Installing Gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edtate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo! Reply with quote

Hey everyone, i have researched a little about this linux distro and from what i hear i'd like to give it a try. I'm currently using WinXP and desperately want to switch - there's just something about windows that i don't like(i've used mandrake and redhat a lil before). When i used redhat and mandrake i liked them but couldn't get my internet connection to work... I mostly do C/C++ work on the computer anyway and thus thought linux would be more apropriate/educational. Anyway, through what i've read i understand that the installation is complicated. Here's my problem, i have a WinXP computer downstairs(my dad uses it), and that has the internet connection. How would i install Gentoo and still be able to use my internet connection? How do i find out what hardware is compatible with gentoo? Is there anything i must imperatively do before sticking the CD in my drive and reboot? Thanks in advance !
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to get started is to download the LiveCD ISO. This is an easy way to test your hardware for compatibility. The LiveCD is basically a generic Gentoo installation with just the command line. I know Gentoo PPC (Mac hardware) has a KDE/Gnome enabled LiveCD but don't know if x86 has the same. Anyways, the most important piece of hardware at this point is your network card so follow the install guide to get your network setup after booting with the LiveCD. When you get to the part where you compile your kernel you just need to know which driver to include for your ethernet card.

What would help is to inventory your hardware in Windows' Device Manager just to get an idea of what you have. Brand name and chipset of your network card, video card, sound card are vital. Most everything else is pretty generic, if I forgot something I hope someone will point it out. If you have peripherals you want to use, like printers and what not, that can be worked out later.

It's good that you have a second computer to use during the installation so you can come here for help and read previous threads on installtaion. Print the install guide if you can and have it with you. It's also worthwhile to get the Desktop Configuration Guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml?style=printable) and read through it a little, it may contain info you need to know ahead of time for the installation, just to be prepared so you don't end up recompiling the kernel multiple times.
edtate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i'm downloading the Live CDs for Athlon XP (my comp is a 1900XP), and the install should detect my network card straight up? If it does detect it does this mean the internet connection will automatically be there? Won't i have to go through a load of configurations? Or do i just have to follow the install guide line by line? It sounds complicated... The only time i tried recompiling the kernel i ended up at the command line stuck and couldn't do anything lol!
I've composed a list of the harware that i have as well...

General :

CD-ROM SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-308B
Ethernet Card Surecom EP-320X-S 100/10M Ethernet PCI Adapter
Sound SB Live!
Mouse Packard Bell USB Mouse & Keyboard
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
Monitor A727 Packard Bell
Modem N/A
RAM 512

[EDIT]
Ok i ran the live CDs and it detected everything correctly, i could ping google straight away! Now all i need to do is sort out my filesystem, is partition magic alright for that? since i don't want to lose my windows partition i mean...
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your HW seems ok to me :)

partition magic is said to be the best partitioning tool in existance ...i'd go for the standard cfdisk, but since you're pretty new to it and don't want to delete the win* install, i'd go for partition magic :]

for fs and everything else follow the install doc on the gentoo site ...print it out ...you won't regret it :)

p.s. you have to configure the net card (and settings) right in order for it to work when you boot from disk ...it's not the same as on the livecd :]

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes -- consider using `lsmod` to find out what drivers are used by the LiveCD to make your hardware go. You'll need to know what chipset your network card uses when you configure your kernel.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the devfs system is pretty nice and usefull here (is it on on livecds?)

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hook wrote:
the devfs system is pretty nice and usefull here (is it on on livecds?)
Last time I checked, it was. However, I haven't used the 1.4 LiveCDs yet, so I can't say with certainty. ;-)
edtate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh.... i'm having problems... I got to the stage where i have to unmount the drives but then it says that the device doesn't have enough space, when it has 25 gigs?!?

[ EDIT ]
Ok! i sorted that problem and now i can actually boot, get a nifty lil grub screen and then it goes to the login screen. The problem i'm having now is that my network doesn't work anymore :S what should i do?

[ EDIT2 ]

OK! Sorted the network, i now have a connection... But X Won't start, it keeps saying bad command when i type in startx ?!?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: