View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Opera 10beta1, qt3-shared crash Reply with quote

Hi all,

Has anybody else tried opera 10 qt3-shared and gotten it to work?

I've gotten the qt4-shared and qt3-static versions to work, but qt3-shared just crashes after the initial dialog where you can pick whether to start with a blank page, previous session etc.

I suspect it is an issue with qt3 on my system but am not sure how to confirm/eliminate that as a possibility.

Have tried with a renamed ~/.opera/ to see if it was a config issue but same problem.

Only thing I could think of that I haven't tried yet is rebooting this system, but that'll have to wait 'til the weekend.

(The reason I want to use qt3-shared is that it's the only version where font and menu item spacing isn't messed up)
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it working an amd64. Another problem is that it seems to slowly leak memory. Yesterday it reached about 600MB after several hours - 9.64 with the same session ate around 200MB.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuts, still has the same problem in 10-beta2.

Has anyone gotten the qt3-shared version of Opera 10beta to work?

I still haven't been able to nail down whether it is a problem with Opera or with Gentoo.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qt3-shared still crashes under Opera 10 beta3.

Tried qt3-shared on my Eee and it works, so right now its starting to look like a problem between Gentoo's qt3 and opera... not sure where to take it from here...!
V-Li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build 4546 stopped crashing for me...have you updated already?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security to Desktop Environments.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-Li wrote:
Build 4546 stopped crashing for me...have you updated already?

Ooops, missed this!

I've only been updating to their 'official' snapshots so far, so no, not tried that one.

However, on Opera 10RC1 (www-client/opera-10.00_rc4570) qt3-shared still crashes so I'm still using qt4-shared.

Haven't had any response from the bug report submission to Opera either, but its not a support channel so I probably won't get one since it seems more like a Gentoo problem (They all work fine on my Eee and on Kubuntu)
Gooserider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Universe, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, North America, USA, MA, North Billerica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also having trouble with this - I seem to be running the latest stable Opera build according to emerge, but it won't run. As soon as I get the 'start from' screen, and try to start from where I was, I get the Opera needs to restart error. The only thing it seems to do is set the lock file in my home directory so that on the next start you get the "already running" error as well...

If I try to do an emerge -avNDu opera, I get over 117 packages listed, including some blocks (Yes, it has been a LONG while since I did a system update)

Is there a solution to get a functional Opera back up?

Can I revert back to one of the previous versions? - Emerge doesn't seem to say how to do so....

Can I install one of the versions direct from the Opera site instead of using the Gentoo e-build w/o breaking things?

I think I'm currently (not) running the shared version, is there some way I can force the system to install the static version instead?

I need my Opera - Konqueror won't work right w/ many of the sites I spend most of my time on, and IMHO is a generally crappy browser, but it's what I'm having to fall back on... The other big issue I have is that I have a huge number of logins and passwords locked up in Opera's "wand" feature, so I need to get back into Opera in order to log into my accounts (far as I know there isn't a way to recover the info from "wand")

Gooserider
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Opera-10 release version still has the same problem :(

@Goose - You have two options; You can either emerge opera with the qt-static USE flag or, if you have qt4, emerge it with the -qt3 flag. Just set either in /etc/portage/package.use

QT4 looks better because opera qt-static still has the bug where all the menu fonts are ugly and unchangeable :(
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooserider wrote:
The other big issue I have is that I have a huge number of logins and passwords locked up in Opera's "wand" feature, so I need to get back into Opera in order to log into my accounts (far as I know there isn't a way to recover the info from "wand")

Once had the same problem, you maybe want to checkou this:
http://operawiki.info/PowerButtons#retrievewand
Gooserider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Universe, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, North America, USA, MA, North Billerica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
Well, Opera-10 release version still has the same problem :(

@Goose - You have two options; You can either emerge opera with the qt-static USE flag or, if you have qt4, emerge it with the -qt3 flag. Just set either in /etc/portage/package.use

QT4 looks better because opera qt-static still has the bug where all the menu fonts are ugly and unchangeable :(

Thanks, I tried doing a one-shot with static by doing the "Use=static emerge..." trick on the command line - got about 4 files, but it now works - though I mostly liked the interface on the older version better - I HATE the new tab bar! It seems like the tabs don't line up with my mouse pointer, and I have yet to fnd a way to click on the last tab on the right end - plus I miss having the site icons on the tabs - the old style at least gave me something even if it was tiny...

I figure on keeping the one-shot for now in case they fix this in later versions, or if I finally do downgrade from KDE 3.5 to 4.x and put in qt4

I don't have a problem w/ the menus, the only real issue I have is the tab bar... I also liked the older button names, but I can live with them changing that...

Martux - thanks for the pointers on that website, it looks like it could be very helpful...

Gooserider
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: