Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Does openoffice-bin 3.0.0 support Chinese input?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
et_tu_gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Does openoffice-bin 3.0.0 support Chinese input? Reply with quote

I have scim working fine for most apps, but it does absolutely nothing with app-office/openoffice-bin-3.0.0. Is ctrl-space no longer the trigger?

openoffice-bin, oowriter specifically, will open and display Chinese text files fine.

Tools | Options | Language Settings | Languages seems to be set properly. The one oddity is that the 'Enabled for Asian languages' checkbox is checked but is greyed-out.

Also, Tools | Options | Language Settings | Writing Aids | Available Language Modules is empty and its edit button is also greyed-out.

Do these two above settings show that, while reading of Chinese is supported, there is no Chinese input built into this binary?

If I have to emerge app-office/openoffice-3.0.0 (from source), will it be able to support Chinese input? You would think that by now ooo would have its own language input methods and would not need to rely on other apps to handle this very important feature (globaly speaking).

I truly have no desire to emerge app-office/openoffice-3.0.0 - I used to do that years ago, and learned my lesson to avoid that at all costs and just emerge the bin version....

Any "input" appreciated.
et_tu_gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody? There has to be some bilinguals out there...

If not, can anybody point me to a possible gentoo webpage that states this kind of info?
chenpc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Does openoffice-bin 3.0.0 support Chinese input? Reply with quote

I'm working fine with scim.
Did you emerge openoffice with 'gnome' flag ?
It look like you emerge openoffice with 'kde -gnome'.
et_tu_gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying.

I just tried it with gnome flag set - made no difference. Prior I had both -gnome and -kde.

You are using openoffice-bin or openoffice?

Do your Options (the ones I mentioned in original post) appear greyed-out?

I am just getting a complete no response from scim - the toolbar does not even come to life for ooo.

My other apps work fine - 很好 as a matter of fact - so I am thinking the binary version just flat out does not do non-ascii input. I just would like some verification before (trying) to build ooo from source.
et_tu_gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know how to find out what features are in a binary release?

openoffice-bin has got to be one of the more popular binary releases out there....
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine here (Chinese).

Can you print the output of "locale", and whether scim works properly in other programs (and which ones)?

Also, the output of:

export |grep XMODIFIERS
export |grep IM_MODULE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: