Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Cannot emerge ati-drivers (all drivers are masked)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boris_Bollokov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Cannot emerge ati-drivers (all drivers are masked) Reply with quote

I am new to linux and gentoo. This is my first experience with linux.

I installed the kernel using the installation manual found on the gentoo site.

I am trying to install X Server using "The X Server Configuration HOWTO" Manual.

I have done emerge xorg-server prior to intalling the ati drivers (Dont knowif that makes any difference)

Some System Details:

CPU: Intel
Kernel: 2.6.30-gentoo-r6
Graphics Gard: R700 chipset

My problem now is that i can't install ati-drivers. When I try to emerge ati-drivers, the system says:

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.6" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.8 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)

This is some of the error log, further down it keeps mentioning that other ati-drivers are also masked. Then there is some addtional info that sasy that we shouldnt be using these drivers anymore.

If needed i can post a complete error log.

I would appreciate some help on this. Been googeling for last two days, now just gave up.

Cheers
tb5342
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the error message look like this?

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "x11-drivers/ati-drivers" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.9-r2 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
- x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.9 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
- x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.660 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org> (28 Jul 2009)
# Upstream decided to support only r600 and newer.
# We should no longer use them or depend on them.
# For more info:
# http://dev.gentoo.org/~scarabeus/ati-mask-reason.txt

- x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.593 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 (masked by: package.mask)

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

If yes, you have two choices.

option-001) Use the ATI/AMD binary, masked driver and migrate to the open driver when the binary driver is no longer produced by ATI/AMD.
Code:
echo "x11-drivers/ati-drivers" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
emerge ati-drivers

...or

option-002) Use the ATI/AMD open, supported driver
Code:
emerge xf86-video-ati

Option-002 is your best bet unless you need the binary driver for some reason (games?, google earth?)

Reference: http://dev.gentoo.org/~scarabeus/ati-mask-reason.txt
Boris_Bollokov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for reply.

Yes this is the error message that i am getting. Escept that mine says

- x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.8 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
- x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.660 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)

instead of

- x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.9-r2 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
- x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.9 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)

This got to be trivial.

I tried your advice number 1:

Code:
echo "x11-drivers/ati-drivers" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
emerge ati-drivers

But i dont have directory called /portage in /etc. I tried creating this directory in /etc and making the package.keywords file but that didn't effect the masking. Same error.
I have portage directory under /usr directory but there is no package.keywords file in there.

I dont know if this is anything to do with the recent kernel-2.6.30-gentoo-r6.

I am going to try option 2 now.

BTW. What is you VIDEO_DEVICES variable set to? I set mine to just VIDEO_DEVICES="fglrx".

The only reason i wanted to install ATI drivers because when i run Xorg -configure[b][i], I would get an error "No devices detected". But recently re-emerge Xorg and now i cna Xorg Configure without installing ATI drivers. Hell knows..
tb5342
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's option-002 working for you?

Your 'VIDEO_CARDS=' in /etc/make.conf should be (per: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/ati-migration-guide.xml)
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

I would suggest installing the 'vesa' driver as well as a fall back. It looks bad and is laggy but it always works. If that sounds good to you, do this instead of the above:
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon vesa"

The link above has good information about configuring xorg with the ati open driver. Please take a look at it.
Boris_Bollokov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option two worked the ati drivers successfully merged.

Thanks.
Boris_Bollokov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to conclude on this:

When I tried to emerge ati-drivers, I was actually trying to install old binary drivers that wouldn't work with my chipset(R700) anyway and that is the reason why they were masked. Since the error said:

# For more info:

Therefore I had to install open source driver via emerge xf86-video-ati, as you suggested.

What does it mean: Upstream decided to support only r600 and newer?

Does it mean that ATI would only support r600 and newer chipset with thier proprietary binary drivers such as "fglrx"

"fglrx" is the proprietary ATI binary driver and emerge xf86-video-ati is an open source.

If both can support 3d acceleration what's the diffrence apart from being open source?

What version Xorg should I be running?

Another question.

When I set VIDEO_CARDS variable to "fglrx" and did emerge xorg-server, at that point proprietary ATI binary drives (for r600 and newer chipset) would have been pulled and installed along with Xorg?

Thansk a lot.
tb5342
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I tried to emerge ati-drivers, I was actually trying to install old binary drivers that wouldn't work with my chipset(R700) anyway and that is the reason why they were masked. Since the error said:

# For more info:

Therefore I had to install open source driver via emerge xf86-video-ati, as you suggested.

What does it mean: Upstream decided to support only r600 and newer?

Does it mean that ATI would only support r600 and newer chipset with thier proprietary binary drivers such as "fglrx"

"fglrx" is the proprietary ATI binary driver and emerge xf86-video-ati is an open source.

Either the proprietary or open driver should work with your card. You can use the proprietary driver if you like by unmasking it, adding it to VIDEO_CARDS, emerging xorg-server, and updating xorg.conf. ATI will eventually cease to supoort your card and you'll need to migrate to the open driver.

Quote:
If both can support 3d acceleration what's the diffrence apart from being open source?

Feature wise, I don't know. If the proprietary driver causes your kernel to panic, it can not be debugged.

Quote:
What version Xorg should I be running?

Run the stable version unless the Gentoo doc says otherwise.

Quote:
When I set VIDEO_CARDS variable to "fglrx" and did emerge xorg-server, at that point proprietary ATI binary drives (for r600 and newer chipset) would have been pulled and installed along with Xorg?

True.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.
radio_flyer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATI graphics are a real mess currently. Your best option is to do what you've done--install the open source radeon driver, along with vesa as a backup. This will give you reasonable 2D acceleration (better than the fglrx binary driver actually).

For 3D acceleration, however, your only option is the binary driver. The open source drivers currently only support 3D fully on R500 or older cards. Note that 3D is only necessary for Google Earth, Compiz Fusion, some games, etc. If you're not doing any of that stuff, stop reading now.

If you need 3D, you'll need to install the fglrx binary, which, as you've already discovered, is masked. This is what I had to do to get the fglrx binary driver working on my system (before I yanked it out and installed an nvidia card):

Unmask the driver in '/etc/portage/package.keywords' (ie put the following line in that file--create it if it doesn't already exist):
Quote:

x11-drivers/ati-drivers

The following options must be enabled in the kernel (I'm not sure which kernel you used or if genkernel does this for you--I build my own kernels):

• Bus Options-->enable_deprecated_pci_find
  • Kernel Hacking-->config unused/obsolete exported symbols

It's a good idea to put 'nopat' on the kernel command line (in /boot/grub/grub.conf) to prevent 'pauses' in the binary 3D driver.

You'll also need to 'eselect opengl list' and then 'eselect opengl set X' where X is the number of the fglrx driver (the driver installation usually, but not always, does this for you).

For the open source driver, all you need to do is make sure 'eselect opengl list' shows xorg-x11 as the opengl provider. You should also make sure that the 'drm' and 'radeon' modules are loaded at startup, by naming them in the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel2.6 file. (For the binary driver, 'drm' and 'fglrx' should be in that file instead.)

In '/etc/make.conf', the VIDEO_CARDS line should contain "fglrx' for the binary driver, and "radeon" for the open source driver.

Good progress is being made on the 3D open-source drivers for ATI, and ATI is to be commended for releasing their hardware specs. However, there is still a lot of work needed to get the drivers to a usable 3D state. These two sites are a bit heavy for new users, but contain the best information on the progress of the ATI drivers:
[url]
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home
[/url]
In particular, check out the forums on the Phoronix site.

[url]
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon
[/url]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: