Can no longer login locally.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Need4Speed
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Can no longer login locally. Reply with quote

After updating world a few days ago, I have been unable to login from a virtual terminal. It just says "Login Incorrect" like I had entered the wrong password. However, I am still able to login via ssh. I have no idea what's wrong. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to check?
Browser: uzbl
Email: mutt, offlineimap
IRC: weechat
News: newsbeuter
PDF: apvlv
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Can no longer login locally. Reply with quote

Need4Speed wrote:
After updating world a few days ago, I have been unable to login from a virtual terminal. It just says "Login Incorrect" like I had entered the wrong password. However, I am still able to login via ssh. I have no idea what's wrong. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to check?

Locales and keymaps, maybe?
Need4Speed
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can no longer login locally. Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
Need4Speed wrote:

Locales and keymaps, maybe?

Wouldn't that affect all input? Once I load an X session via ssh and screen, I can type correctly with my keyboard.
Browser: uzbl
Email: mutt, offlineimap
IRC: weechat
News: newsbeuter
PDF: apvlv
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that with the latest Xorg, switching to tty1 (CTRL-ALT-F1) will not always work. Some keystrokes aren't accepted. I'll have to type something like "rroott" or "rooottt" to get "root" at the login prompt. Maybe that is happening with your password (which would be impossible to tell w/o having the password echo *s to the screen). Fortunately tty2 (CTRL-ALT-F2) has never been affected by this peculiarity.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: