View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TobiWan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Screenwriting Software for Linux Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have searched the web all over using google, did an intense search at icewalkers and sourceforge and couldn't find anything similar to Sophocles, which is a screenwriting software with lots of features.

The only thing i found close to it, is a shareware called storylines and some Perl script which formats and outputs PDF. I am actually looking for something as fullblown like Sophocles.

Does anybody of you use screenwriting software or know something in the opensource domain that I can check out?

cheers,
Tobias
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a little early in their development cycle, but Chalice, the collaborative screenwriter tool from Writer's Forge looks promising. At least for people who write soaps for a living, I suppose... :P

Have you tried running Sophocles in WINE?
TobiWan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: not quite ;-) Reply with quote

plate wrote:
Probably a little early in their development cycle, but Chalice, the collaborative screenwriter tool from Writer's Forge looks promising. At least for people who write soaps for a living, I suppose... :P

I have seen it. But it really is early in the development cycle. Nothing that could serve for productive purposes. I guess I'll give it a try and test/use it and help that way making it better.

Although I really think I could start my own project and "clone" Sophocles. Coding a KDE Application has tempted me for a while now. This could just be it.

Quote:

Have you tried running Sophocles in WINE?

Which would require a registered version of Sophocles. And the PS/PDF output requires a Windows framework behind it, nothing WINE could emulate.

I am actually looking for something in the Open Source Domain, preferably for free (as free beer). I am not making a living with writing, it is more like a hobby, so I would like to avoid paying large sums of money for a software that's outdated in a couple of months...

regards,
Tobias
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good luck, then. And remember: the most important software for writing good screenplays is the one between your ears... 8)
TobiWan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Nice link :-) Reply with quote

Very nice link you provided there. The pages actually include a summary of reviews on screenwriting software. Sophocles is missing but I guess this is because it's too new.

There is a downloadlink to a software called (freefilm) is supposed to be hosted at sourceforge but I can't find the project. Maybe it died. The binary is there though.

Maybe I'll check it out tomorrow.

thanks anyway,
Tobias
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleasure. 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: