View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Huge Tango Icons in KDE 4.3.1 Reply with quote

I emerged tango-icon-theme and got some interesting results. Anyone seen this before? I also tried echo-icon-theme and it did the same thing, except in different places.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks cool :lol:

But no, I haven't seen this before, but I also only tried 'Oxygen Refit Black' and 'FlatSVG'.

Did you install it via Portage or the 'Get New Icons' function in KDE?
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
looks cool :lol:

But no, I haven't seen this before, but I also only tried 'Oxygen Refit Black' and 'FlatSVG'.

Did you install it via Portage or the 'Get New Icons' function in KDE?

Portage.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and install an icon theme from the embedded get hot new stuff function, it's there for a reason. A lot more choice to begin with.

But I'll also try tango-icon-theme.

EDIT: At least the flatsvg icon theme i had installed from portage worked properly.

EDIT #2: I can reproduce the tango behavior. Seems something isn't right there... the few others I tried worked well.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported the bug for you: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=285112
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge Tango Icons in KDE 4.3.1 Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I emerged tango-icon-theme and got some interesting results. Anyone seen this before? I also tried echo-icon-theme and it did the same thing, except in different places.

Tango uses the executables from Imagemagick in it's Makefiles to generate a lot of the png's it installs - if, as frequently happens, your version of Imagemagick is a broken one, anything depending on it will experience failures...

...Though if echo-icon-theme is purely svg's, as it's ebuild-description suggests, i don't see how it would exhibit similar behaviour - does it also install png's? It doesn't appear to depend on Imagemagick as Tango does. :?
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo does the same thing but with different icons.
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i meant was that echo-icon-theme is described as an "SVG icon theme", which would therefore contain only scalable icons, which ought to look right everywhere (as long as the app supports svg's). A look through the cvs-source suggests, though, that it also installs png's, which aren't designed to be scalable, and are installed into size-based sub-directories.

What can sometimes happen is that the designated icon-theme doesn't contain an icon of the correct name in the correct size, at which point the lookup-mechanism prefers an incorrectly-sized one in the same theme, rather than a correctly-sized one in a fallback-theme.

Try this to see if Tango was incorrectly installed:-
Code:
find /usr/share/icons/Tango -iname '*other*'

That should locate the files that your illustration is using for it's "Applications" icon. My installation contains a 'categories/application-other' icon and a 'categories/gnome-other' symlink to it in each of 10 sub-directories. If you don't have all of them, it's possible that an available-but-larger one is being used, and that something (Imagemagick?) broke during installation.

Another check would be to identify the equivalent icon from the Echo theme (correctly sized) and see if the filename has the same size-coverage in both themes (and likewise in reverse to check the faulty icons in Echo). It might also pay to check how many symlinks there are to that file in each theme - the 'icon-naming-utils' package contains a script and specifications that icon-themes can use to generate these symlinks from a base set of icons, thereby covering the naming-conventions used by different desktops, but not all themes use it. :roll:

Let us know if you find anything amiss... :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: