unzip with non-latin characters?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: unzip with non-latin characters? Reply with quote

I'm not really sure where to put this, and I understand it's not actually a gentoo problem, but a Linux problem in general (or rather a zip problem?), but I haven't found a clear solution so here I go.

I cannot figure out a way to extract zip files that use non-latin characters. That is, I can extract them, but the names of the resulting files are all garbled. It's somewhat a problem for me since I use English and Japanese files both fairly often, and many Japanese Windows (and Mac?) users don't see the point in raring things when it works fine on their computer to use zip. I have read of patches, but they all appear dated and I can't get them to work. Perhaps I am doing something terribly wrong here. If anyone knows of something to help, please let me know.
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a vague shot in the dark...

Have you specified multiple languages for the LINGUAS variable in make.conf? There is also some mention on the relative handbook entry as to USE flags you can specify. Though I'm sure you've already consulted with the handbook.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
Ex-Cyber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not strictly a Linux or ZIP problem, but rather a problem with trying to mix filename encodings in general (it happens to Windows users too, FWIW). You might want to try app-text/convmv.
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, the only USE etc. that zip cares about is crypt. unzip doesn't seem to care at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. As a side note though, my LINGUAS does include en_GB and ja. Also, my locale as reference:

Code:
$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I have tried LC_ALL="ja_JP.UTF-8" and unzipped, but the results are the same. Is there something I'm missing, though? I'm not terribly good with this stuff.

Quote:
It's not strictly a Linux or ZIP problem, but rather a problem with trying to mix filename encodings in general (it happens to Windows users too, FWIW). You might want to try app-text/convmv.

I tried the application, but I can't seem to get it to convert to Japanese. All the Japanese charsets it can convert to give the error " doesn't cover all needed characters for: file." Removing all latin characters (like file extensions) doesn't change the result. Converting from latin1 to utf8 works, but gives another kind of gibberish. I suppose I'll fiddle around with it a bit more, but I don't think it's going to work.

I actually never use Windows so I'm not sure that there's problems. My friends seem to be able to extract them just fine with winrar, but then again, everyone I know who's extracting Japanese zips has an interest in Japanese, so perhaps there's something they've done? I've heard word of something like making Japanese the default for non-unicode characters in Windows to solve such problems. I know I have to make my Mac's first language Japanese to have it work, or the characters get converted into the same gibberish I get when I convert them from latin1 to utf8 using convmv. I'm really at a loss here, I don't know enough about zips or archives or unicode etc. If I had a non-unicode shift_JIS locale, could it work? Does that even exist? All the examples I've seen on setting locales are unicode. I don't know how to set my system to otherwise.

Edit: Thinking of that, I just installed winrar with wine and it can extract the zips. I guess it's a solution, though not the one I was looking for.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: