Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xorg-server 1.5.3-r7 : when will it go stable ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E001754
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: xorg-server 1.5.3-r7 : when will it go stable ? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Please, take no offense with that, but I have one question, for which I haven't been able to find any answer on the gentoo site or in the forums.
It's about xorg-server 1.5.3-r7, which is currently ~amd64.
I'm waiting for that one to be stable, as it's needed for upgrading ati-drivers (i'm on 9.3 version), and being also able to upgrade the kernel from my current 2.6.25 to 2.6.30 as the 2.6.30 is -partially- correcting a long bug about SATA latencies that makes HDD slower than they could be, especially when it comes to simultaneous accesses.

As you can understand, this upgrade is important for many reasons for my concern. I also think that potentially many gentoo users are stucked as I am with an old version of ati-drivers because xorg-server 1.5.3-r7 is ~amd64 (and ~x86).

I went through the bugzilla and saw nothing special about 1.5.3-r7. The only blocking bug is about an older version of xorg-server.

So, my question would be : what is bloking the stability of xorg-server ?

Please, just understand that post as an end-user request. I'm professionnally very involved in IT problems. I know the difficulty of testing software, it's always very long and painfull. I also know that there is many interferences between programs.

This topic is only to know the reason and, eventually, know if things are about to end or not.

Note that I'm on stable gentoo and I don't want to keyword xorg-server, as xorg-server is too much core item for me to risk the ~ on that one.
I want to stick the most possible with gentoo stable. I only keyworded ati-drivers and few auxiliary packages like digikam or some codecs.
Note also that I need the fglrx as I want to play games with my gentoo. I can't switch now on drivers like radeon / radeonhd for this particular reason.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already keyworded ati-drivers, then you might as well move on and do the same with =xorg-server-1.5.3-r7 - that minor version bump will most likely fix things rather than break anything. Not seeing any blockers on bugzilla, I think it's simply ~amd64 to give it some time and will be unmasked any time soon...
E001754
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honnest, I tried to keyword that xorg-server minor revision, only to see that X wouldn't launch anymore. Reverting back to previous version restored things.
I don't think that any config file has to be maintained in anyway for such minor upgrade, do I ?

Or perhaps should I try again this upgrade, once without switching the ati-drivers, then upgrading the drivers, to see where it blocks things ?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it again without upgrading the ati-drivers, but don't forget to recompile the existing version, and also make sure you compile it against the correct kernel version (check the kernel symlink).

If it won't launch again, check your Xorg.0.log for errors (cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "EE").
E001754
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't !
Sorry. I just remember that for upgrading to xorg-server-1.5.3-r7, I need the most recent ati-drivers, as it is in the xorg dependencies.
However, that should just work.

I will then be able to upgrade my kernel (for 2.6.30 I need ati-drivers 9.8 or later as there is no support for >2.6.29 kernel in earlier versions).

I'll try that in next coming days and post out the result there.

Thanks for you answer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: