View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panick007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll pretty much write this off as a bad joke. I mean C'mon! Valve was founded by a couple of ex-Microsoft employees (one of them headed up the Windows development group at one time). They actually investigated doing a Mac port of the original HL and the programmer basically had it done when Valve pulled the plug because they didn't think that they could support the Mac version with the same tenacity as they were the Windows version.

To sum up:

There will be no Mac port of Half-Life 2.
There will be a Linux port of the dedicated server for Half-life 2 multiplayer.
There is exactly a 0% chance of a Linux client port of Half-life 2 ever seeing the light of day.
Valve is and will continue to be a Windows-only developer for the forseeable future.
werfu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit fool to think but why couldn't we make an open source client? Half-Life 2 rely on UT2K3 engine, so why couldn't we do a mod for UT2K3 that would let us play Half-Life 2? It's a lot of work and I don't even know if Valve would let this happen, but it could be a good way to do...

And while we are here, it could be done with Half-Life too, as it's based on Quake 2's engine and Quake 2's sources are avaible for modding. Just redo the work Valve developer have done using ID stuff.... Deus Ex would be a nice mod for UT too... haaa, what a dream... :roll:
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

werfu wrote:
haaa, what a dream... :roll:

thats all it will be.. not enough people with enough knowledge to create support and have it run flawlessly :cry:
Blue Lightning
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

werfu wrote:
Half-Life 2 rely on UT2K3 engine

Where did you get that idea from?

Quote:
And while we are here, it could be done with Half-Life too, as it's based on Quake 2's engine and Quake 2's sources are avaible for modding. Just redo the work Valve developer have done using ID stuff....

Actually, I believe HL's engine was based on the Quake 1 engine. Even so, redoing all that work is a huge, huge project. Don't forget HL's skeletal animation system, environmental effects, scripting, etc... which was all original work and cutting edge at the time.

Quote:
haaa, what a dream...

Unfortunately, yes. However, I think there is a small chance that the source to the original HL engine might be released in a year or so, if we shout loud enough and they follow id's lead.
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWart wrote:
Gabe has already said, flat out, that they have no plans for a Linux port.

I pretty much have no hope of ever seeing a major title (barring Savage..) come out with a Linux client. I mean, the userbase of potential gamers in Linux, AFAIK, is smaller than the potential userbase of Mac gamers, and we all know how long it takes for Mac ports to come out....

That's not exactly true, predictions indicate Linux will surpass Macs by the end of the year or early next year, and you know that all Id titles will have a Linux port and so will Epic. S2games will probably be no different. As for the post above me HL was based on a heavily modified Q2. BTW, wasn't Valve made up of a bunch of ex-Microsoft employees, well if that's true well the buissness practices haven't changed.
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabe Newall and the other founder of Valve Software (can't remember his name) were members of the so-called "Microsoft Millionaires Club", a group of young programmers who made millions of dollars cashing in on early Microsoft stock options. It appears the acorn hasn't fallen far from the tree as Valve seems to be towing the Microsoft line pretty diligently. Although it is worth noting that iD and Epic, two of Valve's biggest competitors, are supporting Linux.

Ah well, games are the primary reason I won't be nuking my Windows partition any time soon.
totengraeber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As for the post above me HL was based on a heavily modified Q2."
it was based on a quake1 engine with backports from q2 but since they rewrote about 90% of the code one cant call it quake based.
;)
scnr
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic seems t have stopped to support linux, they have ported ut2k3 to linux to lure some people into runiing servers on their linux boxes, unreal2 is windows-only and besides that epic has chosen d3d as their main 3d api, opengl support (with ut2k3) sucks imho and it doesnt seem to improve much :(

So if you look at the major games designers (more engine developers) only ID is left and besides that some smaller game designers who dont support linux as good as id (bioware for example), but I have some hope with quality games as savage coming to linux.

/me still hopes for a tribes3 port for linux
AresTheImpaler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:
Epic seems t have stopped to support linux, they have ported ut2k3 to linux to lure some people into runiing servers on their linux boxes, unreal2 is windows-only and besides that epic has chosen d3d as their main 3d api, opengl support (with ut2k3) sucks imho and it doesnt seem to improve much :(

So if you look at the major games designers (more engine developers) only ID is left and besides that some smaller game designers who dont support linux as good as id (bioware for example), but I have some hope with quality games as savage coming to linux.

/me still hopes for a tribes3 port for linux

I didnt know they had stopped linux suport for ut2k4.. any links?
PovMan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude... ut2k4 will have the linux installer on one of the cds, like ut2k3. Read the announcement.
and epic didn't even make unreal 2. it just used the 2k3 engine.
ieatchicken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i've read epic's ut2k3 supported was somewhat halfhearted. They were only planning on releasing a server version and decided to have icculus(formerly of loki) port the entire game as an afterthought.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I didnt know they had stopped linux suport for ut2k4.. any links?

ut2k4 probably still features opengl (and thus linux) support, but that is just because they couldnt stop linux support with ut2k4 after they provided ut2k3 with linux support.
Quote:

and epic didn't even make unreal 2. it just used the 2k3 engine.

It definitly does not use the ut2k3 engine, it's engine version number is a lot different and opengl support is non-existant

Face it, epic has stopped supporting linux when they chose d3d instead of opengl, and if you look at the discussion on their boards way back about linux support for ut2k3 they give a strong impression that linux cliebnt support was thrown in at the last moment just to get more linux users to run the server.
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's really a shame. I wish professional developers had more respect for the open source community and wouldn't lock themselves into proprietary API's when writing their software. Of course, with Microsoft's warchest, I'm sure there are some very lucrative incentives for developers to support DirectX.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those "incentives" are probably what lured epic into using non-portable api's like d3d :(
Its glad to see ID still supporting OpenGL and portability

That the reason I didnt buy unreal 2 and ut2k3 (more because ut2k3 sucks when it comes to gameplay), my money goes to doom 3 and savage :P
ieatchicken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, d3d might be more compelling to developers due to technical reasons rather than some evil microsoft conspiracy. Hopefully all this will change with Opengl 2.0
Panick007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peaceable Frood wrote:
That's not exactly true, predictions indicate Linux will surpass Macs by the end of the year or early next year, and you know that all Id titles will have a Linux port and so will Epic. S2games will probably be no different. As for the post above me HL was based on a heavily modified Q2. BTW, wasn't Valve made up of a bunch of ex-Microsoft employees, well if that's true well the buissness practices haven't changed.

Linux games typically sell only a few thousand copies at best. A "hit" in the world of Linux games is about 5000 copies sold. In the Mac world a hit game will sell at least 100,000 copies. The gamer market for Linux frankly sucks. Yes Linux use will probably surpass Macs sometime soon but so what? Most of that will be people that are using it as a small fileserver in their homes and businesses looking to cut costs on servers and workstations.

Windows games sell a few hundred thousand copies for a hit game and a few million for a blockbuster, and large publishers like EA are saying that the PC game market isn't worth the investment anymore (when compared to consoles). If a few hundred thousand copies sold makes them say that I doubt that a few thousand or even tens of thousands will turn heads.

I play games on Linux when I can (ironically Linux supports old DOS and Windows titles better than Windows itself now), but for serious gameplaying I have a Windows XP box and a PS2. When a game comes out for Linux I'm ecstatic and I play it on Linux. When it doesn't I shrug and boot up XP or fire up the PS2. And it appears I'll be doing that for the forseeable future.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes Linux use will probably surpass Macs sometime soon but so what? Most of that will be people that are using it as a small fileserver in their homes and businesses looking to cut costs on servers and workstations.

Surpass mac on the desktop/workstation, the server market is a whole other deal

Epic just closed a deal with microsoft so my assumptions about epic and future linux support seem to be correct :(
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to see Microsoft bring Halo over to Linux :D
haha, like that would ever happen... but it could, look at how much money MS has put into banners and such at linux conventions, magazines, and websites
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: