Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gentoo virtualbox guest (/usr/sbin/vboxadd-service missing)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: gentoo virtualbox guest (/usr/sbin/vboxadd-service missing) Reply with quote

hi all.

i've searched to no avail and am lost here...

i'm running virtualbox on a winXP machine and have virtualbox-guest-additions installed via ebuild - i'm running 3.0.0 from the jokey overlay (the same as the version of virtualbox i'm running).

anyway - when i issue /etc/init...itions start, i get an error telling me that /usr/bin/vboxadd-service does not exist. to see if this would be provided by installing virtualbox/virtualbox-modules i tried that too... no dice.

so - is anyone out there successfully running gentoo as a guest in virtualbox? if so, do i need to find an older version? the reason i ask is that i was (out of ignorance) running virtual-guest-additions-2.4.x and the service started without problem - i just couldn't get mouse/keyboard working in X. so i re-read the docs and double checked my virtualbox version and then went with the jokey 3.0.0 versions.

is there something else i need to install?

thanks for any help!
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...

so I removed 3.0.0 and went back to 2.2.4 (virtualbox-guest-additions, xf86-input-virtualbox and xf86-video-virtualbox). i can again get virtualbox-guest-additions to run, but when i start X i get mouse capture and no keyboard input.

I've got a USB mouse and keyboard. in xorg.conf i've got vboxmouse listed as mouse driver and kbd listed as keyboad driver. i get X to start but the TWM xterms do not open and I can't get any keyboard input (ctrl-alt-F1 doesn't work and I can't type into terminals).

I'm going to try going back to 3.0.0 and see what happens...

c'mon - someone has to have some ideas here...
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK (ii)...

i just installed virtualbox 2.2.4 and moved the guest gentoo installation to it, removed the 3.0.0 drivers and virtual-guest-additions and went to 2.2.4.

i am still stuck although i don't get the missing vboxadd-service message.

when i start X I get mouse and focus following it but i can't type.

i'll start a new thread... i assume this is the forum to do that as it's an installation.

btw - i have followed the docs at the wiki.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: