View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c8a7w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Dual Screen rotation question Reply with quote

I want to rotate 1 of my monitors.

my system is currently setup with twinview, meaning (as i understand it) the desktop is 1 large screen which allows for composite effects but I can't find how to rotate 1 of the displays.

I have got xorg.conf setup to allow me to rotate the display using Xinerama which allows seperating the monitors into 2 screens meaning i can rotate 1 of them, unfortunately this does not allow for composite effects.

the question is how can i do both? rotation and effects while keeping a single desktop screen (being able to drag windows back and forth between monitors)

can i do it? would it be possible with a 2nd video card or is it just not possible to have the both benefits under linux?

greatful for any suggestions even if its just a try looking here
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you played around with xrandr? I was playing with it, and although it doesn't seem to be well supported on this brand spanking new MSI Wind 120, I have noticed that xrandr -o left or xrandr -o right are probably going to do what you want, or maybe xrandr -y.

check it out, use xrandr --help, maybe man xrandr and who knows? You may be rewarded.
c8a7w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xrandr is awesome, and is what i used when i plugin a monitor to my laptop but in this setup it wont work. running nvidia geforce 8400GS with the nvidia drivers and the xorg setup i have it can only see one screen (dispite having 2 monitors) so it would rotate the entire thing.

at least thats my understanding of it, i can boot into gentoo and post the output of xrandr -q if anyone thinks ive got it wrong (i'm not 100% sure).
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 2 monitors are part of 1 X screen, using Xinerama?

Did you check out the xrandr --output switch? From the manpage, it looks like it's what you want:

Quote:
--screen snum
This option selects which screen to manipulate. Note this refers
to the X screen abstraction, not the monitor (or output).
[...]
--output <output>
Selects an output to reconfigure. Use either the name of the
output or the XID.

c8a7w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i am using twin view since as i understand it Xinerama would stop me from being able to use compiz-fusion. but it is only 1 screen.

xrandr -q output
Code:
craig@Tsunami ~ $ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 1440 x 900, current 3360 x 1200, maximum 3360 x 1200
default connected 3360x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   3360x1200      50.0*
   1440x900       51.0     52.0

above there is no mention of output names. i have tried looking online and cant find any reference to xrandr output names using nvidia drivers.

from what i've seen xrandr doesnt support the nvidia drivers properly and i should move to either the nv or nouveau drivers. is that right?
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

So you're using TwinView rather than Xinerama. The wikipedia page on xinerama explained to me that xrandr is slated to fully replace xinerama. I've been doing some research...

According to this:
http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9629/README/appendix-u.html
The nvidia drivers do support xrandr (if enabled in xorg.conf, as described in the above link), but as it says towards the bottom,

Quote:
TwinView and rotation can be used together, but rotation affects the entire desktop.

It recommends using TwinViewOrientation instead, although frankly I don't see how that could help. I think that instead, you should consider using xrandr instead of TwinView. The xrandr page on wikipedia seems to be pretty dismissive of xrandr 1.2 (and is disputed for that reason) but it appears that 1.3 is released since june, and available if you accept ~x86 or ~amd64 packages.

Either version of xrandr (with appropriate x11 library libXrandr) should be able to add a display to the left or right, above or below another screen; and I would assume that unlike TwinView, this xrandr screen combination would probably allow you to rotate the screens individually.

Well, hope that helps. You should let me know what you manage. Good luck!

PS: I wouldn't expect any fancy effects like compiz to work on non-hardware accelerated nvidia drivers, so stay away from nv. nouveau looks promising, but probably too much a work in progress to be a full fledged replacement for nvidia's (unfortunately) proprietary versions, if you want fancy effects.
c8a7w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats fine, xrandr is really cool and i did use it on my laptop before.

the problem is i cant refernce the 2nd output.

ive tried booting up with a basic xorg config with xrandr enabled, but still didnt get a reference for a 2nd output.

i tried messing about with --output DVI-0 and DVI-1 but nothing seemed to happen.

i'm thinking this is going to get shelved for a while, work is pilling up and i dont really have the time to deal with this. windows7 will have to do untill next month.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shelve what you must, but on dual head configurations I've used in the past I've had two Device sections in the xorg.conf file, one with
Code:
   Screen 0

and one with
Code:
   Screen 1

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: