Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New hardware, not so new to Gentoo. -- solved.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: New hardware, not so new to Gentoo. -- solved. Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been out of Gentoo for a while, but am contemplating new hardware and would like advice.

I would like a multimedia-capable box, maybe some games, but mostly software development. I'm trying to manage a core i7 920 with RAID, or possibly with a filesystem like XFS or similar.

Alternately, I might try to put VMware Infrastructure on it, and install from there.

I Do Not Like EXT filesystems anymore. I want the ability to use larger files, and would like the filesystem to be growable using volume groups and a volume manager.

I am new to:

1. multi-core CPUs
  2. growable filesystems/lvm in general, except on an old RS6000 from a decade ago. I'm really interested in learning it though.
  3. Multimedia+linux
  4. VMware Infrastructure (I have used VMware Server for years)
  5. RAID, sort of. Used it, but not on Linux. Not sure if LVMs negate the need for RAID? Not really sure which mode to pick.

I have read up on the LVM concept several times. I'm usually scared off by the damage done by a power outage. I'd like to get around that this time, get a decent battery backup and set it up to shut the machine down on failure automatically. I've never done that.

I've managed several Gentoo systems over the years, and I still like the idea of a source-based distro but I'm somewhat leery of the speed of Portage, it was terribly slow last time I checked.

This is not a server system, just a desktop. I intend to use it for work, but it's not using server hardware. No dual power supply, just a decent mid-tower with a couple good fans, and I'm trying to do it under USD $1500 or so.

I'm not a hard-core gamer. Haven't really played games for years, but it would be nice to run X-plane or similar without it being too choppy. Mostly it's going to be 2D video/multimedia, and a nice flat panel and all-digital everything. I run terminals more than anything else, oddly enough. I just want them to be smooth when I move them, or when I switch desktops.

I'm looking for recommendations or warnings on:

1. Core or quad processors and Linux. (already read up on speed comparisons, VMware-like images figure large in my scheme of things)
  2. LVM, RAID and the appropriate filesystems to use for a good "starter" strategy.
  3. Video card under $200. NVidia or ATI? Specific recommendations?
  4. Getting TV to work well, using a TV tuner card.
  5. Blu-Ray drives: Any difference in them?

Thanks.

Last edited by 1clue on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least

1) Multi-core CPUs

is completely transparent under Linux. Nothing to worry about here (check the state if i7 support, though)
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using xfs on hardware raid10 and now after 2 years i would rather choose jfs or ext3/4.Xfs is not bad but you should get a very reliable UPS ( i lost my home partition once from power outage ). I can`t force xfs_chek/repair in fstab (ext and jfs are ok with checking before mounting). To check xfs for error you shoul mount it then umount it and check it afterwards (i`m checking xfs only from livecds). (xfs + lvm)-ups=trouble :wink:
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly the sort of advice I'm looking for.

I'm not sure which fs type I will use. JFS is attractive too. I understand that any of these varieties has issues with power loss, which is why I haven't messed with them yet.

Thanks.
radio_flyer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

# Core or quad processors and Linux. (already read up on speed comparisons, VMware-like images figure large in my scheme of things)

Sometimes I think multi-core processors were invented just for Gentoo :lol: Most apps are still single-threaded, and usually the cores will sit there doing not much of anything while the app is waiting for you to type something. (Hard-core gaming being one of the exceptions obviously.) But when portage decides it's time to re-emerge OpenOffice from source, that's when I really love my quad cores and 'MAKEOPTS=-j5'. A compile-from-source distribution can never have too many cores.

I haven't noticed any significant speed-up from multi-cores in my VMWare virtual machines. Most are single-threaded OS's running single-threaded apps. My quad-core is more useful when running mutliple VMs simultaneously, but I rarely do that.

Quote:

# LVM, RAID and the appropriate filesystems to use for a good "starter" strategy.

No experience there. I just backup/mirror regularly to an external USB drive.

Quote:

# Video card under $200. NVidia or ATI? Specific recommendations?

For 2D, either is fine. For 3D, nvidia is currently the only choice IMO. The binary ATI drivers are a mess. I still prefer ATI for opening up their hardware documentation, but since they provided no source it will be a while before the Xorg team has any real 3D functionality in the open drivers. I pulled my ATI card and installed an nvidia card for this reason. I'll re-install the ATI card when the drivers catch up.

Quote:

# Getting TV to work well, using a TV tuner card.

Not sure where you're located, but if it's in the U.S. note that you'll need an ATSC tuner to receive over-the-air broadcasts. If cable, an NTSC tuner may or may not work depending on your cable company. Anyway, I gave up on TV tuner cards, and put an HDHomeRun on my network. Works flawlessly on Gentoo, and ebuilds are available in bugzilla. See
[url]
http://www.silicondust.com/
[/url]

More expensive, but way less hassle in the long run IMO.

Quote:

# Blu-Ray drives: Any difference in them?

Check out the Blue-ray threads, such as
[url]
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-691564.html
[/url]
Personally I'm avoiding Blue-ray due to all the DRM issues.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
    2. LVM, RAID and the appropriate filesystems to use for a good "starter" strategy.

Even a 2 disk stripped RAID with LVM provides a serious performance increase. I use ext2 and JFS filesystems;
ext2 for /boot portage distfiles /tmp /var/tmp
JFS on the rest - provides great performance, incredible stability, and very low resource consumption. :)
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using BTRFS here and it works rather well.

I'm also using it on 2 remote routers/servers and they've had random power outages (no UPS connected to them). They always pop back up.

I haven't checked the latest edition (0.19) yet, but 0.18 runs perfect for me, even with compression.
octavsly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: New hardware, not so new to Gentoo. Reply with quote

1clue wrote:

I would like a
multimedia-capable box,
maybe some games,
but mostly software development.

- A multimedia-capable box need to be quiet. Games (or even) soft development require power => noisy or expensive hardware to cool the thing down.

1clue wrote:
Alternately, I might try to put VMware Infrastructure on it, and install from there.

- not recommended for media/games due to speed issues.

1clue wrote:

I Do Not Like EXT filesystems anymore. I want the ability to use larger files, and would like the filesystem to be growable using volume groups and a volume manager.

- had issues with ext* in the past but not anymore. I am using ext4 now.
- I have xfs t home but I do not see any difference for my media-center

1clue wrote:

I am new to:

1. multi-core CPUs
  2. growable filesystems/lvm in general, except on an old RS6000 from a decade ago. I'm really interested in learning it though.
  3. Multimedia+linux
  4. VMware Infrastructure (I have used VMware Server for years)
  5. RAID, sort of. Used it, but not on Linux. Not sure if LVMs negate the need for RAID? Not really sure which mode to pick.

- multi-core CPUs: nu fuss under linux. Just need to activate it when you compile the kernel.
- growable file systems...Don't really see the need for that unless it is a server. Your box will probably not handle to many hard-disk anyway. If you change the disc you just copy the old content to new one, rewrite MBR and you are ready to fly.
- RAID definitely important. For my "production" box I have a RAID1 + weekly I do spashots on an LVM backup server. There I need LVM to keep increasing the size of the backup.
- Multimedia: recommend MythTV. I use it since 2006. It is the not most stabel system but it does the job.
- VMware, not recommended again also due to the license fee (am I right here?)
- UPS good but for servers. Maybe a ESD protection can also help, which is much cheaper.

1clue wrote:

I've managed several Gentoo systems over the years, and I still like the idea of a source-based distro but I'm somewhat leery of the speed of Portage, it was terribly slow last time I checked.

- what exactly was slow: compiling or the emerge before compilation started.

1clue wrote:

1. Core or quad processors and Linux. (already read up on speed comparisons, VMware-like images figure large in my scheme of things)
  3. Video card under $200. NVidia or ATI? Specific recommendations?
  4. Getting TV to work well, using a TV tuner card.
  5. Blu-Ray drives: Any difference in them?

http://www.dvbshop.net/index.php
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, glad you all replied, lots of good info here.

I bought the parts to start with, and here's how it's set up:
Core i7 920
3x2g ddr3, 1600 mhz, best timing I could find, but not gaming memory. I don't intend to overclock.
Asus P6T motherboard.
WDCantRememberExactlyWhat 750g 10000 rpm.

I installed Ubuntu on it because I didn't know exactly what course to take for some of this hardware. I'll get around to Gentoo probably this weekend, maybe on a different drive. Filesystems:
/ -- XFS
/boot --ext2
/reiser -- reiser

I'm thinking of getting either 2 or 4 more drives, and maybe a RAID card for real hardware RAID. Thinking about LVM and striping.

The reiser partition happened because I discovered how absolutely hideous mysql's performance is on XFS. JFS would have been worse, according to the test results. Reiser is very quick for mysql.

I will be running several VMs. Some VMware instances are free of charge. I don't really know which OS VMs are stable, fully functional and fast. I don't care so much about the price of the software, as much as stability and robustness. For my VM purposes, I will need to duplicate an exact OS, so if there's Windows on there I'll have to buy a license anyway. That part is billable to work anyway, it will be their license.

The HomeRun thing looks cool, I saw it in the store but didn't buy anything yet. What client you use for it in Linux? Cost went over the temporary budget.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
/ -- XFS

xfs is a in my opinion a very bad choice for /.

It is much slower than ext3/4/reiserfs at small files. Faster at large files than (ext3/reiserfs) bug generally on / you have no large files and lots of small files. Well at least I do not.

I have made the mistake of formatting a few / as xfs only to back out of that at a later time. ext4 is a good choice for /.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay

Last edited by drescherjm on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe a RAID card for real hardware RAID.

For 2 to 4 drives on a modern machine (any dual core >2GHz chip) you will not notice the difference between true hardware raid and linux software raid. Well except for the fact that with the software raid you will have $300 to $400 US extra in your pocket. These systems will use less than 7% CPU usage for the software raid compare that to 3% for hardware.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:

I'm thinking of getting either 2 or 4 more drives, and maybe a RAID card for real hardware RAID.

I`m very happy with my Areca1210 PCIe SATA hardware RAID card.But you should use RAID edition HDDs if you don`t want any trouble ;)
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

I'm brand new to non-ext filesystems, so I'm learning a lot here. My hardware must be even faster than I was thinking if XFS is that bad for small files. It seems stupid fast now, but again I'm upgrading from an old, tuckered-out P4 with minimum hardware.

This Ubuntu distro on here now is a temporary thing. I like it enough, it's shiny and fresh looking, but ever since my first Gentoo I've found fault with how everyone else arranges things, especially Debian and variants.

One thing I definitely want is large file storage, VMware instances for example, or maybe I'll get into using my camcorder again. I guess it can be a subdirectory. Not so enamored with EXT unless maybe EXT4 lets you have larger files. Maybe Reiser for /?

FWIW, I was thinking hardware raid because it's that much less to go wrong later. The card only costs around $150, so maybe things have dropped a bit since you last looked? Or am I again missing something.

What sort of performance hit to you get for LVM in a real system? I'd really like to try it out, if for no other reason than to learn it. I also wind up regretting not doing it at some point in an install.

I'm thinking along the lines of having my / on a non-raid drive, with mode 0 for my data and high-hit-rate stuff. I have a Blu-ray burner, so I can back up fairly large stuff on a single disk. Most of my stuff is small related to that, and most of it is not that critical anyway.

I intend to do real work on this thing, but in a large part it's an electronic playground, to figure out all the stuff I haven't had time to figure out since back in the day.

Thanks.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The card only costs around $150

Doubtful that a $150 card is a true hardware raid card. Does it have a ram cache? If not its unlikely that it is a hardware card. Also hardware raid will not be easier to setup and is definitely not more reliable than linux software raid. Software in my opinion is better at recovering when things go wrong. One reason is with mdadm you can force assemblies while hardware raid cards do not always allow you to force them to do this. However since we are talking about a 4 drive controller to me this does not make a lot of sense. I mean with 4 drives you can have raid 5 (I would never use a 3 drive raid5) or raid 0 or raid 10 or raid 6. Raid 6 with 4 drives does not make any sense. raid 0 or raid 10 will not make much use of the hardware controller so your only real raid option is a 4 drive raid 5. And that will save you 3 to 4% cpu usage on a low end dual core of today.

Quote:
EXT4 lets you have larger files

With extents ext4 is as fast as xfs (I use both for TBs of data) for large files without the small file penalty that xfs has.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about an LVM without RAID? If I put each volume group on more than one drive, will the LVM spread the files out to improve speed?
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never ever use lvm without every pv being a raid. If you want raid 0 set that up with mdadm

BTW, on 9 out of 11 arrays I have running at work (> 20TB using 50+ SATA harddrives) I am using LVM on top of a software raid 5 or 6.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:

With extents ext4 is as fast as xfs (I use both for TBs of data) for large files without the small file penalty that xfs has.

How big are your files? Can ext4 have a 50g file without suffering on the small files? How about 200g?
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
I would never ever use lvm without every pv being a raid. If you want raid 0 set that up with mdadm

Why is this? AFAIK, there is no underlying reliability problem with LVM. The JFS systems we ran on AIX weren't RAID, but they used an LVM and it worked fine. Is there something I don't know yet, after browsing off and on for months?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
Quote:
maybe a RAID card for real hardware RAID.

For 2 to 4 drives on a modern machine (any dual core >2GHz chip) you will not notice the difference between true hardware raid and linux software raid. Well except for the fact that with the software raid you will have $300 to $400 US extra in your pocket. These systems will use less than 7% CPU usage for the software raid compare that to 3% for hardware.

Yeah cost me 400 euros (i suppose $400 as they love to convert dollar to euros on a 1 on 1 base to steal us).
The card have its own battery, so on power outrage, card keep cached datas in it and rewrote then when power come back.
Now look out, you really don't notice a difference ?
Code:

hdparm -t /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  500 MB in  3.01 seconds = 166.30 MB/sec
hdparm -t /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  876 MB in  3.01 seconds = 291.41 MB/sec

sda are sata1, sdb are sas.
edit: i only use ext3, that is for me the more reliable fs.

About my cpu what i could say is that the 4 cores are ok, the HT ones are jokes, nearly never works. So expect the icore to grant you 4 working cores, and forget the HT.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a tone change going on here.

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to learn something from people who are using what I intend to use, and to understand their reasoning as well as their results. I'm not deliberately asking questions that don't make sense, if you think it doesn't then maybe I need to know something.

I'm also willing to RTFM if you know a place I should read to get an answer. I've R'd several FM's and the questions I'm asking here are mostly things that I didn't see addressed, or maybe didn't understand from the FM. Sometimes there seems to be background assumptions that I'm unaware of.

FWIW, I would like to get SAS drives too, but my motherboard doesn't support SAS. Which would mean getting an external card, which you guys seem to be arguing against as a waste of money.

Also, keep in mind I'm not going to be too heartbroken if I lose some information. I'm pretty good about backups, and generally the only thing I really care about is my email address book. everything else is stored on something else, or is expendable. If I were running a business from this machine I would be much more interested in a really good RAID card and less interested in experimentation.

I'm using a decent battery backup too, more than enough to keep the system up for an hour. I'll see about hooking it up so the system shuts down during power outage -- again, mostly so I know how in case I really need it.

I'm not so fascinated with RAID that I'll go through a lot of effort, but LVM is definitely tickling my fancy. Which is why I asked about LVM without RAID.

I'll probably wind up with 2 drives plus the boot drive, and see what I can get from that combo. The distro will go on the boot drive, and the mutable stuff will go onto the array.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: