Printing stopped working after cups-1.3.10 [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Printing stopped working after cups-1.3.10 [Solved] Reply with quote

Hi!

Today I find out that I can't print. The job sits in the queue but the printer never does anything about it. It is a network printer (Samsung ML-2551N Postscript), and was working well the last time I used it. Others can still print to it from their computer (Fedora), it is just me having the problem.

lpstat -t says something about 'Filter "foomatic-rip" for printer "Printit" not available: No such file or directory', which sounds like it may have something to do with it. Googling for that, I found a suggestion to delete and re-add the printer. However when I try to do this, I get "Unable to find the PostScript driver" in KDE's "Add Printer Wizard", and am unable to complete re-adding it.

It sounds like something messed up with one or more of my packages but I'm not sure where to look.

I don't print often so it isn't clear exactly when this problem started. There were quite a few system updates lately, and one of them might be the cause of this. The system changes since the last time I printed include:
- Finally moving to xorg 1.5 (had some time-sensitive projects due and didn't want to risk system instability)
- Updating to Kde 3.5.10 (which involved moving from monolithic to split builds)
- updating to gentoo-sources-2.6.29, from 2.6.26
- General miscellaneous updates
- Running a emerge -depclean

Everything else that I've used works well. Just printing went all kaplooey.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Last edited by Akkara on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to change;
Code:

grep HostNameLookups /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

to On if it is Off
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=266678
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

I had tried the fix suggested (as well as the ones in the bug report), but it didn't do anything.

Re-emerging cups seemed to help however. Or perhaps it was the reboot. (Although, if I remember right, I had restarted cups previously anyway.)

Now I can get to the printer control-panel (kde 3.10 control-center -> Peripherals -> Printer) and select "add printer". I give it the address (a static in the 192.168 block, which I've tested separately by pointing firefox there to bring up the printer control page).

The "add-printer" control advances to the next panel, but there is only a very short list of manufacturers to choose from. (Previous to the updates, there was a much longer list.) The printer's manufacturer (Samsung, model ML-2551N) is not on this list.

Clicking on "Other..." brings up a file browser pointing to my home directory. I don't know where in the filesystem to navigate to find a file that's useful to it.

I cancel that and try randomly picking a HP printer, pretending my printer is a HP. I try 'print test page' and that works. But I'd like to set up the manufacturer and model correctly, as it had been.

Also, if I try checking the 'Postscript printer' box, it comes up with "Postscript driver not found". It seems like might have somehow I lost a bunch of drivers or something. Perhaps some flag(s) are set incorrectly?
Code:
# emerge -pv cups

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-print/cups-1.3.10-r2  USE="X acl jpeg pam perl png python ssl tiff -avahi -dbus -gnutls -java -kerberos -ldap -php -ppds -samba -slp -static -xinetd -zeroconf" LINGUAS="-de -en -es -et -fr -he -id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved it.

Went carefully through http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml , checking every flag. Somehow the 'ppds' USE-flag had gotten turned off (or perhaps it was a new flag?). I hadn't noticed that drivers aren't built unless asked for. They used to be there as far as I remember.

USE=ppds emerge -av1 cups fixed it. (and then added ppds to package.use).

Edit / addendum: Now that I know what was missing (namely net-print/foomatic-db-ppds and net-print/foomatic-filters-ppds, dependencies of cups when ppds is set), I was able to re-create what had happened. Apparently, ppds had been unset for some time, but I didn't notice or know the implication of this. Then the recent emerge --depclean got rid of the drivers that had been installed when ppds was last set, and printing stopped working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: