our upgrade guide for details:
 *      http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/java-upgrade.xml

* Checking fastjar ...                                                                         [ ok ]

* Checking vm_environment_files ...                                                            [ ok ]

* Checking user_settings ...
 * Running as root. Don't need to check user settings.                                          [ ok ]

* Checking generation_1_system_vm ...
/usr/bin/java-check-environment: line 185: java-config-1: command not found
 * No Generation-1 System VM is set! (no /etc/env.d/20java)
/usr/bin/java-check-environment: line 187: java-config-1: command not found
 * It doesn't look like java-config-1 sees any installed VMs.
 * It is most likely because you don't have a 1.4 JDK installed
 * This is required for generation-1 to work properly.
 * You will want to emerge =virtual/jdk-1.4*                                                    [ !! ]

* Some problems were found. Please follow the instructions above, and rerun java-check-environment

It says that jdk-1.4 needs to be installed, and I do have it installed (alongside sun-jdk and blackdown-jdk) and things are still broke. If I -e jdk-1.4, it calls upon db at some point, which fails. I also tried python-updater, but that again calls upon applications that end up failing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. There's a Java app I need to get working, but can't until this is fixed.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: