netcdf4 and hdf5 and such
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
its1louder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: netcdf4 and hdf5 and such Reply with quote

I find HDF and netcdf to be building blocks for a lot of other software I need. I find the versions in portage to be too old - hdf5 is only at 1.6.7 and the current is 1.8.3. There is a lot of difference between 1.6*-1.8*. netcdf4 is not supported at all. Interestingly netcdf4 seems to be re-architected with hdf5 as its foundation so the one depends on the other.

Anyway up until now I have been building these things by hand and installing to /usr/local. But it would be nice if there were real up to date ebuilds. I found this one on the bugzilla which kinda worked for me as long as I used USE="fortran -tools -threads".
https://bugs.gentoo.org/233297
basically to make it work you have to get the 1.8.2 ebuild, patch it and change the name to 1.8.3.

but I haven't found anything for netcdf4 or python-netcdf4 that works. I might have to learn how to make them myself but before I do anything hasty I thought I'd see if anyone else has done it first. Thanks!
its1louder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/264757

this patch works, kinda, but not with the above hdf5 1.8.3. Had to turn of hdf5 support in octave to make it work. This breaks the most recent matlab datafile types.
its1louder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end it doesn't work. Not sure why. Compiling by hand to /usr/local prefix works fine and leverages the portage installed szip and zlib.
shabbychef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: hdf5 ebuild sure buggy Reply with quote

I was having problems emerging the 'stable' hdf5-1.6.4 on amd64; I found I had to use gcc-4.1.2 instead of 4.3.*, otherwise emerge would bonk with an uninformative error. fiddling with -fortran and -cxx did not help me. as an experiment, I tried to emerge hdf5-1.8.4-r1, which is ~amd64; it emerged fine under gcc-4.1.2, but gave me the following:
Quote:

* QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may compile
* fine but exhibit random runtime failures.
* H5Defl.c:586: warning: implicit declaration of function 'H5HL_heapsize'
* talign.c:90: warning: implicit declaration of function 'h5tools_get_native_type'

* Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
* issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
* Homepage: http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/

FWIW, my version of Matlab (r2007b), uses HDF5-1.6.5. I would be somewhat surprised if M/W upgraded to any noncompatible 1.8 features any time soon;

cheers
its1louder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now I am bringing up a new workstation with unstable funtoo. We'll see if the hdf5 and netcd4 ebuilds work, I have no reason to doubt it other than your post. The portage stable hdf5 is more recent than I need but the netcdf4 is a little stale. Anyway the situation is much better than it was back in the summer when I started this thread. We'll see how they compile on a ~amd64 system.

I'm not using these libs with matlab at all, I do all my scientific programming in python. The python netcdf lib wants netcdf4.1 and HDF5 1.8.3. The next older python lib uses netcdf4.0 so the portage builds will satisfy that. A very satisfactory situation compared to last summer, if it all builds.
shabbychef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I am now able to get hdf5-1.8.4-r1 (marked stable) to emerge on amd64, even under gcc-4.3.4; this is a relatively recent phenomenon.

I only mention Matlab b/c you had mentioned 'octave' in your previous post. To keep compatibility with mathworks .mat file format, I would guess that octave has to use the same hdf5 version as Matlab, which is 1.6.5 for Matlab versions up to R2008b.

cheers,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: