Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved]Remote X, cloning display to remotely connected TV?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alacheesu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: [Solved]Remote X, cloning display to remotely connected TV? Reply with quote

I have 2 computers, both running Gentoo. One acts as a fileserver/firewall/etc, I'll call this the remote computer, and the other is where I do most of my work (local computer). The remote computer has a TV-tuner and is also connected to my TV. What I would like to do is the following:

1. Log in to the remote computer from my local computer, getting an X session on the remote computer to display in a window on the local machine.
2. Clone that X session to the TV connected to the remote computer.

I'm a little confused about the terminology here, but in essence I want to use the local machine to control what is being shown on the TV connected to the remote machine, and I want to see (in a window, not a full X session) on the local machine what is being shown on the TV.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

TIA

Last edited by alacheesu on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going to need to cull through the X documentation. I know it's possible, cause I've seen it in action.

What you'll likely set up is just a network pipe for your X session, basically a duplicate video stream, so that whatever is running on X to the TV, is relayed to a network available port (in the 6000's I believe), connectable from your 'local' computer. Believe you can run a simple mplayer command locally, to bring up the remote window .....

It's all in the X doc's. Run 'equery f xorg-server' , and take a look at some of the 'man' files..... 'man Xorg' for instance. If I remember correctly, it is actually pretty simple to do, once you figure it out. It's been years since I've done it, so I can't give specifics. Sorry.
alacheesu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved.

For anyone interested, I played around with different tools and learned the following:
1. Both xdmcp and vnc (I used tightvnc) work fine for getting a remote X session, but they won't (AFAIK) let you manipulate a desktop running locally on the remote machine. I wanted the desktop I saw on my local machine to mirror the desktop shown on my TV connected to the remote machine.
2. To remotely take control of an X session running locally on the remote machine, I used x11vnc on the remote machine and connected to it with tightvnc from my local machine. This worked better. When I moved the mouse on my local machine, the pointer moved on my TV as well. However, it was painfully obvious that this solution was poorly suited for video. The bandwidth and CPU load of basically taking pictures of the desktop and sending it over the network was far too great in such a situation.
3. I solved the issue of streaming TV-signals with dvbstreamer. While the interface was a bit cumbersome, it allowed me to split the stream from my DVB-C card and send it to a port both locally and remotely, so I can watch TV on my local machine and/or my TV.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: