Ext3 dies after mass data transfer, mounted in WinXP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qlat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Ext3 dies after mass data transfer, mounted in WinXP Reply with quote

My data drive has a single ext3 partition which I mount in my NTFS WinXP install with Paragon Mount Everything v3.0

Since I'm on the Georgia Tech network, I figured I would bulk up my mp3 collection. I find someone on the network who has very nicely categorized songs and I started transferring files.

Lo and behold, a few minutes lates into my file transferring, my system stops responding. I can still move the mouse, so I open up the Windows Task Manager. It says the window I had opened of my mp3 directory is not responding, so I try to close it, but no cigar. I can't soft reset so I hard reset my system.

Upon booting back into XP, my mp3 directory is empty. Not only that, but the root directory for that, my music directory which also includes music videos is also empty, not to mention some various mp3s I had sitting in the music root directory.

I boot into gentoo and run fsck. I get a number of error, the most disconcerting of which is the following:

Code:
'..' in ... (1490945) is /musik/mp3s (655361), should be <The NULL inode> (0).
Fix<y>?

I say yes to everything and finish up fsck, but the directory is still missing. I suck it up and back up the other data on my ext3 drive and reformat and repartition it. Funny thing is, when I ran fdisk, there was no partition listed. That was yesterday.

So, about 20 min ago, I went back to the same folder in an attempt to replenish my mp3 collection. Strangely enough, the exact same error has now occurred and the 1GB or so of mp3s I had transferred has dissappeared.

Naturally, there could be a million sources to this problem. My question is, has anyone heard of ext3 just died like this before? The IFS drivers from Mount Everything should be good; it is one of the premiere mounting software. When I transfer the 8GB or so of data I back up, both to and from the ext3 drive, there are no problems (although files in other directories on the ext3 drive were corrupted, including installation .exe's)

Any ideas on the catalyst? I just e-mailed Paragon about this problem.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol what do you expect? windows can hardly handle fat and ntfs let along ext2 or 3! ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: