How to get rid of 2.4 kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: How to get rid of 2.4 kernel? Reply with quote

I just realized that since I've been trying the 2.5-2.6 kernels I've only used the 2.4 kernel twice in the last three months, and that the last time I used it was at least 8 weeks ago. I'm now tempted to just unmerge gentoo-sources, but had a few questions before clearing all the 2.4 kernel stuff off of my system:

1. Here's a list of the things that I think I can get rid of after unmerging the 2.4 kernel:
Code:
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4
/etc/modules.autoload (symlink that points to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4)
/lib/modules/2.4.*
/usr/src/linux-2.4.*

Is there anything else that I can dump?

2. Do I need to redirect /etc/modules.autoload to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6?

3. In /usr/src, there's a symlink from /usr/src/linux to the most recent version of the 2.4 kernel directory. /usr/src/linux-beta points to my 2.6 kernel directory. Should I redirect /usr/src/linux to my 2.6 kernel directory, or should I just get rid of all of the symlinks?
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get rid of 2.4 kernel? Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:

/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4
/etc/modules.autoload (symlink that points to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4)

You'd better leave those. They are part of the baselayout, and the gain of removing them is minimal.

For the rest I'd answer 'yes' to the other suggestions you make.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get rid of 2.4 kernel? Reply with quote

AlterEgo wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Does that include dumping the /usr/src/linux and /usr/src/linux-beta symlinks?
dizzogg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just leave a working 2.4 kernel around? You know, just in case.... :wink:
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get rid of 2.4 kernel? Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:
AlterEgo wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Does that include dumping the /usr/src/linux and /usr/src/linux-beta symlinks?

Keep a /usr/src/linux pointed to the kernel you actually use. Many software packages need it. The linux-beta symlink can be removed; I never used it anyway (dual-kernel),
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzogg wrote:
why not just leave a working 2.4 kernel around? You know, just in case.... :wink:

That's why I didn't get rid of it for the past three months. :) Now I'm convinced that I don't need it, since "just in case" should have happened in the past 8 weeks if it was going to happen. Besides, now I've compiled so many 2.5.xx and 2.6.xx kernels that rebuilding a 2.4 kernel should be relatively easy, if I have to. :D

Actually, the event that triggered this question was when gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r6 came out, and I was about to copy over my old .config file and start compiling when I asked myself, "Why are you even bothering to install a package that you haven't used in 8 weeks?"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: