airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gen2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Been searching all over google and this forum for solutions, tore half my hair out over the last few weeks, and now I'm ready for someone to tell me the brutally simple things I've overlooked...

Running 2.4.21-ppc-r2 on an ibook 300 (which I guess could be called an "iBook1") with an airport card. Wireless connectivity is working fine on the benh-2.4.20-r9 ONLY, go figure.

First, have I completely overlooked the comprehensive "make airsnort and kismet work on ibook1" how-to (yes, I saw airport.shmoo.com)? All I see is cryptic and incomplete info everywhere, yet I'm sure I can't be the only one in the dark (or so I hope!).

2nd, does anyone know the EXACT procedure, completely describing how to get kismet and airsnort running on ibooks, in monitor AND/OR scan modes? I tried the patches on the airsnort site, and patch only partially succeeded, and airport did not work at all. Re-downloaded several different kernels, but nothing wants to recognize the airport card other than benh 2.4.20r9. Always I get SIOCSIFADDR: No such Device. Yes, the kernel driver modules are set, and modprobed. Orinoco module does load, but no card recognition happens.

3rd, should not the airsnort or kismet ebuild script handle everything, so it all "just works", or at least give explicit instructions to complete the installation?

4th, how does pcmcia-cs fit into all this? Or does it fit in at all on PPC? Do ibooks even HAVE pcmcia needs?

5th, should I be using linux-wlan-ng?

6th, would it be really great if all these questions were answered so no-one will have to ask them again in this forum? ;-) Then they could be folded into the Docs section, perhaps, because warwalking is so darn cool?

ACK!

Giant Thanks!
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ibook2, so I can only help you somewhat.

on mine at least, I don't use pcmcia at all.

at the site in my sig, I have my kismet config file.

you must have a slightly different airport chipset than me. the patches have always worked fine on my kernels. and the latest stable ppc sources doesn't require any patching for me.
gen2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

zojas wrote:
I have an ibook2, so I can only help you somewhat.

on mine at least, I don't use pcmcia at all.

at the site in my sig, I have my kismet config file.

you must have a slightly different airport chipset than me. the patches have always worked fine on my kernels. and the latest stable ppc sources doesn't require any patching for me.

Hey, nice ppc page! Very cool.

No pcmcia? That helps. I tried your .config file on a freshly downloaded 2.4.21-ppc-r2, after removing all /lib/modules/stuff from other compiles, and dumping other kernels in /usr/src/.
That should be a clean slate, afaik. To top it off, I have an ibook1 and an ibook2 running gentoo, so I did this same thing to both.

Exact same problem, now on both units:
SIOCSIFADDR: No Such Device
when trying to start eth1.

So I would normally start trying to figure out what's going on with the hardware, but lspci shows nothing about orinoco cards. How can I discover my firmware version? Which ones are "compatible"? What tool can even probe these cards?

BTW, BOTH of these ibooks have seen thousands of hours of gentoo/airport action, and in kernels past, have both run orinoco patches successfully and achieved monitor mode. Something has changed, and I have no idea what! Once I went to newer kernels, it all went away, and it seems like something awful got "jammed" into the cards by an evil driver, er sumthin.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to try to troubleshoot this one?

Thanks!!
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wireless-tools is the package containing iwconfig but I don't think that will help you until you get orinoco modprobed.

on my ibook2 these are the modules I have loaded right now:

Code:

Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: GF
tun                     5296   0
mol                    51464   0
radeon                109944  18
keyspan                27380   0  (unused)
usbserial              20272   0  [keyspan]
airport                 3364   1
orinoco                38816   0  [airport]
hermes                  9024   0  [airport orinoco]
sungem                 25872   0
sungem_phy              5984   0  [sungem]
i2c-keywest             7168   0  (autoclean) (unused)
dmasound_pmac          65616   0
i2c-core               14288   0  [i2c-keywest dmasound_pmac]
dmasound_core          12736   0  [dmasound_pmac]
ide-scsi               11120   0
ide-cd                 31024   0
loop                   43876   6  (autoclean)

some of those aren't relevant.
jbc42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - In my setup (iBook 2.2) it works fine with the latest stable ppc-sources kernel (which it looks like you're using too). That has all the monitor mode patches integrated. I have no idea why your drivers aren't working - you are modprobing airport and not orinoco? You haven't enabled wavelan drivers? If you have the right drivers "iwpriv eth1" should have the "monitor" keyword in the output.

2 - Edit kismet.conf to config your install to run on the airport card (config as orinoco). Run kismet_monitor to put in monitor mode. Run kismet_hopper to get it to hop channels. Airsnort is relatively easy to get working if you have kismet working, although my gets a bit flaky after a few thousand packets

3 - No :-) neither of these tools is setup for someone new to this - you should hit the kismetwireless.net site for the docs.

4 - it doesn't... ibooks don't have pcmcia slots

5 - no, airport is a modified orinoco card

6 - yes it would wouldn't it ;-) ?

On a side note, my personal favourite is actually kismac on osx with the integrated cracking and speech for discovered ssids :-)
gen2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

1 - Thanks to Zojas, I discovered the weasle gnawing on my face was indeed ye olde modprobing of AIRPORT, not just orinoco. DOH! 8O

2 - Yah, dey be krankin now.

3 - Kismet conf turns out to be pretty easy after all...my frustrations were originating from the lack of modular joy...

4 - kewl. I still wonder about what bus this card inhabits, and why lspci is unaware of it...could it be a usb dev? Guess I'll check that...or maybe it's some wacky Apple novelty-bus...

* New And Exciting Issue Of the Moment:

Using wireless-tools-27_pre2, I enter

# iwconfig eth1 essid "testing123"

and sure enough, the change is visible with

# ifconfig eth1

BUT

if I enter

# ifconfig eth1 channel 01

I get this:

Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
SET failed on device eth1; Operation not supported

Puh. 8O

Which face-gnawing rodent am I unable to identify today?
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

gen2 wrote:
if I enter

# ifconfig eth1 channel 01

I get this:

ifconfig doesn't understand channel .. that should be iwconfig.
gen2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

Okay, well now that everyone knows I'm on crack...

s/ifconfig/iwconfig
and
s/crack/rehab

Trying again to convey my prollem:

iif I enter

# iwconfig eth1 channel 01

I get this:

(ifconfig couldnt have produced that error message after all, anyway :))

thanks!
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

gen2 wrote:

OK .. are you in managed mode when attempting this? You can't set the channel in managed mode, you have to be in monitor mode.
Code:
iwpriv eth1 monitor  2 1

gen2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

That sounds like a very interesting bit of info, but I've managed to find a way for it NOT to work!

So I'm running on the airport net, everything is beautiful:
# iwconfig eth1
eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"testing" Nickname:"HERMES I"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.422GHz Access Point: XX:XX:XXwhatever
Bit Rate:11Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity:1/3
Retry limit:4 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:47/92 Signal level:-46 dBm Noise level:-93 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Then I run this:

# iwpriv eth1 monitor 2 1

then this happens

# iwconfig eth1
eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"non-specified SSID !!" Nickname:"HERMES I"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00
Bit Rate:11Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity:1/3
Retry limit:4 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality:0/92 Signal level:134/153 Noise level:134/153
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

The ESSID value is weird (to me), the access point value is very strange (yeah, it's really 00's), the frequency changed(???), Link Quality is weird relative to previous state, SigLev and NoiseLev are descibed in new terms, too. The processor is getting slammed, however, which seems to indicate monitor mode "happened", but I'm still in managed mode?? Verry confusing...

So then I do this:

# iwconfig eth1 channel 1
or even
#iwconfig eth1 channel 01

and get this again:

I'm assuming that kismet_hopper (kismet and airsnort do work, btw) has control over this channel switching deal, so I'm baffled as to why I can't do it. This is an iBook2-500 at the moment...I aim to get it rolling here 1st then migrate whatever to the iBook1, then post a link to a boneheads' how-to based on what we acheive here...

THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE!

:)
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

gen2 wrote:
That sounds like a very interesting bit of info, but I've managed to find a way for it NOT to work!

crack? <grin>

gen2 wrote:
So I'm running on the airport net, everything is beautiful

which of course you shouldn't be .. just load the module, put the card into monitor mode and start kismet.

gen2 wrote:
Code:
eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"non-specified SSID !!"  Nickname:"HERMES I"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412GHz  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00
          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3 
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:134/153  Noise level:134/153
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

The ESSID value is weird (to me), the access point value is very strange (yeah, it's really 00's),

802.11b supports three modes, Managed, Adhoc (AKA, Access Point) and Monitor, not all cards (or rather the cards firmware) supports all three modes but thats another issue. When in Monitor and Adhoc modes you have no Access Point as you are not associating with an access point, you are either an access point yourself or are simply monitoring traffic.

gen2 wrote:
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE!

no problem .. hopefully the above clears up some missunderstanding re wireless and you have some success.
gen2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

Thanks, but kismet does work, and airsnort -- that whole deal is nailed, thank you all very much.
I can even get back out of monitor mode, reset my eth1 action, do normal surfing after a kismet session; all is well.

Regarding the previous message and channel changing, it certainly appears as though I WAS in monitor mode (2nd instance of iwconfig eth1 in the Aug29,10.18am message), and you're basically telling me I was indeed because the access point value was 00:00:etc. That's great but why does iwconfig eth1 still say "Mode:Managed"? That's exactly the kind of thing that sends me back to the hot pipe. ;)
Shouldn't the Mode: value be Monitor?

I may be drifting offtopic by a slice, but what I was trying to do is manually change channels, so that after I find an open AP with kismet (and after exiting kismet and resetting the interface) I'd be able to switch to that channel and get some access. I'm bracing myself for another dispensation of "the obvious" that I've overlooked yet again...but this is great stuff for my boneheads' how-NOT-to doc...:)

So I'm still stuck at trying to just simply change channels on the card with iwconfig.

8O
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

gen2 wrote:
Regarding the previous message and channel changing, it certainly appears as though I WAS in monitor mode (2nd instance of iwconfig eth1 in the Aug29,10.18am message), and you're basically telling me I was indeed because the access point value was 00:00:etc. That's great but why does iwconfig eth1 still say "Mode:Managed"? That's exactly the kind of thing that sends me back to the hot pipe. ;)
Shouldn't the Mode: value be Monitor?

yes it's odd, I'm not near a machine I can test but does 'iwpriv eth1' also show managed?

gen2 wrote:
I may be drifting offtopic by a slice, but what I was trying to do is manually change channels, so that after I find an open AP with kismet (and after exiting kismet and resetting the interface) I'd be able to switch to that channel and get some access. I'm bracing myself for another dispensation of "the obvious" that I've overlooked yet again...but this is great stuff for my boneheads' how-NOT-to doc...

So I'm still stuck at trying to just simply change channels on the card with iwconfig.

You can only enable monitor mode on one channel at a time, this is why kismet_hopper or orinoco_hopper are required for scanning. Rather than do it manually I would suggest using one of the above.

Doesn't changing the channel manually with iwpriv work?
gen2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

Quote:
yes it's odd, I'm not near a machine I can test but does 'iwpriv eth1' also show managed?

Hmmm...iwpriv doesn't seem like the right place for that, according to my read of the man page. There's an explicit statement in man iwconfig regarding the setting of channels, but not in iwpriv.
Am I missing something?

Quote:
You can only enable monitor mode on one channel at a time, this is why kismet_hopper or orinoco_hopper are required for scanning. Rather than do it manually I would suggest using one of the above.

I don't want to change the mode on more than one channel at a time, that's well-handled by kismet_hopper as I said in preceding messages. All of that side of the issue -- kismet, hopper, monitor mode, all of it works as advertised (except for the Mode:Managed indication part during monitor mode).

The issue now is how to manually change channels (nothing to do with monitor mode) while in normal operating (surfing) mode, so I can be on the same channel as a found AP.
gen2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmmm...iwpriv doesn't seem like the right place for that, according to my read of the man page. There's an explicit statement in man iwconfig regarding the setting of channels, but not in iwpriv.
Am I missing something?

Quote:

I don't want to change the mode on more than one channel at a time, that's well-handled by kismet_hopper as I said in preceding messages. All of that side of the issue -- kismet, hopper, monitor mode, all of it works as advertised (except for the Mode:Managed indication part during monitor mode).

The issue now is how to manually change channels (nothing to do with monitor mode) while in normal operating (surfing) mode, so I can be on the same channel as a found AP.
gen2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

OK, I think I found the answer. Seems that we CAN'T change the channels manually (and probably don't have to)!

According to this:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=4437322

"Can't set the channel in managed mode, the firmware always scans the
channels for an AP with matching ESSID."

YOWZA. :roll:

Good Lawd this stuff needs to be in one place! I'm on it, if I can get a window this week there'll be a summary of these discoveries and issues forthcoming.

Thanks All!
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so all we have to do to join a network is set the essid?
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

gen2 wrote:
OK, I think I found the answer. Seems that we CAN'T change the channels manually (and probably don't have to)

yes, I know .. in fact I said this further back in the thread <wink>:

cselkirk wrote:
You can't set the channel in managed mode,

Quote:
"Can't set the channel in managed mode, the firmware always scans the channels for an AP with matching ESSID."

yes, actually this is where you lost me (or I was reading too hastily) as I was thinking monitor mode, based on the fact that managed mode doesn't support channel.

gen2 wrote:
Good Lawd this stuff needs to be in one place! I'm on it, if I can get a window this week there'll be a summary of these discoveries and issues forthcoming.

Re-reading the thread there is one issue I should clear up, seems you are not the only one on crack <wink>.

The "three modes" are in fact Master, Adhoc and Managed (what was I thinking .. doh). Monitor is simply a capabilty of the driver. These modes refer to Access Point, Adhoc network (where each node acts as both client/server) and Managed (client). My bad.

Good luck with documenting ..
gen2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: airsnort, pcmcia-cs, monitor mode, ibook1 Reply with quote

Quote:

Yah, Zojas, it seems that way, although I haven't actually tried it yet!

If someone gets to it before me, please post your findings, thanks!
8)
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zojas wrote:

Actually there is no need to set the ESSID, it's simply a matter of sending an 'client_associate', which is what happens when you bring up a wireless interface (in Managed mode). If the AP is open, and serves you dhcp you shouldn't need to do anything else .. traffic should route through it.

ESSID is used if there are numerious AP's in the vacinity, and you wish to associate with one above another and/or in an environment where WEP keys are in use.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: