View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: How to stop portage emerging kde-3.5 packages Reply with quote

Hi,

This is an odd one. I have two machines: an old laptop that has been upgraded through KDE3.* to KDE4, and a new netbook that began its life with only KDE4. I'm having a problem with the old machine in that after unmerging most kde3 packages (except kdelibs-3.5.10 and k3b) via emerge --depclean, when I then did an emerge -uDva world, it wanted to merge all these packages back again!

In both cases, I don't use any sets or metapackages for kde but simply emerge kdebase-startkde and any additional individual apps (e.g. konqueror) that I need. I did have some other kde3 apps on the older box (quanta, kiso, kooka) but I've now unmerged all of them except k3b. Even so, the world update pulls in the 3.5-slot versions of all the apps in my world file. Nothing like this happens on the new machine.

I can prevent this behaviour by appending ":4.3" to all the kde-base and kde-misc packages in the world file (thus having *only* the specific slotted versions listed, not the general package atoms as before), but I presume this will mean that later kde versions won't be offered in world updates in future unless I manually update these slot specifications in the world file. And that's a pain in the arse...!

The new machine has only package atoms listed in its world file (no slots specified) for the kde apps, and it doesn't want to emerge any 3.5 stuff. What's the difference?

Any solutions very welcome, this is baking my noodle :/
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try revdep-rebuild?
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's sorta what got me into this mess...

I was about to run a revdep-rebuild to cope with the upgrade to jpeg-7 and the list was so large that I thought I'd try emerge --depclean first to see what I could get rid of. I chose to unmerge most of the kde3 packages that appeared in the list, then proceeded to run revdep-rebuild for real. It was when I ran an emerge -uDav world immediately after that, that the packages wanted to be re-merged.

So, I'm assuming at this point that another revdep-rebuild won't achieve much (I will try it though). I also should note that if I do emerge -Dp k3b, it doesn't ask for any of these packages so I know they aren't dependencies of it.

Just a thought, but can sets be declared in package.[un]mask? If so I could presumably mask @kde3 - though then I'd need to unmask kdelibs-3.5.10 and k3b. Would this work? Just thinking aloud.
onelove
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps you have set the "kde" useflag on your older machine? it'll pull in kde3 stuff.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onelove wrote:
perhaps you have set the "kde" useflag on your older machine? it'll pull in kde3 stuff.

I have that on both machines. Can you elaborate on what ebuilds the flag pulls in kde3 stuff for? I don't see anything in use.local.desc that indicates that (though one package has a "kde3" useflag, I certainly don't have that set).
onelove
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi: although i use kde-4.3, i didn't set the kde useflag anywhere.

Code:
equery hasuse kde -p | wc -l
says, that there are currently 176 packages in (my) portage tree with the kde useflag. it will be difficult for me to tell you for all packages. but on my machine i did a
Code:
USE="kde" emerge world -uDNvp
and i found out, that celestia is an app that needs kde3libs to compile. but it was the only app, too. there seem to be inconsistencies with the kde useflag, regarding to the kde versions in portage.

i hope this helped you out a bit.

regards,
onelove
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about half a dozen packages installed with USE="kde" and none of them pull in the packages I'm seeing. The list is exactly the packages I have in the world file, to the point that if I delete one of those entries, it stops wanting to emerg the 3.5-slot version of that package.

Conclusion: portage sees these packages in the world file without a slot specification, and apparently thinks I want both slots filled. If I specify :4.3 for all of those packages, though, then presumably they won't get an upgrade when :4.4 and so forth come along.

I hit on another (hackish) solution: masking the 3.5 versions. The idea I had above about masking @kde3.5 isn't supported unfortunately, so I had to add each package in the world-file to my package.mask, which I did as follows:
Code:

for p in `grep kde-base /var/lib/portage/world`; do echo "<=$p-3.9.9999" >> /etc/portage/package.mask; done

That keeps all current and future 3.* versions of the packages out of my world updates, though obviously it means if I add any further kde4 packages, I'll have to add them to package.mask in the same way. (Bit of a pain, but more maintainable I guess).

I still want to know why only this machine is affected, though.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can only be a dependency that causing that. I would purge all the kde3 stuff until it's completely purged
Code:
emerge -Ca $(qlist -IC kde)
then
Code:
emerge --depclean -av
and revdep-rebuild twice :wink:

then emerge kde4
then emerge k3b which will pull in kdelibs-3.5.10
Code:
# emerge -pv k3b

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b-r2  USE="mysql opengl -cups -debug -doc -examples -firebird -immqt -immqt-bc -ipv6 -nas -nis -odbc -postgres -sqlite -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-libs/libsamplerate-0.1.7  USE="-sndfile" 4,239 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-sound/normalize-0.7.7  USE="mad nls -audiofile" 380 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-libs/libquicktime-1.1.3  USE="X aac alsa encode gtk jpeg lame mmx opengl png vorbis x264 -doc -dv -ffmpeg -schroedinger" 961 kB
[ebuild  N    ] net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.6-r5  USE="java -debug -doc" 1,408 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.10-r6 [4.3.0] USE="acl alsa branding fam spell tiff -arts -avahi -bindist -cups -debug -doc -jpeg2k -kdehiddenvisibility -kerberos -legacyssl -lua -openexr -utempter" 15,270 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-video/transcode-1.1.4  USE="3dnow X a52 aac alsa dvd iconv jpeg mmx mp3 ogg quicktime sdl sse sse2 truetype vorbis x264 xml xvid (-altivec) -dv -imagemagick -lzo -mjpeg -nuv -oss -postproc -theora -v4l2" 2,068 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-cdr/k3b-1.0.5-r6  USE="alsa dvd dvdr encode flac hal mp3 vorbis -arts -css -debug -emovix -ffmpeg -musepack -musicbrainz -sndfile -vcd -xinerama" LINGUAS="-af -ar -bg -br -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en_GB -es -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -ga -gl -he -hi -hu -is -it -ja -ka -lt -mk -ms -nb -nds -nl -nn -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -rw -se -sk -sr -sr@Latn -sv -ta -tr -uk -uz -zh_CN -zh_TW" 4,994 kB

Total: 8 packages (7 new, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 29,317 kB

It's probably best to keep your world file as lean as possible. :)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any info when K3B will depends on KDE4 actually ?
amaroc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've somehow the same issue.
Havin_it wrote:
I've got about half a dozen packages installed with USE="kde" and none of them pull in the packages I'm seeing. The list is exactly the packages I have in the world file, to the point that if I delete one of those entries, it stops wanting to emerg the 3.5-slot version of that package.

Same here. Playing with USE="-kde" didn't help as well. After emerge --depclean I get the following:
Code:
# emerge -Duvp --newuse --with-bdeps y world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/libkonq-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdebase-data-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdialog-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kcminit-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdesu-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/khotkeys-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kmenuedit-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kicker-3.5.10-r1  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility -xcomposite" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.10-r1 [4.3.2] USE="hal ldap -debug -kdehiddenvisibility -openexr -samba" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/khelpcenter-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-misc/krusader-1.90.0-r1 [2.0.0-r1] USE="kde -arts -debug -javascript -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kcontrol-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="opengl -arts -debug -ieee1394 -joystick -kdehiddenvisibility -logitech-mouse" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/konsole-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-misc/yakuake-2.8 [2.9.6] USE="-arts -debug -xinerama" LINGUAS="de -el -es -et -it -ja -nl -pa -pt -pt_BR -sv -tr" 0 kB

Total: 14 packages (1 new, 13 in new slots), Size of downloads: 0 kB

yakuake and krusader are part of my worldfile but
Code:
# equery depends yakuake
[ Searching for packages depending on yakuake... ]

did not show anything, same for krusader.
So following your proposal and adding to package.mask
Code:
<kde-misc/krusader-2.0.0
<kde-misc/yakuake-2.9.6

solved it.
Havin_it wrote:
I still want to know why only this machine is affected, though.

So, it's not the only machine but I also don't know what dependency pulled slottet 3.5 programs in.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

run
Code:
emerge -ptvND world
and see which packages polls the 3.5 packages.
amaroc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
run
Code:
emerge -ptvND world
and see which packages polls the 3.5 packages.

Thanks. I never checked the --tree option however, the output doesn't tell much more to me ...
Code:
# emerge -ptvND world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

[ebuild  NS   ] kde-misc/krusader-1.90.0-r1 [2.0.0-r1] USE="kde -arts -debug -javascript -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-misc/yakuake-2.8 [2.9.6] USE="-arts -debug -xinerama" LINGUAS="de -el -es -et -it -ja -nl -pa -pt -pt_BR -sv -tr" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]  kde-base/konsole-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]   kde-base/kcontrol-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="opengl -arts -debug -ieee1394 -joystick -kdehiddenvisibility -logitech-mouse" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]    kde-base/khelpcenter-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]     kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.10-r1 [4.3.2] USE="hal ldap -debug -kdehiddenvisibility -openexr -samba" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ]    kde-base/kicker-3.5.10-r1  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility -xcomposite" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]     kde-base/kmenuedit-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]    kde-base/khotkeys-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]    kde-base/kdesu-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]    kde-base/kcminit-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[nomerge      ] kde-misc/krusader-1.90.0-r1 [2.0.0-r1] USE="kde -arts -debug -javascript -xinerama"
[nomerge      ]  kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.10-r1 [4.3.2] USE="hal ldap -debug -kdehiddenvisibility -openexr -samba"
[ebuild  NS   ]   kde-base/kdialog-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[nomerge      ] kde-base/kcontrol-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="opengl -arts -debug -ieee1394 -joystick -kdehiddenvisibility -logitech-mouse"
[ebuild  NS   ]  kde-base/kdebase-data-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]  kde-base/libkonq-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made some tests on my computer.
look:
Code:
dagg@NCC-5001-D ~ $ emerge -ptv yakuake krusader

[ebuild  N    ] kde-misc/krusader-2.0.0-r1  USE="(-aqua) -debug -doc" LINGUAS="es -bg -bs -ca -cs -da -de -el -fr -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -nl -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -sk -sl -sr -sv -tr -uk -zh_CN" 4,556 kB                                                   
[ebuild  N    ] kde-misc/yakuake-2.8  USE="-arts -debug -xinerama" LINGUAS="es -de -el -et -it -ja -nl -pa -pt -pt_BR -sv -tr" 502 kB                                 
[ebuild  NS   ]  kde-base/konsole-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB                                                                               
[ebuild  NS   ]   kde-base/kcontrol-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="ieee1394 joystick opengl -arts -debug -kdehiddenvisibility -logitech-mouse" 0 kB                             
[ebuild  N    ]    kde-base/kicker-3.5.10-r1  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility -xcomposite" 0 kB                                                                     
[ebuild  NS   ]     kde-base/kmenuedit-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB                                                                         
[ebuild  NS   ]    kde-base/khelpcenter-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB                                                                         
[ebuild  NS   ]     kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.10-r1 [4.3.2] USE="ldap openexr samba -debug -hal -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB                                       
[ebuild  NS   ]      kde-base/kdialog-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB                                                                           
[ebuild  NS   ]    kde-base/khotkeys-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]    kde-base/kdesu-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]    kde-base/kcminit-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]    kde-base/kdebase-data-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]    kde-base/libkonq-3.5.10 [4.3.2] USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 kB

Total: 14 packages (3 new, 11 in new slots), Size of downloads: 5,058 kB
dagg@NCC-5001-D ~ $ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge -ptv yakuake krusader

[ebuild  N    ] kde-misc/krusader-2.0.0-r1  USE="(-aqua) -debug -doc" LINGUAS="es -bg -bs -ca -cs -da -de -el -fr -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -nl -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -sk -sl -sr -sv -tr -uk -zh_CN" 4,556 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-misc/yakuake-2.9.6  USE="(-aqua)" LINGUAS="-ca -cs -da -de -el -en_GB -fr -ga -gl -ja -ko -nds -nl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -sv -tr -uk" 273 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 4,829 kB
dagg@NCC-5001-D ~ $

in order to use both programs without the kde-3.5.10 being pulled in is to emerge krusader-2.0.0-r1 and yakuake-2.9.6.
amaroc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for testing further.
DaggyStyle wrote:
in order to use both programs without the kde-3.5.10 being pulled in is to emerge krusader-2.0.0-r1 and yakuake-2.9.6.

Yes, this is how it should work. However, both yakuake and krusader are installed as 4.x versions and portage wants to pull-in the 3.5-versions as additional slots.
It worked OK when upgrading from KDE 3.5.10 to 4.2.4 in August.
Code:
     Sat Aug  1 23:17:24 2009 <<< kde-misc/yakuake-2.8
     Sat Aug  1 23:18:50 2009 >>> kde-misc/yakuake-2.9.6
     Sat Aug  1 23:22:26 2009 >>> kde-base/kontact-4.2.4
     Sun Aug  2 17:00:26 2009 >>> kde-misc/krusader-2.0.0-r1

It survived the upgrade to 4.3.0 & 4.3.1. But when upgrading to KDE 4.3.2 the old version has been pulled in.
Code:
     Fri Oct  9 02:09:19 2009 >>> kde-misc/yakuake-2.8
     Fri Oct  9 03:23:09 2009 <<< kde-base/kdelibs-4.3.1-r1
     Fri Oct  9 03:23:13 2009 >>> kde-base/kdelibs-4.3.2

emerge --depclean still thinks that this is wrong and want's to remove those 3.5 stuff. But "emerge -uDN world" pulls it in again.
I suspect one 4.3.2 ebuild to be the root-cause but don't know how to find out.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unmerge yakuake and krusader, run emerge -atvDuN world and see if the packages are pulled in, if so then your problems is with another package.
if no, then emerge them again, this time make sure it is the last packages. that should work
amaroc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
unmerge yakuake and krusader, run emerge -atvDuN world and see if the packages are pulled in, if so then your problems is with another package.
if no, then emerge them again, this time make sure it is the last packages. that should work

Thanks. This was the right hint.
After unmerging and trying to re-emerge it complained that both packages are masked. And yes, this was the (my) mistake.
I could see from my backup-file that when I upgraded from KDE 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 I updated the kde43_package.keyword-file without the "krusader" and "yakuake" keywords. However, because the kde4 version where already installed emerge did not complain.
Why I ended up with this circular dependency is still not clear to me but I need to admit that I changed something "around" portage that could not have been resolved.
I don't know whether something comparable happened to the thread-opener as well - at least for me it is *solved*.
Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: