View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farhaven
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: [Solved] DBus not running properly Reply with quote

Hi people,

I'm having a bit of a problem with DBus here. It looks like most programs can't find the session message bus, which I start from my .xinitrc via
Code:
exec dbus-launch awesome
and crash with
Code:
process 21267: arguments to dbus_connection_ref() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 2509.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
This seems really odd to me because if I understood the DBus system correctly, programs should launch their own session bus if they can't establish a connection to an existing bus.

What really strikes me as odd however is that _some_ apps seem to run fine (the only one which I observed that with is Awesome 3.3). In the example of Awesome, I can control it just fine via awesome-client (which uses DBus to remote-control Awesome).

If I start a bare-bones X session with just twm running via
Code:
exec dbus-launch twm
the problems persist, so I ruled out Awesome as its cause for the time being.

Some might suggest simply running the offending programs via
Code:
dbus-launch foo
but that doesn't work and produce the error message pasted above.

This problem strikes me quite hard because it keeps wicd from running, which I need for network roaming (wpa_supplicant is just too inflexible in changing environments).

Does anyone have any clue on what I could've done wrong (a recent emerge -DauvN world upgraded DBus, but even after downgrading, it fails to work)?

Last edited by farhaven on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do it this way? You can setup hal and dbus to start at boot time. To do otherwise would require some fancy footwork with a script. Just enter the command rc-update add dbus default && rc-update add hald default, reboot, and be done with it.

Blessed be!
Pappy
farhaven
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system messagebus is already running. Previously, I used a bit of code in my .xinitrc which wrote the session bus address to a file in /tmp, so I could access that bus from other sessions as well (i.e. to restart awesome from a VT). dbus-launch does the same, but without writing the bus address to /tmp/dbus-0. If I don't run awesome via dbus-launch, it still starts up fine, creating its own session bus (as it should, because there's no session bus running), but my problem persists. notify-send for example still crashes with the error message I pasted instead of opening its own session bus as it doesn't seem to be abled to find the already running bus (which should be accessible, as the $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is the same awesome uses).

Edit: I forgot to mention: hald fails to start with the same error message on a cleanly booted system with the DBus system messagebus running. I even removed /etc/dbus-1 and reinstalled DBus, just to see if it was a broken config, but the problem persists.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't get why you need to do all those extra steps. It seems to me you're making things more complex than they need to be.

Blessed be!
Pappy
farhaven
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I do it your way (i.e. just start the system message bus), Awesome is still the only program using DBus that doesn't crash on startup with the pasted message. Hal doesn't start either, and if I manually try to start it via
Code:
hald --daemon=no
to see what's wrong, spits out the same message and exits shortly after.

Also I doubt it has to do with my steps of setting up the session message bus, as it worked that way before the update that broke about everything DBus related.

Thanks for your help anyway :)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then try this:

1) emerge -C hal dbus
2) remove any remnants, such as /etc/dbus-1, /etc/hal, /var/run/hald.pid, /var/run/dbus.pid, /var/run/dbus and /var/run/hald.
3) emerge hal dbus
4) /etc/init.d/dbus restart

If the problem remains, it could be an X issue. See what the above yields, and we can go from there.

BB!
P

PS. Next time, it would be helpful if you gave really important info as, "as it worked that way before the update that broke about everything DBus related," at the beginning of the process, not near the middle.
farhaven
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that brought me one step further. Hald now starts without problems, though the DBus issue in X remains. I just opened dbus-monitor in one xterm and used notify-send in another, which produced some interesting output in the monitor window:
Code:
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination) serial=9 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=NameOwnerChanged
   string ":1.7"
   string ""
method call sender=:1.7 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=1 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=Hello
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination) serial=10 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=NameOwnerChanged
   string ""

which leads me to the assumption that the session bus can indeed be accessed by notify-send, but really connecting fails, as indicated by the error message. A plain dbus-send, which is what awesome-client uses, works though.

I don't think the error is in notify-send or libnotify, as wicd still can't seem to establish a connection to the session bus either...

Btw, sorry for me not providing all needed information :)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no thing. What does your /var/log/Xorg.0.log look like?

Blessed be!
Pappy
farhaven
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my Xorg.0.log. I grepped it for EE and WW, but there were only a few warnings about missing font paths and about my graphics driver. I'm completely lost here :(

Thanks for your help btw :)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought would be to drop dri2, and go for a much more conventional setup with the intel GPU. I haven't used dri2, so I don't know if it would cause an issue, but one of the errors was directly affecting dri2. Try running without /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see what happens at that point.

Blessed be!
Pappy
farhaven
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ran flawless with DRI2 before the upgrade that killed it all, and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure on how the X server itself could affect DBus, especially in the manner described (only awesome and dbus-send work, everything else crashes). At the moment, I've unmerged dbus and hal and I'm running revdep-rebuild right now to see whether there were some linking issues.
farhaven
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoohoo, removing dbus and hal and letting revdep-rebuild handle all reinstalling and remerging of broken libs did the trick. Thanks a lot for your time and effort :)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome.

Blessed be!
Pappy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: