anyone experience with hdd-sheriff?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: anyone experience with hdd-sheriff? Reply with quote

Hi,

as the youth club I'm working in gets new computers, I want to get the youngsters and the colleagues at work in touch with linux - mostly because it might be easier to maintain in the long run. And also because I would be able to configure the kid's PCs that they can browse the net without the need of expensive extra security software as we would need for Window$.

But there might be a problem: The PCs also have to have Window$ on their hard disks and we have to use a piece called "HDD-Sheriff" with them. As I was ordered it's a PCI-card that's built in the PC and it interferes with the BIOS and saves the changes on the hard disk in an extra partition to write them back on the disk when window$ is shut down.

Nobody could tell me if there's a problem with linux...

Does anybody have experience with this "HDD-Sheriff"?

Greetings from Nuremberg,
Andy
superlusr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with hdd-sheriff but I used to maintain several computer labs and we used a piece of software (no hardware) called "Deep Freeze". If you have problems with hdd-sheriff you might want to remove the cards and try DeepFreeze.
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about that ones.

I think you can configure it to ignore certain drives, e.g. those where you save your own documents. Presumably you could configure it to ignore the Linux partitions, so that it only does its stuff when Windows is running...

Mons
superlusr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monsm wrote:
I was reading about that ones.

I think you can configure it to ignore certain drives, e.g. those where you save your own documents. Presumably you could configure it to ignore the Linux partitions, so that it only does its stuff when Windows is running...

Mons

Exactly. They have OSX versions as well so I know they're at least semi-competent in *nix programming. I imagine the windows version is linux aware.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: