View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: [solved] Gnome dpi goes bezerk... Reply with quote

During a fresh install on a full HD laptop with 16" screen (-> high dpi) I got rediculously big ugly fonts. Searching for solutions I came across info stated that gnome dpi calculations/settings were buggy/faulty and that no matter what dpi you have you should force it to 96 in Conf-editor->desktop->gnome->font_rendering->dpi. Doing this on the laptop actually fixed it, which made do it on my family pc install as well, however this went not that well :(

Gnome-appearance mostly wont start, when it does it has a window several times wider than my 1620px wide screen and unreadable fonts. Gnome-terminal has when using 'system fixed width font' hardly readable (tiny) characters and when trying with another font all text disappear (only a very small cursor is visible). Setting back to system fixed makes the window cover entire screen width... and so on.

Trying to restore settings in conf-editor has no effect, actually nothing happens whatsoever.

Starting gnome-appearance properties in a teminal gives the following (sometimes it hangs the system!)
Code:
 ~ $ gnome-appearance-properties

(gnome-appearance-properties:9569): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new: assertion `width > 0' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:9569): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `src != NULL' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:9569): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:9569): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:9569): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
The program 'gnome-appearance-properties' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 351 error_code 4 request_code 54 minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

The other users on the machine does not have any problems, they haven't edited in gconf!

How do I manage to restore settings, if possible without cleaning all gnome settings. And why doesn't it work on this machine but perfectly on the other? Anyone have had similar problems?

And perhaps most important, what are the best font settings?

I'd really appreciate any kind of hints... anyone?

EDIT: changed it to solved (from being solved - sort of) according to last post...

Last edited by pste on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:20 am; edited 3 times in total
pste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I solved the acute problem by force - deleting the directory .gonf/desktop restores settings to default without touching added panel launchers, desktop icons etc. -> recommendable solution!

However, the main question remains. The oddity about gnome and dpi. Now it works, with dpi set to <none>. If I manually set it to 96 dpi, fonts become nicer in menus and most applications. But gnome-terminal, gnome-appearance-settings, etc. either doesn't start or becomes unreadable??? Suggestions? And behavior differs between this machine (x86) and the laptop (x86_64)...

/pste
pste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a while ago I found the culprit, so if someone finds this thread looking for an answer I'd better post my findings... 8)

The issue is the default key type in gconf.
The key in question is /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/dpi
The default value is unset, which then makes monitors with significantly higher dpi than 96 to display very large bulky fonts, and the solution was to manually set it to 96, regardless of your monitor's actual dpi, this is due to som bug in gnome font calculations (I read somewhare...). However, if you just click on the dpi key and type in 96 the system goes bezerk - terminals get zero sized fonts, gconf window becomes flat, wide and empty and appearance settings crash... The error is that the default key type is Integer, which probably make some font calculations to become zero!?!

What to do is to thoroughly and explicitly set the key type to Float and then enter 96 dpi, viola! everything works as a charm, without restart one might add :D

I hope someone finds this useful!

Regards

/pste
Aleh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for solution, it helped me to fix the same problem!
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pste wrote:
OK, a while ago I found the culprit, so if someone finds this thread looking for an answer I'd better post my findings... 8)

The issue is the default key type in gconf.
The key in question is /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/dpi
The default value is unset, which then makes monitors with significantly higher dpi than 96 to display very large bulky fonts, and the solution was to manually set it to 96, regardless of your monitor's actual dpi, this is due to som bug in gnome font calculations (I read somewhare...). However, if you just click on the dpi key and type in 96 the system goes bezerk - terminals get zero sized fonts, gconf window becomes flat, wide and empty and appearance settings crash... The error is that the default key type is Integer, which probably make some font calculations to become zero!?!

What to do is to thoroughly and explicitly set the key type to Float and then enter 96 dpi, viola! everything works as a charm, without restart one might add :D

I hope someone finds this useful!

Regards

/pste

Damned at my place it's already set to float and 96.0 so I can't change it, maybe the problem is different as I use 2560x1200 resolution ?
A change of theme in gtk-chtheme solved it for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: