Question Regarding Downloaded ISO's
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MexDeath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Question Regarding Downloaded ISO's Reply with quote

My question is simple:

I am interested in Gentoo, now, to install it I need to download a specific version according to my CPU, or so it appears to be. Good, we're up to date on that... so, when I look at the list of Distributions, for the amd64 2008.0 Live CD, I get several options, as follows:

Quote:

[ ] livecd-amd64-installer-2008.0-r1.ISO
[ ] livecd-amd64-installer-2008.0-r1.ISO.CONTENTS
[ ] livecd-amd64-installer-2008.0-r1.ISO.DIGESTS

[ ] livecd-amd64-installer-2008.0.ISO
[ ] livecd-amd64-installer-2008.0.ISO.CONTENTS
[ ] livecd-amd64-installer-2008.0.ISO.DIGESTS

Therefore, it follows that my question is: What is the difference between the three options that have the '2008.0-r1.ISO' ending, and those that do not?
Also, what is in the CONTENTS, and DIGESTS downloads? Is it also necessary to download those along with the Live-CD?

Thanks,

MexDeath.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MexDeath,

Don't use any of them. The livecd-amd64-installer-2008.0.ISO is broken. It does not install grub. Thats the boot loader, so you box won't boot if you use that. livecd-amd64-installer-2008.0-r1.ISO fixes that ... but it provides you with an install based on Gentoo as it was in February 2008. Its a challenge to update to todays Gentoo. Don't use that either.

Follow the Gentoo Handbook and use either SystemRescueCD if you would like a GUI while you install or one of the Gentoo weekly autobuilds
Get an amd64 one for a 64 bit install.

Installing this way gives you todays Gentoo

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
MexDeath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
MexDeath,
Don't use any of them.

Roger that.
Quote:

or one of the Gentoo weekly autobuilds

Any of the ones DIRECTLY under the Highlighted (red) area?
Well, depending on my CPU of course.
Quote:

Installing this way gives you today's Gentoo

That's good, but I read somewhere, I think in a sticky, that even if you have an old version (which I don't,) upgrading to a more recent one is possible (though tedious). I'd be up for the challenge.

I used AMD64 as an example, but I'll be installing Gentoo first as a trial/experiment in an old 1998 Computer with 32MB RAM, 4GB HD. I think maybe a Live-CD will do fine, however, I have NO experience doing that, so I'm up for some suggestions. I'm not afraid to fail, and re-try, read, re-read, then read again to try again. I have not yet learned ANY other way to learn other than through making mistakes and asking questions.

You see, I'm doing some research on the Linux Kernel, therefore, I'll do all these 'experimenting' on an old Computer before I wreck my Newer one. If you have any more advice, I'm up for it as well, and I would greatly thank you(or anyone else) for it.

As for why I used an AMD64 as an example, well... I do have a Computer ( actually two) with AMD64 or AMD64 Compatible (x86-64) CPU's. In the future, after I'm done "bombarding" my old computer, I plan on using Gentoo on those two newer computers. I got a long way to go, thanks again, you have answered my question satisfactorily.

Thanks,

MexDeath.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...is there any reason not to run gentoo in a VM on your new box?

I mean if you're doing kernel work that depends on specific hardware, your 1998 box isn't bloody likely to have any even remotely similar hardware to your new box (or at least, dear sweet jesus I hope not), so research done on that won't translate over to your new box, right?

Well with that given, since we can assume your kernel work doesn't depend on hardware, there shouldn't be any reason not to just run it in a VM on the new box.

With 32MB RAM, and a 4GB HDD, no way will compilations complete in a sane amount of time on that box. In fact depending on the arch, it may not build full stop.
Hell, if the box is ancient enough hardware, you may not even be able to boot from a CD, and might be stuck loading crap onto it with floppy disks (which, to be fair, I would find hilarious)

Further to that, in the event you manage to get a CD to boot, it might well be the case that hardware is so old, you're precluded from running anything but a 2.4 (or maybe even 2.2) kernel - which, if your purpose is research, may or may not translate terribly well on new hardware.

In short, go for a VM.
MexDeath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So...is there any reason not to run gentoo in a VM on your new box?
[... more text from cach0rr0 goes here ...]
In short, go for a VM.

Yes, there is a reason: I don't like VM's.
I will do a little bit of more toying around with Linux before I go Gentoo, not ready for it yet.

MexDeath.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MexDeath,

Make some space on your new Pc and set up a dual boot sytem.
gcc-4 needs at least 64Mb RAM and you will find installing onto a 4G drive possible but Xorg will be a squeeze.

If you still want to go ahead. Remove the hdd from the old PC and install it it your newer one.
Now install gentoo on that drive but target it for the old PC.
Your install is done with the speed and RAM of the new PC.

When its installed, move the drive back to the old PC.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: