View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaseguard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Firefox 3.5 and adobe-flash Reply with quote

Using flash (You Tube) works fine until I click the "full screen mode" on the flash player. At this point, firefox completely disappears and closes. When restarted firefox show the "embarrassing" screen stating that it lost some windows. This is consistent (happens everytime). Anyone else have this flash problem?

Last edited by chaseguard on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
snuck007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you install flash?
chaseguard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged flash plugin (has been this way forever with earlier firefox versions). The earlier versions never had a problem with flash going full screen. Using adobe-flash-10.0.22.87.
michel7
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=276259
chaseguard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, that is embarrassing - a bug and I did not think to look there for the silly reason that the version is hard masked! Meantime I am regressing back to the 3.0 version. Sadly, for my Windoze boxes (which I must use for my "paying job") I see a crispier 3.5 FF. The 3.5 FF in Gentoo/Linux does not seem to get the same kick, but, that's just my unproven opinion. I will leave the topic open until the bug resolves just in case others miss the bug. Thanks a lot.
jackhole
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaseguard wrote:
Sadly, for my Windoze boxes (which I must use for my "paying job") I see a crispier 3.5 FF. The 3.5 FF in Gentoo/Linux does not seem to get the same kick, but, that's just my unproven opinion. I will leave the topic open until the bug resolves just in case others miss the bug. Thanks a lot.

The official Mozilla builds use PGO (profile guided optimizations) while the Gentoo ebuilds do not, because Mozilla has a dedicated build farm and Gentoo is typically compiled on a user's system. Furthermore, the Linux version of Firefox does not get as much dev love as the Windows version for obvious reasons, which means it runs slower and might be buggier.
strummer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, I'm using binary from mozilla.com. I actually wanted to try the Gentoo build, but can't install it, even if I add it to package.unmask.
Bethney Piper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have flash on my PC but now when I go to youtube it says that I either have to download the latest version of flash player or my Java script is turned off. I have tried to download Flash 9 from the Adobe site and it apears to download but I never see the completion film. Also when ever I go to any web site a pop up asks me if I want to download Flash but it won't let me which is very annoying. Can anyone help me please?
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having no problem at all. I am using the bin version from mozilla site on a 32bit gentoo system installed in /opt/firefox.

Then all I did was link the plugins directory as follows :

Code:

cd /opt/firefox
rm -rf plugins
ln -s /opt/netscape/plugins .

* www-plugins/adobe-flash 10.0.22.87
tgR10
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
ls -l ~/.mozilla/plugins

if you have libflashplayer.so delete it, and restart firefox
then put
Code:
about:plugins

in adress bar, and check for
Code:
Shockwave Flash

now it should be there and it should used the one that is installed by portage
http://userbar.tgr.debil.eu/userbar.jpg
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone back to 3.0.11

some pages were rendering with funny lines through them....some of my save passwords dissapeared ?
stmiller
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Submitted to reddit to get more eyes on this one for help.

Help!
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since installing firefox 3.5, about:plugins gives an empty screen. I've tried unmerging adobe-flash and then deleting the one copy of libflashplayer.so that was still hanging around and the reemerging adobe-flash. Running nspluginwrapper -a -v, and restarting firefox does nothing. (I'm on an amd64 system.) Is there something else to try? Thanks,
Fred
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox 3.5 and adobe-flash Reply with quote

chaseguard wrote:
Using flash (You Tube) works fine until I click the "full screen mode" on the flash player. At this point, firefox completely disappears and closes. When restarted firefox show the "embarrassing" screen stating that it lost some windows. This is consistent (happens everytime). Anyone else have this flash problem?

You may be interested in comment# 4 here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=280846

I suspect this is going to be a bear of a problem to track down. Consider the following:

1) adobe-flash is proprietary. {blech}

2) Sites you go to will be using different versions of flash builder.

3) Flash builder for linux has different problems than flash builder for windows.

4) nsplugin-wrapper is an antique {amd64 systems primarily}. Who knows what the interactions with modern versions of flash are?

5) What's with the latest security updates for flash? Of the 10 {or 12?} bugs involved in the latest flash security update, 2 were specifically caused by a security defect in Microsoft's Visual Net product??? For the Linux versions of flash, what does Adobe use to replace this functionality? I have no clue whether the question has any merit. But ...WTF?

I've downgraded to flash 9. This means that most flash based menus appear to work while most flash based movies prompt me to download the latest version of flash ...

But, at least none of my browsers are closing unexpectedly. I have Mozilla-Firefox, Dolphin, Konqueror, See Monkey, Midori, Opera, Galeon and Ephinany. I managed to watch _all_ of them close unexpected when encountering flash circumstances prior downgrading to Flash 9

Sometimes life plain sucks. Especially when proprietary programs are involved.

The bottom line is that this is probably going to be one of those really complicated track down a constant "bite you in the ass" bug stream due to lots and lots of unexpected consequences. Don't hold your breaths.

Oh, and by the way, I just rebuild this system essentially from bare metal. It's running slick, smooth and sweet ... except for this apparent issue with flash. The point is that this is a clean install system.

Good luck all!
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to downgrade or uninstall flash. Just call firefox like this:
Code:
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libGL.so" firefox
You can create a new .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications to make it take effect. For the terminal, you can create an alias in ~/.<your shell>rc

Or, you can modify /usr/bin/firefox to contain that environment variable.
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
You don't need to downgrade or uninstall flash. Just call firefox like this:
Code:
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libGL.so" firefox
You can create a new .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications to make it take effect. For the terminal, you can create an alias in ~/.<your shell>rc

Or, you can modify /usr/bin/firefox to contain that environment variable.

Umm ... I tried this. And it didn't work for me.

In the bug I noted above, there is also this bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=276259

The suggestion there was to report it upstream.

It apparently has to do with hardware acceleration during movie playback. In some limited circumstances, it's fine. But as soon as I open any sites which play a flash movie with built in menu choices or some other circumstances, my browsers die. This includes firefox-3.5.2, seamonkey-1.1.17, galeon, epiphany, midori ...

Just to be certain, I unmasked flash-10, added the suggested line to ~/.bashrc, rebooted my workstation, opened FF, went to Youtube's front page and FF failed with no warning or error output of any kind.

{shurg}

I'm open to other suggestions.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It already has a bug report upstream. And this is the workaround mentioned there. It works on my x86 machine. FYI, this bug is present only in x86 and does not manifest in amd64 machines.

If you are saying that just visiting youtube crashes your firefox, then the solution I gave is not correct. The solution I gave is to the problem where you can visit youtube, play videos, etc but *if* you fullscreen the video then firefox crashes.

FYI, here is the documented workaround. Remember to click on "Linux":
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Cannot+view+full+screen+Flash+videos
chaseguard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the "workaround" (see post by ppurka) and indeed flash now works correctly full screen. I just love the folks at Adobe. Marking this as solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: