How to add amarok2 media device applet?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beerbellyswan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: How to add amarok2 media device applet? Reply with quote

Hi all - i've been using amarok2 for several weeks now, and still have still have not been able to figure out how add the media device applet! i've seen several people on the message boards with the same problem, but no clear resolution. One person found a green star on the bottom left hand pane that did this, but i dont have that star. does anyhow know how to do this?

thanks!
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarok2 handles media devices different than Amarok(1), at least thats what I've heard, I started with Amarok2. I find that it just adds the device as a collection on the collection tree. The device must be set up to correctly communicate with the computer and then amarok2 must be recompiled for it to communicate with the device (this is important, I was working with a mtp device and it took me a lot of frusteration to get it to communicate with amarok). Then it's just plug and play. I found this webpage that tells what needs to be done for most devices: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Media_Devices
Hope that helps
beerbellyswan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cctsurf -

Quote:
Then it's just plug and play

this is the part that doesn't make sense - "IT" doesn't show up. The device is mounted, and i can access the device via other methods (such as gtkpod, and the terminal), but amarok doesn't make it available!

Quote:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Media_Devices

This webpage is one of many pages that doesn't actually provide any information for how to use Amarok to bring up the media devices applet. They all provide information based on the assumption that the media devices applet is already up.

The trouble is - where is the instructions that say something like "click File->Media Devices->Add Device" or something like that!?
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, but I've used an ipod (actually an iphone) with amarok, did you enable the ipod use flag? and recompile amarok? I was extremely frustrated getting my mtd device working, and then once I rebuilt amarok, having the right use flag (I'm sorry I forgot about the use flag), then it just showed up as a music library in amarok.
Quote:
The trouble is - where is the instructions that say something like "click File->Media Devices->Add Device" or something like that!?

There are none, because in amarok2, you don't need to, plug it in, and amarok should find it, if you can communicate with the ipod via gtkpod, I would assume that getting the ipod use flag going and recompiling amarok should do the trick...
hope that helps.
beerbellyswan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - ipod is fully compiled correctly. i can actually play the content of my ipod from the "play media" drop down box. but the media device applet is nowhere to be found.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: