View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirlark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: remapping the 'pause' key to delete Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just bought a new laptop, and the keyboard has one annoying physical layout problem. The pause key is right where I'm used to the Delete. Seeing as how I never use Pause for anything (I use CTRL-S/CTRL-Q for flow control) I figured I'd remap it it just delete anyway. I've managed to do this for X, using

Code:
xmodmap -e "keycode 127 = Delete"

127 was reported by xev.

I'm trying to do something similar but at the level of the console keymap. When pressing pause while showkey is running

Code:
^[[3~keycode 119 press
keycode 119 release

I've tried creating a modified version of the us keymap, with the added line

Code:
keycode 119 = Delete

But this causes very strange keyboard behaviour after pause is pressed, requiring me the enter further keypresses increasingly multiple numbers of times to have the effect of a usual single keypress.

I suspect the '^[[3~' has something to do with it and that showkey isn't reporting the pause key accurately. I know that pause is historically one of the really strange exceptions to standard keyboard protocols, sending multiple scancodes in sequence, so I'm not sure if this is a no-hoper.

Has anyone else tried something similar, or can someone give me some pointers...

Thanks
Malvineous
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run showkeys with -s (to list scancodes) it reports these:

0xe1 0x1d 0x45 // press
0xe1 0x9d 0xc5 // release

So as long as they're mapped to keycode 119 then you shouldn't have any problems.

The '^[[3~' is the keycode for Delete (which you can see if you run 'cat' and press the Delete key) so when you say you added the line "keycode 119 = Delete" to the keymap, did you also remove the line associating it with Pause? I'm not sure whether that would make a difference.

At any rate, if you're seeing '^[[3~' then it's correctly producing a Delete key event. I assume of course you really do mean Delete, and not Backspace!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: