Install disc that works?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mart_man00
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Install disc that works? Reply with quote

Has a new (GRP) disc that works come out yet? Is this still not a priority? Does the fact i expect teh gentoo guys to take responisblility for there (non working) work mean im still a ass?
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it about the GRP CDs that you consider non working?

I installed Gentoo on my iBook using the G3 LiveCD and then Disk2 which has more GRP packages. Got KDE and Gnome up and running. Although people have said there was one or more packages required to download from the net in order for Gnome to work, but I don't remeber if I setup networking before or after I emerged Gnome.

Anyways, I'm quite happy with the GRP CDs, saved me tons of time on this puny laptop. Sorry if you're not happy with them though.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you file a bugreport on the misery you had on https://bugs.gentoo.org? Because not all developers read the forums because they (both forums and developers :) ) are so active (reading through all posts is a 24/7 job). If not, that is probably the reason.
mart_man00
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycander: normal disc? I downloaded 2 different iso, was there a third? I downloaded the second iso the day after 1.4 was official.

Maybe ill start to like gentoo again....

Sven Vermeulen, a bunch of other people did, i guess ill throw mine in too.

Thanks guys
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mart... they all seem to work fine for me and I think I have installed from every single disc
mart_man00
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, heres mine:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27366

oubipaws, didnt you say in my thread before that it had to download? I thought you downloaded a binary?

My bug is that a connection is needed.

Id hate to kill my laptop again with 1.4 but maybe i should.
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that is true.. I thought you meant the disc's would not boot up and/or install
mart_man00
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yes, that is true.. I thought you meant the disc's would not boot up and/or install

lol, no. its my same old rant.
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.. I never could get orbits to work w/ out downloading it..
At first I did in fact have the use variables wrong, but I fixed that and GNOME still would not install
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I sound rude, but perhaps you might be happier with a different distro? Traditionally, Gentoo has been all about downloading src packs and building them. Then all of a sudden the Gentoo developers do us a favor and make some packages available as binary packs and people still aren't happy? If you really want a netless install, go with a distro like RedHat or Mandrake that has everything you need on 3 CDs. Or buy the DVD edition :)
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycander: you are not talking to me correcT?
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mart_man00 wrote:
Well, heres mine:

Great. Now what happens is this: Daniel (who's assigned to all LiveCD problems) will take his bugs on at a time, eventually taking yours. He's probably going to ask you information about what LiveCD (from which datestamp) you used, and if you used the online documentation. He'll also going to ask you exact information (output of the emerge -k commands, content of /usr/portage/packages and /usr/portage/distfiles) and based on that information he's going to suggest a possible solution, say that the bug was known and fixed, or say that the problem lays with the documentation, meaning it'll be assigned to docs-team.

However, I'm pretty sure the documentation isn't wrong anymore.
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven Vermeulen wrote:
mart_man00 wrote:
Well, heres mine:

Great. Now what happens is this: Daniel (who's assigned to all LiveCD problems) will take his bugs on at a time, eventually taking yours. He's probably going to ask you information about what LiveCD (from which datestamp) you used, and if you used the online documentation. He'll also going to ask you exact information (output of the emerge -k commands, content of /usr/portage/packages and /usr/portage/distfiles) and based on that information he's going to suggest a possible solution, say that the bug was known and fixed, or say that the problem lays with the documentation, meaning it'll be assigned to docs-team.

However, I'm pretty sure the documentation isn't wrong anymore.

This is a well proven problem, judging from the number of posts on this board, the bugs and comments on Bugzilla, and chatting with folk at the gentoo IRC channel.

I haven't found a single person with an Athlon XP GRP CD who can leave the optimizations the way they are, emerge -k gnome, and it get it to work. The worst part is that there is no repeatable workaround...some people have gotten around this by making their optimizations more conservative, some by just redoing it, others by trying all sorts of funky commands for portage.

Considering that this is a popular combo (i.e. people who want to use Gnome with an Athlon XP), I hope this bug is made a priority and a fix is released soon.

Chris
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually hope we find the problem really soon. Most bugs I've encountered were due to "random" problems:
- mistyped commands
- ran emerge sync
- "alternative" installation (i.e. not following guide)
- wrong architecture

The difficulty is that we cannot just ask the user to reinstall Gentoo, so trying to find the problem == installing Gentoo ourselves, which, unlikely with some reports we have heard, works :/

I'm confident that we'll find the solution, but don't expect miracles. GRP is not the only problem we have with the installation (think malfunctioning dhcp, crashing USB-detection, freezing network setup, partially available EVMS etc.).
packersthor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problems. Thinking about going back to the rc4 cd and redoing everything. since I will be gone for the weekend I could then run
Code:
emerge xfree kde gnome openoffice moxilla anjuta
and hopefully I will have a pretty good functioning system when I return.

I am only reloading because I had a hard drive problem and couldn't figure out how to fix it with e2fsck so I wiped everything and started over. at least my second drive /mnt/data did not get corrupted. Partimage is on my list to learn as soon as I can get a system installed the way I like it. I have spent way too much time trying various "solutions" for the gnome problem in these forums, with no success.
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
Lycander: you are not talking to me correcT?

Well I was trying to make a generalized statement and not speak to anyone specifically, but I guess my comment was more directed towards 'mart_man00' since he seems most distressed about the GRP CDs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: