Searched...still having LILO problems...STRANGE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slackhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Searched...still having LILO problems...STRANGE Reply with quote

I've just recently started the Gentoo install. For quite some time, I've been a faithful Slackware user. I like testing other distros, and decided to give Gentoo a go.

I did a stage3 install. Everything went fine until it came to lilo.

I couldn't get it to work from Gentoo, so I decided I'd just add the entires to my existing lilo config that I boot Slackware from. I get the error: fatal open image /boot/bzImage no such file or directory

Here's the STRANGE thing...at my lilo boot screen, the parition I used to install Gentoo USE to house Peanut Linux (/dev/hdb6). Well...since lilo won't update because of the above error...out of curiousity, I tried the Peanut entry. It booted to Gentoo!!??? WTF?

So...lilo says there's no /boot/bzImage file or directory? Well...Gentoo says there is...plainly nested in the /boot directory is bzImage. I even copied it to the / directory and got the same error after chaning lilo to image=/bzImage

So...how is it that I'm booting Gentoo with the old /boot/vmlinuz entry of Peanut!? Yet, I cannot add the /boot/bzImage entry and change the label? This has BLOWN my mind.

I'm still a little confused about the whole boot partition for Gentoo...I made it...but, what's it for? Especially if I decide to go with an existing boot loader.

I'm a little confused about all this and would like to get it working properly...well, Gentoo is WORKING...just not the way I want it.

Thanks for the help.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post Slackware's /etc/lilo.conf and your current partition layout ?
slackhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update...OK, got LILO to work from Gentoo's side...except...I got the same type of errors when I tried added my other Linux partitions; Slackware and JAMD. XP loaded fine.

Well...since Gentoo was down, I wasn't finished installing it completely (still haven't, gotta get some CD2 stuff installed)...I used my Slackware boot CD...reinstalled LILO...added the Gentoo entry...IT WORKS!

WEIRD!!!

I liked seeing Larry the Cow on my frame buffer boot...but TUX is ok.

Now...either my cdrom isn't mounting right (runs LiveCD fine) or cd2.iso is BLANK...hmm.

Thanks for the reply...but, for now, I think I have it temporarily fixed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: