Building kernel for Pentium-150MHz on P3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaseem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Building kernel for Pentium-150MHz on P3 Reply with quote

Hi,
New to Gentoo but am comfortable with Linux in general. I have installed Gentoo using P3 LiveCD on a PIII (868 Mhz) machine, following Installation Guide.
I have a stone age machine with me: Pentium 150MHz with 64MB and 4GB HDD. Tried installing Gentoo from x86 Live CDs on it but at the stage of "make bzImage" it comes out with error related to vmlinux ....something something ( I don't remember the exact error as the PC is at home right now). "make dep" goes through however. I have tried genkernel way as well as manual kernel compilation. Both got stuck at the same place.
I m thinking of compiling the kernel for P150 on PIII which has Gentoo already running. And then move that kernel to the P150 machine using floppy as the kernel size should not be much. (as I don't want unnecessary stuff like USB support etc...for an old PC)

Can it be done :?:
If yes, then I would appreciate a detailed walk-through (sort of How-to) from some body or a pointer in the direction.

Also, is it possible to compile stuff like Xfree on P3 for P150? How about another pointer !!! :roll:

TIA
--
Vaseem
kopfarzt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you an exact HOWTO, but I got this working:

NFS Export / from your slow machine and mount it on your fast machine.
Do a chroot into your mount point and source /etc/profile
Start the compilation there.

(If this does not work, which you will see immediatly, it is necessary to mount some local directories, like /tmp into your NFS mount, IIRC)

Sorry I have no log of what I did exactly, I only know it worked that way and was almost as fast as a local compile :-)

kopfarzt
Robelix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The P3 Live-cd will not work on a P1! You need the x86 CD.
Al'Capone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Kernel error? Reply with quote

What kernel are you using??

I had installed gentoo on Pentium 166 mmx with 64 mb of ram with no problems what so ever. the only trade back is that it tooked me about 4 days

8O but at the end it run great for its hardware limitation faster than mandrake and smother than red hat and SuSE :D (however not as good as slackware for some odd reason) then again back in those days it was gentoo 1.2 what i used. but even then there should be no difference unless GCC is not liking your optimizations.

Please post your exact error so we could help you better.

Cheers
AL
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: