View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Virus? Reply with quote

Hi,

This kinda annoys me...Its quite often that I recieve a mail from some business partner that contains a virus....Since Im a *nix user I dont care about them. But unfortunately I sometimes forward the mail to other business partners...mail+virus that is....

Result: Im sending out virus from my Gentoo box.

Solution: ?
AV software for Linux is not half as good as for Win. I have tried allmost all, and they just dont work...What do u use?

The question could also apply to a Linux mail-server...Of course there should be AV on a mailserver. But there is none that is even half as good as for Win....Erhm?
Liathus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are just plain wrong about the mailserver portion of your comment. I run a medium sized linux mail server on sendmail. The server does virus scanning, file extention blocking, and spam blocking. And it wasnt that hard at all to setup as it is all managed from one interface.

I suggest you check out MIMEDefang from at www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang
If your server is running that you will have no problems :)

As for a client solution... don't really know as I use the above mentioned methods to sanatize my mail.
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you unintentionally forward an attachment? Unless of course it's one of those VBScript things...

But you're right, there is almost no AV software for Linux, as vira isn't a problem.

- Simon
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny that you mention AV software because I simply have not worried about getting viruses on my Linux box. I also dont open or forward attachments.

I think it was mentioned before on the forums that you would have to almost intentially send a virus thru email. But what is this thing about VBscripts?
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about switching to a web-based email interface? Would that help prevent at least you from spreading (unintentionally) viri to other people?
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
But what is this thing about VBscripts?

I'm not sure, but I think it is possible to spread a virus through e-mail by implementing a VBscript which will be executed by Outlook Express, and then (for example) send itself to everyone in the contact list. Of course this has no effect on Linux machines, but if you send the e-mail containing the virus to someone with Outlook (Express) it will be furtherly spread...

- Simon
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cossins wrote:
How can you unintentionally forward an attachment? Unless of course it's one of those VBScript things...
But you're right, there is almost no AV software for Linux, as vira isn't a problem.
- Simon

Wrong...Vira is a problem. Even if Linux makes your world better you cannot neglect all those Windows boxes.

And to answer your question: I dont "unintentionally" forward an attachment...you know, even if the attachment isnt "iloveyou.vbs", it could still be infected. Its the nature of the beast. I cant see if a given attachment is infected.
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liathus wrote:
I think you are just plain wrong about the mailserver portion of your comment. I run a medium sized linux mail server on sendmail. The server does virus scanning, file extention blocking, and spam blocking. And it wasnt that hard at all to setup as it is all managed from one interface.

I dont think so Im afraid. Even VirusBulletin and the manufactures themself admit that their AV software for Linux/unix isnt as good as for Win....

Sad but true...Lets me ask you this: In your environment: How long did it take your AV vendor to react to Sobig and Blaster? And what vendor is it?
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when have viruses become a problem on Linux?
And no, it can't be a virus unless it has some suspicious ending, like .bat, .pif, .vbs, .exe or even .js.

- Simon
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycander wrote:
How about switching to a web-based email interface? Would that help prevent at least you from spreading (unintentionally) viri to other people?

No...The virus could be a part of an attachment.

And the problem is even bigger: Suppose I want to install the company mailserver on Linux. Well, I need/want/desire/must_have a centralized AV solution. Which? U see the problem?
Liathus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I dont think so Im afraid. Even VirusBulletin and the manufactures themself admit that their AV software for Linux/unix isnt as good as for Win....

Sad but true...Lets me ask you this: In your environment: How long did it take your AV vendor to react to Sobig and Blaster? And what vendor is it?

My virus scanning is done by mcaffee's command line scanner for linux. It uses the same dat files that windows versions use. So I had the fix just as fast as their windows clients.

Just because you don't know about good solutions doesnt mean they don't exist.
Liathus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that even if I didnt have the definitions that found Sobig it wouldnt matter. Like any good email administrator I block potentially harmfull file extensions... like .pif .scr .com .exe and so on...
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liathus wrote:

Just because you don't know about good solutions doesnt mean they don't exist.

True...That is why I asked. (?)
Running thru the test-results of Unix/Linux AV - and compare them with Windows applications does however show up some lacks in the *nix scans. (VBulletin and Av-test.org)

Perhaps Nai is one of the better....I dont know - But I'll try to test it. Have u had any experience with Nai on the server? (mail)
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liathus wrote:
I forgot to mention that even if I didnt have the definitions that found Sobig it wouldnt matter. Like any good email administrator I block potentially harmfull file extensions... like .pif .scr .com .exe and so on...

It would matter..50% of all sobig viruses I have seen is detected as part of a compressed file. You have to block all attachments to say "it doesnt matter".
Liathus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Thats where i run Nai. Its used as part of the mimedefang program that i mentioned before.

Of course if you dont use sendmail, you could use amavis, which will work on postfix and the such.
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liathus wrote:
Yes. Thats where i run Nai. Its used as part of the mimedefang program that i mentioned before.

Of course if you dont use sendmail, you could use amavis, which will work on postfix and the such.

Yes...found the link to amavis on the mimedefang website. Seems quite nice.
Liathus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never used amavis, since i can use mimedefang. But i have some friends that administer postfix mail servers that swear by it.
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liathus wrote:
Ive never used amavis, since i can use mimedefang. But i have some friends that administer postfix mail servers that swear by it.

mmm...Im a postfix guy myself, so this is good reading.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: