Lost at sea with Xen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Lost at sea with Xen Reply with quote

I have an amd64 machine which until recently was a happy Xen server. After a round of 'emerge -auvDN world' a few weeks ago, all hell broke loose. Kernel modules were failing or hard-locking the system, trying to start X likewise, and at boot time networking was failing mysteriously. (I've since read that coreutils newer than 6.11 may explain that last part, and a downgrade does appear to have helped to some extent.)

I'm not bothering to detail all the problems here because there are just too many of them, in kernel and userland, and the landscape has shifted a lot as I've tried various strategies to dig my way out. But as I try to get more information I only get more confused. There are two different Xen pages on the Gentoo wiki (that I know of), both fairly minimal, both out of date. Upstream is worse, with very little in the way of concrete HOWTO information (again, that I know of; Google isn't perfect). Seems that it used to be better. After all, I got it working once.

At this point I've decided that my best hope is to blow away my dom0 and start from scratch, and just pray that the problems I've been having were due to some screwup on my system that will go away if I just step through somebody's recipe for a working Xen dom0.

So, can anyone point me to such a thing for Gentoo, that's up to date with a recent release of the portage tree? Or is the state of Xen in Linux just so hopeless that there is no such thing any more? Judging by the deprecation of any kernel newer than 2.6.18 I'm afraid of the answer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: