Pulseaudio: padsp + /dev/dsp busy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dheath
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Pulseaudio: padsp + /dev/dsp busy Reply with quote

I have a program in binary that uses /dev/dsp as an audio output. In a matter of fact it can use any audio device under /dev/. I also think it works almost as simply as "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp". It is an old program so it uses OSS. It's name is mplinux.

The problem is that it steals the audio control preventing other applications playing sound.

Before I have used it with aoss and thus preventing it from stealing audio control. Now I have moved to new Gentoo system;
amd64, baselayout2 and Pulseaudio.

So, I tried:
Code:

$ padsp /home/dheath/ohjelmat/mikropuhe/mplinux

which actually works better than without the padsp. The command works well even with other audio devices under /dev/.

The problem is that it steals the audio control:
Code:

# lsof |grep dev/dsp
mplinux   25739     dheath    5w      CHR               14,3      0t0       5355 /dev/dsp
# fuser /dev/dsp
/dev/dsp:            25739

Same result is with aoss.

Where could be the problem?

I have changed /etc/pulse/default.pa so that Pulseaudio would not try to auto detect the audio card. The auto detection will not work correctly for some reason.
Code:

load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=dmx_out device=hw:0 channels=10
channel_map=left,right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7
load-module module-alsa-source source_name=dmx_in device=hw:0 channels=12       channel_map=left,right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7,aux8,aux9

I have also problems with mplayer. When I use parameter "-ao pulse" the video and audio are jerky separately. It seems that mplayer uses OSS and thus steals the audio control. The difference with the mplinux is that the padsp actually work with mplayer.
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed this guide;
http://duckzland.ismywebsite.com/about/pulseaudio-and-gentoo/
Mine is a little different as I don't start pulseaudio system wide with;
Code:

/etc/init.d/pulseaudio start
rc-update add pulseaudio default

Here are my files;
http://dwabbott.com/pulse/
For mplayer look at mplayer.conf, the real location of that file is /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
It seems to be working fine, I do have the latest;
Code:

[ebuild   R   ] media-sound/pulseaudio-0.9.15-r51  USE="X alsa asyncns avahi bluetooth caps dbus glib hal oss tcpd -gnome -jack -libsamplerate -lirc (-policykit) -test" 0 kB

I even have audacity working with dmix for output;
http://dwabbott.com/downloads/audacity.png

And I do use gnome so;

gnome-volume-control
select your input and output devices

gstreamer-properties
select PulseAudio Sound Server

Also either the pulse user needs to be in plugdev, or
pulseaudio needs to install a dbus policy file to allow access.

http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/582
Dheath
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. All that will be useful. Mplayer works now with pulse audio. Sadly though it did not solve the real problem.

I changed my system using the /etc/init.d/pulseaudio service. I also checked everything trough and nothing seems to be out of order, expect that I can not find gstreamer-properties even tough media-plugins/gst-plugins-pulse is installed.
Also I actually found another program with the same problem: AudioOverload.

I think that the easiest way of reproducing my problem is doing:
$ padsp cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

Expeced results:
Code:

# lsof |grep dev/dsp & lsof |grep dev/snd
[1] 12064 12065
[1]  + done       lsof |
       exit 1     grep --colour=auto dev/dsp
pulseaudi 12006      pulse  mem       CHR             116,10                3992 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
pulseaudi 12006      pulse   21u      CHR             116,10      0t0       3992 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
pulseaudi 12006      pulse   26u      CHR              116,8      0t0       3674 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 12006      pulse   32u      CHR              116,8      0t0       3674 /dev/snd/controlC1

Or something similar that has only pulseaudio taking control.

Actual results:
Code:

# lsof |grep dev/dsp & lsof |grep dev/snd
[1] 12072 12073
cat       12071     dheath    1w      CHR               14,3      0t0       5366 /dev/dsp
[1]  + done       lsof | grep --colour=auto dev/dsp
pulseaudi 12006      pulse   26u      CHR              116,8      0t0       3674 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 12006      pulse   32u      CHR              116,8      0t0       3674 /dev/snd/controlC1

Why does not padsp handle this properly?
Neither -d (debug) nor pulseaudio output anything. It is as if the padsp has never been used.

my /etc/pulse/default.pa:
Code:

.nofail

load-sample-lazy pulse-hotplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
load-sample-lazy pulse-coldplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
load-sample-lazy pulse-access /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav

.fail

load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=dmx_out device=hw:0 channels=10 channel_map=left,right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7
load-module module-alsa-source source_name=dmx_in device=hw:0 channels=12 channel_map=left,right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7,aux8,aux9

load-module module-native-protocol-unix
load-module module-volume-restore
load-module module-default-device-restore
load-module module-rescue-streams
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

Notice that I do not load module-hal-detect because it starts using only the integrated audio output and gives something like:
Code:

E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_1412_1712_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0"): initialization failed.

If I load module-detect I get something similar and there is no sound.
With:
Code:

load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=dmx_out device=hw:0 channels=10 channel_map=left,right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7
load-module module-alsa-source source_name=dmx_in device=hw:0 channels=12 channel_map=left,right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7,aux8,aux9

I get only the audio from my PCI audio card.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: