Crappy sound with media-libs/sdl-mixer-1.2.8
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bircoph
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Crappy sound with media-libs/sdl-mixer-1.2.8 Reply with quote

Hello,

all applications utilizes sdl audio output [b]and libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0[\b] produce crappy audio when they try to mix something: distortions sounds like metallic clank or something similar to old modem chatter on connecting. It was tested and confirmed on: games-puzzle/fish-fillets-0.9.0, games-rpg/freedroidrpg-1.12.1-r1, games-strategy/wesnoth (from SVN).

This bug is not present for the apps just using sdl audio output, but not mixing (e.g. linked against libSDL-1.2.so.0, but not libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0): mplayer -ao sdl (from SVN), games-action/openastromenace-1.2.0. Please note: I have no problems with apps using alsa directly (or via artsd).

This shit happens after some update during last ~4 mounthes, I have not played games for a while, so I can't say exactly when this happens, and games seems to be the only apps using sdl-mixer on my system.

My related audio setup:
vanilla linux 2.6.29.2 built-in alsa subsystem
media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.20
media-libs/libsdl-1.2.13-r1
media-libs/sdl-mixer-1.2.8
No default audio daemon (why they are needed? alsa can perfectly mix itself), artsd is *sometimes* used for kde apps not capable to output sound in another way.

It seems sdl was installed quite time ago, my alsa update broke something...
Any thoughts/experience?
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was aware of the same problem with wesnoth. I have found that some of the files that sound bad are sampled at 22.05kHz. I converted some to 44.1kHz and they sound good. The bug is still there, though.
JohnBlbec
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same problem using atari800 emulator
jdratlif
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSA is notorious for poor quality mixing. Have you ever considered switching to OSS? I have found it to be a wonderful alternative. Note, I'm talking about OSS4, not the dated in-kernel version.

http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2009/06/state-of-sound-in-linux-not-so-sorry.html

The oss-overlay in layman has OSS 4.1 available.
Bircoph
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem was fixed after revdep-rebuild, but not emerge @preserved-libs, the latter doesn't take some things into account.

jdratlif wrote:
ALSA is notorious for poor quality mixing. Have you ever considered switching to OSS? I have found it to be a wonderful alternative. Note, I'm talking about OSS4, not the dated in-kernel version.

Yet again, this was not ALSA mixing problem, but SDL mixing issue. Only programs utilizing SDL-mixer were affected. Mixing with ALSA itself were and is perfect.

Yes, I admit that from architectural point of view OSS is superior to ALSA, but from not practical... OSS lacks support of too much hardware, it lacks support of too much features. The reason is quite simple: OSS became free software too late. When decision point for kernel devs were reached, they choose ALSA mostly because of license, and now too much efforts were spend to roll back.
nenemsis5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe someone can make a bug report on bugzilla i will confirm it too. my wesnoth dont start ine but i can drope any menu on main menu
Bircoph
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nenemsis5 wrote:
maybe someone can make a bug report on bugzilla i will confirm it too. my wesnoth dont start ine but i can drope any menu on main menu

I can't reproduce it after revdep-rebuild. Thus no bugreport from my side. Just some broken dep I think.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: