“make of VLC failed” — “moc: Invalid argument”
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reneviht
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: “make of VLC failed” — “moc: Invalid argument” Reply with quote

Hello, all.

I am attempting to emerge media-video/vlc – specifically, media-video/vlc-0.9.9a-r1, as this is the latest one unmasked for amd64 – and I always fail with this error message:
Code:
 * ERROR: media-video/vlc-0.9.9a-r1 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 3957:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake || die "make of VLC failed"
 *  The die message:
 *   make of VLC failed
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.9a-r1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.9a-r1/temp/environment'.
When I looked back on the output of the compiler/linker/whichever-program-is-generating-text-at-this-point-in-the-build, the most recent error message I come across is this:
Code:
make[5]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.9a-r1/work/vlc-0.9.9a/modules/gui/qt4'                                       
/usr/bin/moc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../../../include -I../../../include -march=nocona -O3 -pipe -DSYS_LINUX -I../../.. `top_builddir="../../.." ../../../vlc-config --cppflags plugin qt4` -o main_interface.moc.cpp main_interface.hpp                                                           
/usr/bin/moc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../../../include -I../../../include -march=nocona -O3 -pipe -DSYS_LINUX -I../../.. `top_builddir="../../.." ../../../vlc-config --cppflags plugin qt4` -o menus.moc.cpp menus.hpp                                                                             
moc: Invalid argument                                                                                                                         
Usage: moc [options] <header-file>                                                                                                             
  -o<file>           write output to file rather than stdout                                                                                   
  -I<dir>            add dir to the include path for header files                                                                             
  -E                 preprocess only; do not generate meta object code                                                                         
  -D<macro>[=<def>]  define macro, with optional definition                                                                                   
  -U<macro>          undefine macro                                                                                                           
  -i                 do not generate an #include statement                                                                                     
  -p<path>           path prefix for included file                                                                                             
  -f[<file>]         force #include, optional file name                                                                                       
  -nw                do not display warnings                                                                                                   
  @<file>            read additional options from file                                                                                         
  -v                 display version of moc                                                                                                   
make[5]: *** [main_interface.moc.cpp] Error 1                                                                                                 
make[5]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....                                                                                                   
moc: Invalid argument                                                                                                                         
Usage: moc [options] <header-file>                                                                                                             
  -o<file>           write output to file rather than stdout                                                                                   
  -I<dir>            add dir to the include path for header files                                                                             
  -E                 preprocess only; do not generate meta object code                                                                         
  -D<macro>[=<def>]  define macro, with optional definition                                                                                   
  -U<macro>          undefine macro                                                                                                           
  -i                 do not generate an #include statement                                                                                     
  -p<path>           path prefix for included file                                                                                             
  -f[<file>]         force #include, optional file name                                                                                       
  -nw                do not display warnings                                                                                                   
  @<file>            read additional options from file                                                                                         
  -v                 display version of moc                                                                                                   
make[5]: *** [menus.moc.cpp] Error 1
It looks to me like there's some problem with my installation of “moc,” or else some typo in a script that's directing these compilations. I haven't found any bugs on Gentoo's Bugzilla that deal with this problem, nor have I found any mention of this already on the forums. According to qfile, /usr/bin/moc is part of x11-libs/qt-core. However, I tried re-emerging that and then emerging vlc again, without any success.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next?

Thank you.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried revdep-rebuild? That solved my vlc compile problem.
jdratlif
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest keywording the 1.0.0 release.

Add
~media-video/vlc-1.0.0
~media-libs/libdvbpsi-0.1.6

to /etc/portage/package.keywords
reneviht
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your attempts.

Sorry for waiting so long to get back to you with my results.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap wrote:
Have you tried revdep-rebuild? That solved my vlc compile problem.

jdratlif wrote:
I would suggest keywording the 1.0.0 release.

Add
~media-video/vlc-1.0.0
~media-libs/libdvbpsi-0.1.6

to /etc/portage/package.keywords
I held off on doing this because there were some other problems I needed to fix before I could get a revdep-rebuild to go through. Upon fixing these problems and (successfully) running revdep-rebuild twice, I unmasked the 1.0.0 release and tried emerging vlc again. Sadly, I got what appears to be an identical error (moc: Invalid argument).

I should mention that I'm running this on an ~amd64 machine. The processor is a Pentium D, but I'm using the amd64 architecture because it's a 64-bit processor, and it's my understanding that's the architecture I'm supposed to use.
Thanks for your time and attention.
jdratlif
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what's going on here. I'm running amd64 and have successfully emerged vlc 1.0.0.

Maybe you could try re-emerging all the qt4 packages? qt-core, qt-gui I know of, but I'm sure there is a better way to generate a list of which qt packages are on your system right now.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running ~amd64 too+vlc-1.0.0
reneviht
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blast. Oh, well.

I really do appreciate your attempts to help. I'll try re-emerging the qt4 packages now.

I was considering posting the /var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-1.0.0/temp/environment file and the complete /var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-1.0.0/temp/build.log but they're both quite long; is there any way for me to attach them to this post as text files for download, rather than simply pasting them into a code box? I've seen a similar feature on other boards, but I haven't determined if this board also has such a feature.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reneviht wrote:
Blast. Oh, well.

I really do appreciate your attempts to help. I'll try re-emerging the qt4 packages now.

I was considering posting the /var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-1.0.0/temp/environment file and the complete /var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-1.0.0/temp/build.log but they're both quite long; is there any way for me to attach them to this post as text files for download, rather than simply pasting them into a code box? I've seen a similar feature on other boards, but I haven't determined if this board also has such a feature.

you might dump them to pastebin.ca and share the links with us

I would be very curious to see your make.conf

Chiefly because I found this - https://bugs.gentoo.org/237783

Likely something we can change in make.conf to get this sorted
reneviht
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
reneviht wrote:
Blast. Oh, well.

you might dump them to pastebin.ca and share the links with us

I would be very curious to see your make.conf

Chiefly because I found this - https://bugs.gentoo.org/237783

Likely something we can change in make.conf to get this sorted
Yep, thank you. That bug described my problem to the letter:
Code:
------- Comment  #3 From Alexis Ballier  2008-09-16 14:55:56 0000  [reply] -------

CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
CPPFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

try removing the CPPFLAGS= line; optimization flags do not belong there afaik
If I interpret this correctly, then, my CPPFLAGS variable was being passed to moc, and they ought not to have been -- hence the "Invalid Argument" error. When I commented out that line, vlc compiled perfectly.

Thanks all of you, for your assistance, time, and attention.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: