View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
photomaskman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: No window decorations in KDE 4.3 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I upgraded from KDE 4.2 to KDE 4.3 and have no window decorations. ( I think that's what it's called) There is no border and no title bar on windows, they all open in the upper left and cannot be moved.

I have two computers with the main hardware difference being nvidia vs. ati graphics card. The nvidia machine had no trouble, but the ati exhibits the problem described.

My ati card is a radeon 9600 and I'm running the proprietary drivers for it that are now hardmasked.

so far I have tried:
* removing the .kde directory and restarting kde
* Turned off compositing through xorg.conf and restart kde
* reinstall kwin

I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited by photomaskman on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Astarot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem when i recompile my kernel. After this i have to install again fglrx drivers, without them i don`t have window decorations (no title bars and stuff). When i run radeonhd or radeon, moving windows is just horrible slow - i can even watch the rendering process of window frame by frame like a some kind of presentation :P. So make sure you are loading fglrx correctly. You can type glxgears in Konsole or check /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

PS: Oh wait. Is your card Radeon 9600 ? Isn`t it to old for fglrx ? As far as i know fglrx runs only on chipset newer than r6xx. Maybe you should try radeonhd ? I have Radeon Mobility HD 4570 so i am sentenced to proprietary ati drivers.
photomaskman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had checked the output of fglrxinfo and it said I had hardware acceleration.
I don't know what the problem was. But I rebooted today and the problem was gone. I guess it was some driver that needed to be reloaded.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: