I Can't turn ARTS off...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasquedAvenger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: I Can't turn ARTS off... Reply with quote

Does anyone know how I turn ARTS off? Just telling it not to start the arts sound server at startup does absolutely nothing as KDE applications still use it anyway and screw things up big time for me. I tried:

emerge --unmerge arts

But now, everything that needs sound is broken. For some reason, I can't get anything to play through the normal /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. Any ideas? I am probably going to re-compile from scratch again, wiping out the entire system. My use flags did not have support for arts, so I don't know why it was even using it in the first place.

James
kopfarzt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I Can't turn ARTS off... Reply with quote

MasquedAvenger wrote:
For some reason, I can't get anything to play through the normal /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. Any ideas?

Yes, artsd could still be running (unemerge does not stop it). If yes, it is blocking the sound device.

But, why do you want to disable arts? In a desktop environment like KDE I think you need something to handle simultaneous sound requests from different applications. If some of your applications need to access /dev/dsp, start them with
Code:
artsdsp application

kopfarzt
MasquedAvenger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying a sound card with hardware mixing because arts, based on my own experience as well as the experiences of numerous other posters, is a huge piece of crap that rarely works the way it's supposed to. Since I'm purchasing a card that supports hardware mixing and thus does not need a sound daemon like arts or esd, I would like to remove it from the system. There's gotta be a way to get rid of it completely. Others have done it.

James
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: