View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingoftherings
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Switching from nvidia-drivers to xf86-video-ati Reply with quote

I just got a new Radeon 4850 today (great deal at Best Buy), and it's replacing my Geforce 8800gts.
I'm using xorg-server-1.6.1.901-r4, and vanilla-sources-2.6.30. The problem I'm having is that there are artifacts all over the screen, and it kind of flickers. I also have two monitors, and they're mirroring each other, I'd like them to not mirror. ;)

After putting in the new card, the first thing I did was unmerge nvidia-drivers.

Then I went into /etc/make.conf and changed VIDEO_CARD from nvidia to radeon. I then updated my system with: emerge -uavDN world

This recompiled xorg-server and some other stuff to use the new radeon setting. I then went to xorg.conf and changed the driver to radeon, and added some options like DRI on, and AccelMethod Exa. I also disabled my TwinView crap that nvidia-settings put in there.

I recompiled my kernel to use Radeon DRM. This didn't help, so I compiled that out so I could emerge x11-drm, which also didn't fix it.

Am I missing something? I haven't been able to find much information on installing the Open source ati driver.
If nothing else works, I could just use ati-drivers, but I'd rather use open source which will hopefully be getting 3D support soon. :P

Also, I prefer radeon to radeonhd; radeon seems to be more active anyway.
Kingoftherings
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to reiterate. The problem is that I have artifacts all over the screen, and I'm getting like a "snow" effect like on a TV.

I know it's not the card, it worked on Windows.
LukynZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U can try xf86-video-radeonhd instead of ati. However ati wasn't good choice for linux until they buy some circus monkeys to make a better drivers. The problem what are u talking about I had with fglrx drivers. Dunno where is problem. Try radeonhd drivers.
Kingoftherings
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukynZ wrote:
U can try xf86-video-radeonhd instead of ati. However ati wasn't good choice for linux until they buy some circus monkeys to make a better drivers. The problem what are u talking about I had with fglrx drivers. Dunno where is problem. Try radeonhd drivers.

Alright, I'll begrudgingly try radeonhd. :P

I knew ATi wasn't a good choice _right now_ for Linux, but I knew it'd get better, hopefully by the end of the year. But I do have Windows installed, so I went ahead and bought it anyway since it was such an irresistible deal.

Do you think the new 2.6.31 kernel with the new Radeon DRM would make any difference? I could try out rc2 by the end of the week.
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just an ATI problem. The latest cards/chipsets from Intel/Nvidia have problems too. That's pretty typical with video cards. You'll probably be best served with the fglrx drivers for awhile (although you'll probably have to use an older kernel).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: