View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: X: two displays and switching between them Reply with quote

Hey,
I've got nvidia videocard configured for two different devices and displays. I have picture in both displays but how can i get mouse to the other display?
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: X: two displays and switching between them Reply with quote

jufoa wrote:
Hey,
I've got nvidia videocard configured for two different devices and displays. I have picture in both displays but how can i get mouse to the other display?

If you want too have two completely different desktops I have no idea, but in the most likely case that you want too have one desktop stretched over two screens you should use xinerama.

would Big Brother become a reality?

Yeah . . . it would be just like the tv show. Except somebody would be watching.
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dows gentoo automatically include xinerama to compilation or do i have to use xinerama use flag. how can i found out how this works?
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont need xinerama to have two desktops serviced by the same mouse/keyboard, although xinerama is certainly a valid solution. The disadvantage of xinerama is, your wallpaper is stretched across both monitors (if you have it 'fullscreen') and not all window managers support the strange geometries you can end up with. Also, for multiple workspaces (like in Fluxbox) you'll find both monitors will switch to a new desktop.

If you set up two screens in your XF86Config-4 file (or whatever yours is called) you can have two independent screens, each with their own window manager, background, pager, etc, but sharing the same mouse/keyboard. The XF86Config file specifies how the two screens relate to each other (e.g. you can have one to the 'LeftOf' another). This is what I use and it also allows you to use Nvidia hardware acceleration on ONE screen. Xinerama really doesn't work well with HW acceleration at all, in my experience.

Another option, which works quite nicely for two separate but networked computers with a monitor each, next to each other, with a single keyboard and mouse on ONE machine, is to use x2x. This also allows cutting and pasting text between the 'heads'.
longodj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Twinview Reply with quote

I personally despise Xinerama, it's laggy

I have an NVidia GeForce 4 Ti4600 Which I use with the nvidia driver

My X Config used twinvew. You can find config info on google

The advantages are just that twinview uses nvidia drivers, so It's fast as all hell

Also, there are the common twinview options such as on M$ windows

Hope that helps :D
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:

Another option, which works quite nicely for two separate but networked computers with a monitor each, next to each other, with a single keyboard and mouse on ONE machine, is to use x2x. This also allows cutting and pasting text between the 'heads'.

that's cool, I'll have to try x2x. A similar app is synergy. Synergy also runs in windows, which is great when I'm at work, with one gentoo machine and one win2k outlook box. I can use my linux mouse and keyboard to run both my gentoo box and my win2k machine (clipboard too)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: