AMD Segfaults in Bootsrap
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtza7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: AMD Segfaults in Bootsrap Reply with quote

I have seen many people in the forums with the exact problem that I have. All their CPUs where AMD by make, and nearly all where told that they have faulty hardware. :( The mear fact that I'm writing this sujests that it's not the hardware but the software.

Situation:

You are happely and without any deviation performing a standard Gentoo installation. Nothing was skipped, you even zeroed your entier 30+ GB HD. After partitioning and formating and mounting and extracting the stage 1 tarball on the CD, and after you did an emerge sync, you proceed to bootstrapping.

All goes well - for a short while - you even get past a few packages. Then you hit gcc and presto! Segmentation Fault!

You go to the forum on your trusty Knoppix CD (or beeing a Gentoo Finatic, you probably have more than 2 PCs anyway :) ), and search the forums for seg faults (Well I did). After finding what seems to be an answer, you find yourself doing a tests on the hardware, in such detail that you are the prime bug reporter for AMD! 48 sleepless hours later, you frustratingly give up. I hope for your part, you figured out by now, it's NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!!

I suggest that the base system has some fatal flaw and that some sick person submited a bug as part of the new glibc (2.3.2-rc*). OK, I know, it is an unstable release. I guess that GCC might also be to blame. It might not be glibc, but mabe, since there is no build for an AMD older than the Athlon-XP, the build was performed on an Intel CPU and here we are. To quote the Linux From Scratch howto:

This package is known to behave badly when you have changed its default optimization flags (including the -march and -mcpu options). Glibc is best left alone. Therefore, if you have defined any environment variables that override default optimizations, such as CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, we recommend unsetting or modifying them when building Glibc. You have been warned.

Also, don't pass the --enable-kernel option to the configure script. It's known to cause segmentation faults when other packages like fileutils, make and tar are linked against it.

I would like to put glibc 2.2.5-* into my new base directory, I know how, but how do I merge it into the portage database?

Any help, testimonials or anything else would help.

Jens. (South Africa) 8)
bonsaikitten
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I misread you, but did you install an experimental version of glibc with athlon optimizations on an intel machine :?:
To
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you downloaded the wrong live cd version.

------------------------------------------------
Linux Gandalf 3.2.35-grsec
Gentoo Base System version 2.2
------------------------------------------------
jtza7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the sketchy details, here they are:

Live CD: 1.4 (20030806)
    Processor: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.1GH
    Mother Board: A7V KT133
    Ram: 256MB
    HD: 30 GB
    Windows: No
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtza7 wrote:
Any help, testimonials or anything else would help.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, but you are having a hardware problem, trust me.

I have a bunch of homebuilt machines, all AMD Athlon or Athlon XP. I never noticed any stability problems when running Windows or Mandrake or Debian, but as soon as I tried Gentoo, I was hit with segmentation faults all over the place. The things that I needed to run a stable AMD system are :
Good quality power supply ($$)
Good quality heatsink + fan ($$)
Don't overclock
Good quality RAM ($$)
- or if you prefer cheap RAM like me, you may need to underclock it.

By experimenting a little, all my systems are now able to install Gentoo from stage1 without any errors.
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm, strange.

I've got an Athlon XP 1700+ running fine with no segfaults on bootstrap, and I have an Athlon Tbird 1Ghz upstairs running fine, but there were errors on bootstrap, specific segfaults on baselayout. What I did to solve it? I ran a stage3 setup and then when the base system was up and running (IE: I could login without the LiveCD) I set my new CFlags and CXXFlags and changed the CHOST setting from i486 to i686, then did an emerge -e system && emerge -e world overnight
40GB WD 7200RPM (37.1GB)
120GB WD 8MB 7200RPM (111GB)
160GB WD 8MB 7200RPM (149GB)
40GB WD 7200RPM (37.1GB)
Pioneer DVR-A06 4x DVD±RW
HP CD-RW 9500i (12x8x32x)
jtza7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Been testing. Reply with quote

I Kapp'en Cyrillic, it was the 'ardware!
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Causes of Segfaults/Segmentation Fault Reply with quote

jtza7 wrote:
I Kapp'en Cyrillic, it was the 'ardware!

Thought I'd give you the thumbs up and tell you I have been having somewhat random Segmentation Faults on an Intel system (PII 350) which I have owned for quite a time now. It took me a year (and lots of hardware change) but I finally got rid of the source(s) for these Segfaults.

All in all, it came down to hardware, as it is mostly the case when you get a Segmentation Fault... To get rid of the problems I had to take the computer COMPLETELY apart and clean all contacts (RAM, PCI, ISA, CPU) with a soft (white) eraser and also clean them with rubbing alcool. This cleaning includes taking apart the power supply. Once I got rid of all the dust and cleaned all the contacts, the "random" Segmentation Faults disappeared completely.

So don't feel bad about your AMD segfaulting, it happens to us too...and sometimes can be a costly experience in hardware replacement.

Cheers!
mangobrain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are those of us with laptops supposed to do? Take them back? I don't fancy that, or opening it up. My bootstrap was segfaulting all over the place. I ruled out faulty RAM, ruled out corrupt sectors in the swap partition, didn't do anything other than follow installation instructions to the letter...
in the end, I just gave up and unpacked a stage1 tarball. I've since managed to do a perfectly good "emerge system" and compile 2 2.6.0-test5 kernels (I left devfs out first time round, and it can't be modularised :|); as I type this, XFree86 is compiling away with seemingly no problems.

It's possible that it's just heat issues - whether you're overclocking or not. When a system's working hard, it can still be pushed over the edge, regardless of whether it's a desktop or a laptop. During the summer I get all manner of video card problems, from minor visual artefacts to BSODs, on a stock GeForce3 in my desktop machine (I'm probably making it sound worse than it is - this is not an everyday thing, and will only happen after hours of gaming :) so don't go telling me I need to replace or clean my card).
I don't know for sure, but I suspect heat was causing the bootstrap failures on my laptop - the ACPI kernel on the install CD isn't functional (no acpid, no acpi kernel modules), so the fan speed never increased regardless of CPU temp. On the currently running 2.6 kernel, ACPI seems to work like a charm - I've listened to the fan sound change as extra cooling kicks in during heavy workloads.

Compiling gcc and glibc one after the other with virtually no other processes to get in the way is going to push any system's cooling to the limits, and sometimes it just isn't up to it. Whilst cleaning all your contacts can't hurt, it was probably removal of the dust that collects and clogs heatsinks and fans that did the trick.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to chime in with the bootstrapping issue too. I also have an AMD athlon thunderbird 1.1ghz and I have not been able to bootstrap until today. and even that took a couple of times.

I dont know if you consider a computer freeze as a segfault but that is what happened.

It is really hard for me to pinpoint what the problem is however because I have tested the ram and the cpu and the video card. I can only guess that perhaps the motherboard is faulty somehow (ecs k7vzm kt133 chipset) or it is just getting too hot. About 3 or 4 months ago, I had a bad powersupply and because it still worked, it took a while before I figured it out....I had a different motherboard then so when it gave out, I tried the curren mobo (the ecs) and it worked for a while. It took a lot of googling before I came up with the bad powersupply...I had no idea that a bad power supply would still turn on......

So, because I used this bad power supply with current mobo, it is hard to tell if the random freezes were caused by the cpu going out or the mobo whackin' out?

Now that the weather is cooler, I have been able to get things up and running. I did have an issue the first bootstrap right after gcc. I thought I was home free and then it crapped out.

I wish there was a way of gradually bootstrapping rather than the all or nothing approach.

I could go on forever, but I should end this now before it gets way too long.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
Now that the weather is cooler, I have been able to get things up and running. I did have an issue the first bootstrap right after gcc. I thought I was home free and then it crapped out.

I wish there was a way of gradually bootstrapping rather than the all or nothing approach.

Have you tried underclocking during bootstrap ?
If you lower the FSB in the BIOS from 133MHz to 100MHz, the CPU would run a little cooler (and slower)

Depending on how much you can slow down the computer, it might even qualify as "gradually bootstrapping" :D
mangobrain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't despair!
if you have to give up and go for a stage2 install, do so. you can always rebuild everything later if you like. I really don't know why the bootstrap process is so unstable - but if your machine can unpack a stage2 tarball and make it through an "emerge system", then just keep going, the kernel compiled for the install might turn out to be much more stable. I didn't bother rebuilding everything after install, but even so the only thing not specifically optimized for my machine is the compiler chain, and I can live with that. Right now I'm running a 2.6.0-test5 kernel, with ACPI working, using XFree 4.3 with NVidia's accelerated drivers, posting this via "links -g"... got a way to go yet if I want to build GNOME or similar, but it seems as if the instabilities do NOT continue once you move away from the livecd's kernel. I just finished verifying that ALSA is working, too. :D
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem on a number of AMD machines.

I was getting segfaults at different times, like even extracting the stage tarball

I tested the cd on my AMD machine at home and it worked fine

I mem tested the machines, prime95 stress tested the machines, passed every time.

so I booted back to the gentoo live cd and passed
Quote:
gentoo noapic nodetect nohotplug noraid

and my problems went away

I have a feeling it was apic problem

maybe try disabling as much on live cd boot as possible to see if it helps.

Chris
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um. As you can see, I have an Athlon Thunderbird. I bootstrapped without any problems, have compiled kde four (yes, 4) times, have compiled gcc three times since firstboot and have compiled gnome several times too. No random segfaults here, and I have a 250W power supply, bargain basement fan and RAM that cost next to nothing.
Registered Linux User #263260
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Have you tried underclocking during bootstrap ?If you lower the FSB in the BIOS from 133MHz to 100MHz, the CPU would run a little cooler (and slower)

Depending on how much you can slow down the computer, it might even qualify as "gradually bootstrapping" :D

It already only runs at 100mhz. so I dont think that is it. I will be building a new computer soon and maybe I will be able to figure out what the problem is/was. will be getting a new hard drive first to test and then I will go for the new motherboard.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

C
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
I dont know if you consider a computer freeze as a segfault but that is what happened.

It is really hard for me to pinpoint what the problem is however because I have tested the ram and the cpu and the video card.

[... snip ...]

Logic dictates.... the symptoms you are describing points to some overheating component in your system (could me north bridge or CPU). The obvious pointer at that is the fact that you get further in your bootstrap now that "the weather has cooled".

Try putting a big fan in front of your casing (opend of course) and see what difference it makes.

(I had the same type of problem with an old pII 233 that would freese when doing intense stuff such as compiling :P)
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyron wrote:

Logic dictates.... the symptoms you are describing points to some overheating component in your system (could me north bridge or CPU). The obvious pointer at that is the fact that you get further in your bootstrap now that "the weather has cooled".

Try putting a big fan in front of your casing (opend of course) and see what difference it makes.

(I had the same type of problem with an old pII 233 that would freese when doing intense stuff such as compiling :P)

Yea, I would have to agree with you on the heating. It just seems so random....but I also didnt believe a power supply could cause so many problems.

i have tried the fan in front of the case and it works sometimes. When I was doing some other research on heating/cooling issues, I discovered that the heatsink fan and the thermal paste I am using are not the ones AMD recommends. I thought the heatsink with that sticky pad stuff was crap and yet on AMD site, they say that is good and thermal paste bad.

I will definitely look into the case fans and maybe a power supply with better cooling.

I appreciate these suggestions. This is one of the great things I love about our forums. Nice people like you [all]

But once i get all the other componetes for my new system (birthday coming soon) I will ditch this system and give to hubby and children..... :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: