very strange problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CobraX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: very strange problem Reply with quote

Hi there folks,

I've installed Gentoo Linux (1.4rc2 and older) successfully on my pentium2 and celeron (pentium4 based) in the past. A week ago I tried to install Gentoo 1.4 Final (basic CD) on my Celeron. Everything went fine at first sight. But the troubles started when I wanted to configure my network. If I use commands like "ifconfig eth0" or "net-setup eth0" or use "ifconfig" to configure my network, my terminal hangs. CTRL+C (or D or S) doesn't help (I have to kill it within another terminal). Last time I tried this on my pentium2 I didn't have this problem. So today I tried to install Gentoo 1.4 on my Acer TravelMate 803. The same problem occured. Has anyone got any idea? I'm behind a Linksys router. The last thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with my network cables but this would be strange cause for other stuff they work just fine.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like something weird happening in kernel-mode. What network hardware is in each system? (`lspci` and `lsmod` should be helpful.)
CobraX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried "lsmod" before. In my laptop I have a broadcom nic (bcm4400 I believe). In my celeron I have a 3Com 3C905C-TX. The one in my Pentium2 is a Dlink DFE530-TX with a Via Rhine chipset.
Zoltan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me too. Booting with "gentoo nodetect" helps. After that all you need is to load your network card module manually, e.g. "modprobe eepro100" which is the module for my card.

Oh and searching forums for "ifconfig hangs" finds several threads where I found the answer to my problem. Seems like many people run into it with 1.4 final.
CobraX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoltan wrote:
Happened to me too. Booting with "gentoo nodetect" helps. After that all you need is to load your network card module manually, e.g. "modprobe eepro100" which is the module for my card.

Oh and searching forums for "ifconfig hangs" finds several threads where I found the answer to my problem. Seems like many people run into it with 1.4 final.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that one of these days.
CobraX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I tried booting with "gentoo nodetect" and ran net-setup eth0 after loading my network module. It went fine but I got an error (something like "Link eth0 is down") but still it works. Everything was configured (I tried "ifconfig eth0"). Special thanks to Zoltan.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: